The Daily Index Trader

The attached graph of the correlation in recent months between the CAC & DAX may be interesting.

Correlation is presently .959 - Highest would be 1.00.

That looks like a very useful tool and may help explain why DIT hasnt performed as well this month as it did in August. Can you let people on the forum know where you got it? Many thanks

Well I've placed my trades this morning and both seem to be going negative. Is this because there is no correlation this morning as Ian HDIT says? Both indices seem to have moved against me instead of one being positive and the other negative. Is anyone else getting the same?

Well I've placed my trades this morning and both seem to be going negative. Is this because there is no correlation this morning as Ian HDIT says? Both indices seem to have moved against me instead of one being positive and the other negative. Is anyone else getting the same?

Unfortunately both negative at the moment, it is a case of wait and see. Started early September so a pretty poor run so far. If there is a private forum on this DIT would someone please add me to the list.
Thanks & Good Trading to all
Alastair

I'm out of the DAX, need a repeat performance from the CAC just like yesterday! Germany Factory Orders News Announcement at 11am - hopefully that pushes both of them to the upside!

Unfortunately both negative at the moment, it is a case of wait and see. Started early September so a pretty poor run so far. If there is a private forum on this DIT would someone please add me to the list.
Thanks & Good Trading to all
Alastair

Welcome Alistair,

I've added you. Good luck (y)

Today doesn't look good, no corrolation between cac/dax, cac was already up more then 3% before we placed trades, looks bit tired. I hope this system is able to cope with market turbulance, becuase we'll seing more of it again!!

I agree Prince trader, it was obvious when it came to placing the trade that there was no correlation, and chances were the CAC was going to pull back which doesnt bode well especially since we are out of the DAX

That looks like a very useful tool and may help explain why DIT hasnt performed as well this month as it did in August. Can you let people on the forum know where you got it? Many thanks

It's an old piece of software buried in my collection from the days when I used to day trade US stocks & pairs. Interestingly, looking back over a rather longer period there appears to be much less correlation between DAX & CAC.

The usual idea with correlations is to find which instruments are highly [un]correlated. You can then trade correlated stocks in the same direction, or take opposite positions in uncorrelated stocks.

For example, if Microsoft and Adobe are highly correlated and Microsoft rises following, say, good earnings you might trade Adobe long expecting it to rise in a similar way. If you bought Microsoft directly you might have missed much of its move. In buying Adobe you hope to benefit from a much larger part of the move when (IF!) it comes.

Vice versa for uncorrelated stocks.

Well out of the DAX and by default we are trading the news...

Any comments on the staking plans with DIT? I was wondering what experience others have had?

Well out of the DAX and by default we are trading the news...

Any comments on the staking plans with DIT? I was wondering what experience others have had?

I use the simple compound to keep a tight control of the risk as I don't want a varying amount of risk from the enhanced profits plan.

It's an old piece of software buried in my collection from the days when I used to day trade US stocks & pairs. Interestingly, looking back over a rather longer period there appears to be much less correlation between DAX & CAC.

The usual idea with correlations is to find which instruments are highly [un]correlated. You can then trade correlated stocks in the same direction, or take opposite positions in uncorrelated stocks.

For example, if Microsoft and Adobe are highly correlated and Microsoft rises following, say, good earnings you might trade Adobe long expecting it to rise in a similar way. If you bought Microsoft directly you might have missed much of its move. In buying Adobe you hope to benefit from a much larger part of the move when (IF!) it comes.

Vice versa for uncorrelated stocks.

Thank you Levll

a question, is there some historical backtesting evidence for this system going back previous to 2009? as you should beware that it is easy to fit a system to perform well over a fixed timeframe, which then when forward tested fails to perform... as mentioned in the above post the CAX/DAX correlation can and will vary, especially given how well the German economy is growing.

my 2c..

a question, is there some historical backtesting evidence for this system going back previous to 2009? as you should beware that it is easy to fit a system to perform well over a fixed timeframe, which then when forward tested fails to perform... as mentioned in the above post the CAX/DAX correlation can and will vary, especially given how well the German economy is growing.

my 2c..

Yes it would be good if there was an easy way to backtest this further...

Another losing day! As this is the second loss this week I think going to be difficult for net profit this week!

Well, yet another losing day, worse still the Fancy Staking Plan kicked in today and with Wednesdays usually doing well bumped my risk right up so took a heavy hit today. Seems we are getting equal if not more losers than winners, which is a disater with this system as you need 2 winners to every loser just to break even. Down a fair bit on this now. Are other people getting suss or losing the faith?

Third week trading have 6 losers, 6 winners and 1 no trade days. Bank down 21%. Not impressed am starting to loses faith as Wednesdays are supposed to be the best days for good profit!

Yes it would be good if there was an easy way to backtest this further...

someone could also download the free evaluation of PairTradeFinder which will backtest pair-trading strategies of stocks/indices using mean-reversion settings on correlated pairs.