The Art of Getting Out Temporarily

GCC

This is a topic I really want to discuss with trader having ups and downs throughout their career.

Have you ever take time out of trading? Which was the longest period you have ever taken?

I remember I read John Carter's Mastering the Trade, he said that he had a certain annual goal of trading in mind, when that goal was reached, he would take the rest of the year off and enjoy himself.

I also remember reading Dirk du Toit's Bird Watching in Lion Country, he said there was a period when he was confused and lost money. So he took time out of trading. He still looked at the market and make analysis for clients, but no active trades on his part. After a period of cooling down, he regained his touch and made money again.

Have you got similar experience? When would you consider taking a break from trading? Comments are welcome.

i take time off all the time, 6 months is the longest i think! best to take time off when ur generally loosing money or ur just sick of trading in general...sometimes its good 2 step back and re evaluate the whole thing

i take time off all the time, 6 months is the longest i think! best to take time off when ur generally loosing money or ur just sick of trading in general...sometimes its good 2 step back and re evaluate the whole thing

Thats true. I always think that trading is a demanding sport, taking rest is really important. I always limit myself to trade only 3 days a week. For the rest of the time I enjoy myself.

I trade from monday 'till friday. Don't have any temporal restriction or profit level.

But I have stop trading two times so far:

Once when i felt like not enjoying, and totally absent minded. Around 8 months without trading.

And once again when I lost in four days the same money that I take about three months in earn. A couple of months to chill out.

Everybody should stop trading from time to time. Psychological health matter.

regroup, regather. sometimes the market conditions get crazy, volatility gets out of control, and its good to take a breather.