Tennis Lays

Domain, EstStart, LaySelection, AvgOddsObtained, TourName, Players
WTA, 04/05/2011 15:00:00, Julia Goerges, 1.63, Mutua Madrilena Madrid Open - Madrid, (Julia Goerges v Dinara Safina)

WTA, 04/05/2011 10:00:00, Petra Kvitova, 2.28, Mutua Madrilena Madrid Open - Madrid, (Petra Kvitova v Vera Zvonareva)

So you're up £8.5k since mid february using a £10k account? That's nice going. I assume you're increasing bet sizes as your account grows?

WTA, 04/05/2011 13:00:00, Iveta Benesova, 3.95, Mutua Madrilena Madrid Open - Madrid, (Iveta Benesova v Na Li)

WTA, 04/05/2011 19:15:00, Dominika Cibulkova, 2.24, Mutua Madrilena Madrid Open - Madrid, (Dominika Cibulkova v Maria Sharapova)

So you're up £8.5k since mid february using a £10k account? That's nice going. I assume you're increasing bet sizes as your account grows?

Thanks yes that is correct. I increased stakes/bank beginning of April once I had more confidence in this. April was a profitable month but not as good as usual so increase in stakes made a small improvement. Best to look at the "Pts" figure. This tells you a £100 liability per bet would have made £6500 over that period. Though I started by saying 10000 was a comfortable bank size it really depends on how risk averse you are. No more than a 3rd of the overall bank is ever used up in bets at any one point in time (so far) so as much as 3% could have been risked for much bigger profits but also higher risk of going bankrupt. The return would have been much more impressive if I had started with 2% of bank as the p&l would have now stood at over 15k which is why I prefer the Profit On Turnover (POT) figure - as a lot of the time the risk/reward is down to how risk averse one is. Just like stocks versus bonds I suppose?

what software are you using?

and what is your basic appproach?

good work on the numbers :)

My basic approach (I think I explained in early posts), is to look at factors which don't seem to be accounted for in the odds (or miscalculated) i.e., impact of transition from one surface to another, collateral form etc. Put them together, and decide on what the basic oddsline should be. This is an artform I suppose, as I like to decide what odds I would be happy to back/lay at are. If the bookies/bf odds are sufficiently out of kilter, i.e., say 7% then I would look at in more detail to ensure I haven't missed anything (niggling injury etc). If my more detailed revised odds are still out of kilter it is worth a bet. I then place bet into a database I have written and a custom bot drips my bet into the market trying to get best odds. Once bet fully placed, I submit here. Obviously there are several weak markets where my bets don't get matched fully in which case they do not get posted here.

In summary, it is about finding what I consider "value" prices.

All the data is available at WTA / ATP tour, Davis cup and ITF websites - a quick google should find them (not sure if links allowed to be posted)?

no I mean like sports arcades, like a trading floor for sports traders. I guess not anyhow :)

Lol no, the only trading floors I have heard of are the fast-pic horse guys but no it is a work from home setup lol. On a trading note, I wish I did trade some of the matches recently, could have possibly saved some money!

ATP, 05/05/2011 10:00:00, Novak Djokovic, 1.06, Mutua Madrilena Madrid Open - Madrid, (Novak Djokovic v Guillermo Garcia-Lopez)

WTA, 05/05/2011 10:45:00, Julia Goerges, 3.65, Mutua Madrilena Madrid Open - Madrid, (Julia Goerges v Caroline Wozniacki)

Djokovic bet above was a very awkward one to decide - right on the verge of my odds limit. Worthy of another punt, trouble with these low odds shots are you only expect them to come through about 1in 20 but is usually okay when interspersed with other bets - but not on losing days like today :(

WTA, 05/05/2011 15:00:00, Francesca Schiavone, 1.48, Mutua Madrilena Madrid Open - Madrid, (Francesca Schiavone v Bethanie Mattek-Sands)

WTA, 05/05/2011 16:15:00, Lucie Safarova, 1.86, Mutua Madrilena Madrid Open - Madrid, (Lucie Safarova v Jarmila Gajdosova)

WTA, 06/05/2011 10:00:00, Julia Goerges, 2.04, Mutua Madrilena Madrid Open - Madrid, (Julia Goerges v Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova)