Summer 'Trading Related' work

lazerradial2003

I'm a law student in London, just coming up to the end of my second year (one more to go). I usually try and work over the summer, previously I worked for an engineering firm designing and implementing small software projects (vb.net if that's in any way relevant).

I've been interested in the financial markets as a whole for several years, I started off learning about stocks, which still interest me; myself and couple of others have a small, fairly active investment club. What really interests me though is forex trading and I've been reading everything I can get my hands on for a while and paper trading an account for a few months, beginning trading a small real money account in a month or so.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice as to summer work I could look for which has some relevance to fx or the financial markets in general, I'm not in any way expecting to get a summer job trading, but something with some relevance would seem much more worthwhile than just looking for bar work or similar.

Any suggestions or general career advice much appreciated!

Most IBs have internship programs - though there will be a lot of competition for places especially if you're interested in sales & trading.

Alternatively you could always try some of the trading arcades - see if one of them will let you loose on TT sim for a few weeks - I doubt they'd pay you anything but if you do well it could potentially lead to a job for when you graduate.

Most IBs have internship programs - though there will be a lot of competition for places especially if you're interested in sales & trading.

Alternatively you could always try some of the trading arcades - see if one of them will let you loose on TT sim for a few weeks - I doubt they'd pay you anything but if you do well it could potentially lead to a job for when you graduate.

Thanks for the reply, if I want to get into trading in particular, are investment banks my best option?

Do you have any recommendations for trading arcades that are known to consider students? For experience like that obviously not being paid would not be a problem!

Thanks for the reply, if I want to get into trading in particular, are investment banks my best option?

Probably - at least the safest option. At an IB you'll get a good salary right from the start, and it looks pretty good on the CV. If you don't like it, you can always move to a prop firm later. It would be much harder to move from prop to an IB, unless you're exceptionally good. Obviously this means that places at IBs are very hard to get, but it's worth a try. Think you're probably too late to get an internship for this summer now - most of the deadlines are in the winter.

Not sure about getting an internship at a prop firm, but it would be worth a try. You might want to look at Futex, Marex, Saxon Financials, Schnieder Trading, MET...

Thanks for the reply, The Saxon Financials graduate schemes look very interesting, thanks for the pointer. If anyone else knows of any prop firms with good graduate schemes I'd be grateful for any names.

In terms of qualifications, is their much I can do alongside a degree which would be advantageous? I'll be moving from paper trading to real trading in about a week so if I were to look at applying for graduate schemes as soon as I finish my degree I'd have a years trading record to show.

Cheers for the advice!

If your university has any sort of trading/finance/investing club or society, join that, and get on the committee if you can.

I'm a law student in London, just coming up to the end of my second year (one more to go). I usually try and work over the summer, previously I worked for an engineering firm designing and implementing small software projects (vb.net if that's in any way relevant).

I've been interested in the financial markets as a whole for several years, I started off learning about stocks, which still interest me; myself and couple of others have a small, fairly active investment club. What really interests me though is forex trading and I've been reading everything I can get my hands on for a while and paper trading an account for a few months, beginning trading a small real money account in a month or so.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice as to summer work I could look for which has some relevance to fx or the financial markets in general, I'm not in any way expecting to get a summer job trading, but something with some relevance would seem much more worthwhile than just looking for bar work or similar.

Any suggestions or general career advice much appreciated!

Hi, I am also at uni and looking to get into trading.

I did the Certificate in Securities and Financial Derivatives with the Securities and Investment Institute about a year ago and when I went to interviews for internships for this summer they all absolutely loved it. (Got a trading internship at DB).

It shows that you have some idea what you are talking about. If you dont get an internship this summer then you should take this qualification. It will stand you in good stead for your final year when you will be applying for grad schemes.

Cost: about £500
Time: They say 300 hours i think, but you can do it in less if you are used to studying

Do it, you wont regret it

Hi, I am also at uni and looking to get into trading.

I did the Certificate in Securities and Financial Derivatives with the Securities and Investment Institute about a year ago and when I went to interviews for internships for this summer they all absolutely loved it. (Got a trading internship at DB).

It shows that you have some idea what you are talking about. If you dont get an internship this summer then you should take this qualification. It will stand you in good stead for your final year when you will be applying for grad schemes.

Cost: about £500
Time: They say 300 hours i think, but you can do it in less if you are used to studying

Do it, you wont regret it

Thanks very much for the reply, looks like a useful qualification, does anyone have any wider information on how highly regarded and so on the Securities and Investment Institute are in terms of their qualifications?

Thanks, Ben.