Student seeking advice

tofu soup

This is not completely related to trading and perhaps a bit long, but I'd like to hear your opinions anyway.

My bachelors degree is in sight (business & management) and I want to continue my study career with a master's degree. Initially, I wanted to follow a strategic management programme or organisation studies and get a job in consulting when I'm done. But now I am also strongly considering banking (mainly i-banking, trading is also a possibility), in which case I'd pick a financial investments programme.

The last few months I have been reading many blogs about both fields (managementconsulted and mergers & inquisitions) but that didn't really help.

I still have a little over a year left to mull it over. Obviously, I should go for the one I have the best feeling about, but some advice on how to reach a decision would be nice. Currently I feel like consulting would be a safer choice, while i-banking would be more of a gamble (both economically and socially) The many pro's and cons listed on those sites I mentioned are nice to read, but as I am still an undergrad with no real life experience I don't think I will be able to put it all into perspective properly.

Thanks a lot in advance.

what is consulting? what is a business & management degree and what is "mergers and inquisitions. seriously if this is what we're churning out it's looking bleak.

Isn't a Consultant an expensive person we go to for the benefit of their expertise, wisdom, foresight and experience in our field of interest? How will you, as a fresh-faced graduate fit into that?

Isn't the answer to go into whatever field interests you & for which you might have a flair, get 10 years of solid experience under your belt & become a leading authority. [Then, if we ever go back to the "Bush/Blair years" financial scenario you will be able to charge not-too-bright business managers vast fees for telling them things they could work out for themselves if they really tried.]