Strategy: Buy the Dip with Montley Fool Recommendations

BE Trader

5 0
There is a popular stock recommendations service Montley Fool. You may have seen their articles in the news - they are all over the place. One of the lists they offer is called "Rule Breakers". Described as:
Discover market-beating growth stocks, learn which businesses are poised to be tomorrow's stock market leaders, and see which companies are the best stocks to invest in today.
I have been following those a while and always had an idea to turn that into a day trading strategy. So here we go I tested the following thesis: these stocks are popular growth stocks with a strong market interest behind them which should result in a lot of participants buying the dip.

Stocks Selection
  • All "Rule Breakers" buy recommendations made in H1 2021 (from 2021-01-14 to 2021-06-24)
    • 12 tickers total: NET, DDOG, SNOW, TTD, CPNG, PLNT, GDRX, TDOC, SNBR, AXON, MRNA, W
    • I'm trading from 2021-07-01 to 2021-11-30 (to avoid look ahead bias)
  • Enter Criteria (condition to open a position)
    • Only enter in the first half of the day
    • Wait for 9:40 (market is open for 10min)
    • Stock price dropped more than 1% from the open price of the day
    • There is a sign of recovery (EMA 8 is going up on a 3min chart)
    • If there are multiple candidates - buy the one with highest relative volume within 10min
  • Exit Criteria (condition to close a position)
    • 1% profit or a trailing stop loss 0.25%
    • alway exit EOD
  • Initial capital $10,000
    • Gain is reinvested the next day
    • Loss reducing the buying power the next day
Results: Cumulative GAIN 35.34% | Max Draw Down -4.07% | Alpha 24.89 (vs. SPY buy&hold).
Not that bad for 5 month?
"Rule Breakers" buy&hold performance for the same period: 6.39% (buying each stock worth of $833. 10K / 12 ~ 833)
RB vs buy and hold.png

Returns vs. buy and hold benchmark - $SPY^
RB Tickers.png

Tickers traded ^

Disclaimer: all calculations made using BreakingEquity

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock