Spreadbetting Vs Real Trading

rizwanuk

I was wondering that considering the impact of:

1) Commissions(None in Spread betting)
2) Spreads(Wider in Spreadbetting compared to real trading??)
3) Slippage(Less in spread betting????)
4) Stop losses(Guaranteed in Spreadbetting excluding gap opens??)
5) Lower Margins???
6) Tax(This might not apply to all people)

How does spread betting compares to real trading?

Which is more "trader friendly"?

Thanks for your help.

Rizwanuk

Last edited:
There is no comparison because spread betting is not trading - it is taking a punt.

There is no central exchange with spread betting where fair competition ensures a level playing field for all participants.

If you trade on the exchange, the exchange is a neutral party that does not care who wins or who loses - as the exchange generates its revenue from a fee charged to participants (usually included in the brokerage commission) .

When you start spread betting, you are taking a position against the very organisation who makes the price at which you enter and exit. You are not trading against a market, but a single entity. In other words, they have you by the short and curlies. THEY decide if you win or lose. Every penny you lose spread betting goes in to the spread betters pocket. If he ever decides to let you win (he will occasionally as he knows about random rewards), he does so because he knows it is in his interest to let you win sometimes, but certainly not all times.

Where as trading on an exchange is a zero sum game, spread betting is a minus sum game for sure. It has to be - otherwise it wouldn't be a profitable business venture and would never get funding.

Lots of people will shoot me down for saying this. I really dont care. They will tell you things like it can be done profitably on a longer term gambles - but this is also wrong. One day, you will mysteriously find their platform is down, you wont be able to get quotes etc. Pure common sense shows it is a fools game so I wouldn't even bother wasting your time reading their glossy brochure.

Estimates say 80% of exchange traders lose eventually. The failure rate is much higher for spread betting. Yet get this.....

I predict a torrent of replies from people insisting they are profitable. (What they mean is that they WANT to be profitable, or have had the odd winning punt here and there, at best have had a winning streak but no where near consistent returns month after month for several years). Do you want to take advise from these people who are clearly lying to themselves first, and you second?

BBB,
Pigeons / cats, spanners / works etc. spring to mind! :cheesy:
I can't wait to read the replies. That's what I love about T2W; it's not just a resource to learn about a serious subject from intelligent, well informed and talented traders; it's also first class entertainment. LOL
Tim.
(P.S. I day trade via D4F spreadbet). :cry:

timsk said:
Pigeons / cats, spanners / works etc. spring to mind!
They do indeed. There are several people here who have been making a steady and consistent living by spread-betting for some time (including one or two of the moderators, I think) and I'm one of them. Even the title of this thread seems to imply that there's something "not real" about choosing that method of trading. If you go into it with that sort of belief, you'll get what you deserve. Other than that, I really can't be bothered to rise to replying to this opinionated nonsense this time around.

Dear Friends,

I agree title of my post was not the best, there is nothing "Unreal" about the profits one makes from Spread betting. But English is not my priamary language so please excuse me for this.

I agree that some of the friends might be making good money spread betting, my question is if they would have taken similar trading decisions in "Regular Trading"(my another attempt at vocabulary I am sure wont make all happy:) would they have been more or less profitable.

I want to find out that Spreadbetting or Regular trading which is relatively more trader friendly?

I mean If similar strategy is used on the same vehicle, how would the results differ because of spread betting or regular trading.

Many thanks for your help.

Rizwanuk

Roberto said:
There are several people here who have been making a steady and consistent living by spread-betting for some time (including one or two of the moderators, I think) and I'm one of them.

Other than that, I really can't be bothered to rise to replying to this opinionated nonsense this time around.

And in my opinion there are not. Like I say, there may be people who claim to be making money from it, but then Phoney bLiar claimed that Iraq had WMD. You shouldn't believe every thing you read should you!

Opinionated nonsense? Well, it may be, but then again it could just be the opinion of some one who has several years professional trading experience behind him and has the gumption to be able to see the wood from the trees.

Last edited by a moderator:
BBB,
Ouch! One pigeon mauled but still fighting and a few more flustered. Without wishing to put the Moolinex mixer into the excrement (much :cheesy: ) - it strikes me that you haven't taken on board fully Roberto's comments. He states: "There are several people here who have been making a steady and consistent living by spread-betting for some time . . . and I'm one of them. It's those last 5 words that really caught my eye!
Tim.

rizwanuk said:
Dear Friends,

I mean If similar strategy is used on the same vehicle, how would the results differ because of spread betting or regular trading.

Many thanks for your help.

Rizwanuk

Rizanuk - Think of it this way: If spread betting was the panacea of profiting from market direction, then investment banks, prop trading houses and arcades through out London would be using it (ok, very few of them actually trade in a directional way I admit). They're not are they! I wonder why that is? It's nothing to do with tax, as all their speculative profits are taxed the same way. Must be something else then.....

timsk said:
BBB,
Ouch! One pigeon mauled but still fighting and a few more flustered. Without wishing to put the Moolinex mixer into the excrement (much :cheesy: ) - it strikes me that you haven't taken on board fully Roberto's comments. He states: "There are several people here who have been making a steady and consistent living by spread-betting for some time . . . and I'm one of them. It's those last 5 words that really caught my eye!
Tim.

lol - yea! When I was about 3 my Mum told me about Santa Claus. Was she telling me the truth? Maybe he should apply for a prop position at Goldman Sachs because he clearly knows something the rest of the world hasn't figured out yet!

Like I say, 1 week/month or even 3 do not count as consistent evidence. 20 months may be starting to show some degree of statistical significance or edge. Any trader knows there is random distribution between wins and losses which is why such a length of time is required.

Direct access account users who are very profitable, in my view, should deffinately run a S B account ....might help keep some hard earned from the taxman !!!!

S B account ideal vehicle for sole trader using swing methods?

Just adding a little fuel, not that this thread will need any :D

rizwanuk said:
I agree title of my post was not the best, there is nothing "Unreal" about the profits one makes from Spread betting. But English is not my priamary language so please excuse me for this.
Not at all, not at all ... I should ask you to excuse me for offending you with the critical tone of my post. It wasn't you I was criticising and that was not my intention at all! :)

The point I clumsily tried to make was that to contrast spreadbetting with "real trading" could be taken as demonstrating a prejudicial starting assumption that one is "real" and the other "only betting" and therefore not a serious, professional business. I realise of course that this wasn't what you meant at all, and I apologise for my comment on the subject.

Unfortunately, what tends to happen at this site is that when some people see things that don't conform with their own experience, they respond by openly calling the poster a liar (or similar; or worse). We've seen this happen time and time again here, and have even lost highly valued members over it. This serves only to alienate people, and one of the unfortunate results is that the few people who actually do have something valuable to impart on the subject from their own successful experience all disappear. (It's very unusual around here for me to be in that group of people, I can tell you: it's almost always the other way round!).

The people who do actually know what they're talking about won't hang around to share their knowledge if the immediate reaction is that they get called liars, or idiots or whatever. That sort of behaviour simply has no place here, in my opinion, and I hope the moderators agree and care enough to take action over it.

As you can see from many other threads at this site, this seems to be a subject which provokes extremely strong expressions of opinion (usually disguised as "fact" though that isn't what it is) from ill-informed people. In my opinion there are two main reasons for this. One is that some people rely on very out-of-date information in a changing market (e.g. many people don't realise that for some forms of forex trading the dealing costs are now no higher with spreadbetting than with any form of direct access trading), and another reason is that many, many people have expensive and extensive losing experience of spreadbetting, usually because they've over-traded, used inappropriate position-sizing, and/or treated it like a form of gambling rather than as a serious business. Understandably, this sometimes makes them very blinkered and prejudiced.

rizwanuk said:
I want to find out that Spreadbetting or Regular trading which is relatively more trader friendly?
Well, different people have different opinions about that. Speaking for myself, I moved from direct access trading to spreadbetting and stayed with it (for 4 years now) partly because I find it more trader-friendly. And that's also improving all the time. Now that competition among spreadbetting firms is increasing some of them have realised that making and keeping it trader-friendly is the way forward; and I hope and think they're right.

rizwanuk said:
It would depend very much on the "something" and how it's done. Sorry - not a very helpful comment, I realise! There are many forms of trading which have no (or no sensible) spreadbetting equivalent, and I'd be the last person to suggest that it's a suitable vehicle for everything and everyone. In some areas and with some products, high spreads still remain a problem. With some spreadbetting firms (not all, by any means) the "bias" in the prices remains a problem to some traders (depending on their trading methods). It's not the be all and end all of trading, in other words. But one of the key ways in which the results will always differ (and this is only relevant to traders making consistent profits) is that in the UK, spreadbetting profits are tax-free at the moment. To me, that's enormously relevant. But in any event to dismiss out of hand as simply "lies" the opinions of the few people who have been using this form of trading for some years as a way to feed their families, pay their mortgages, and whatever else, strikes me as ridiculous as well as offensive.

So, the bottom line is that it all depends on whom you want to believe. In my experience the ones with the loudest voices, the most offensive manners and the most "bluster", however unhelpful their advice, are always the ones you get left with after the better-informed and less opinionated ones have been driven away simply because they have better things to do and have no incentive, after all, to hang around only to be insulted!

And on that note, if you'll excuse me, I'm now going to depart from this thread and not return to it. I wish you every success, and once again my apologies for "rising to the bait". :)

Hi,

A friend of mine made high 6 figures through deal4free over a 2 year period, although it was using CFD's, but aren't they about the same thing ?

Porks

BBB,

You clearly have strong opinions on spread betting and we are glad to hear them, but please do not put them all forward as concrete facts. For instance, you have absolutely no way of knowing for sure whether or not there are members making consistent returns from SB and thus you should not accuse those that might be of performing the impossible.
You have made some excellent contributions in the past and I hope you will continue to do so; but there is little to be gained from effectively accusing other members of lying. Your remarks towards Roberto certainly border on the insulting and I would ask you please to tone your comments down as they do not help the discussion and come very close to violating our site guidelines.

That said, I agree with the majority of what you say about the SB business model.

Cheers :)

Edit: Your later comments noted and appreciated. My earlier pomposity also :eek: , but there is a principle at stake: Yes, of course we want to hear all sides of the argument on t2w - just don't make it personal please.

Roberto said:
...one of the key ways in which the results will always differ (and this is only relevant to traders making consistent profits) is that in the UK, spreadbetting profits are tax-free at the moment. To me, that's enormously relevant. But in any event to dismiss out of hand as simply "lies" the opinions of the few people who have been using this form of trading for some years as a way to feed their families, pay their mortgages, and whatever else, strikes me as ridiculous as well as offensive.

I hope the following is useful for some who are undecided on this topic:

If spread betting is your main source of income, it will not be tax free.

Just one on many reasons why spread betting offers no benefit to the professional trader.

Roberto, as you have been successfully supporting your family and paying your mortgage from your spread betting activities (i.e. it sounds like it is your main source of income), could you please explain why its tax free status is of particular benefit to you as I am unclear about this.

I hope you dont find this offencive in anyway, as I am in agreement with you on one thing here - telling porkie pies is out of order - especially when some people here are trying hard to learn the truth and avoid the rubbish and ego that fills this industry as it is.

Last edited:
frugi said:
BBB you clearly have strong opinions on spread betting and that is fine, but please do not put them forward as concrete facts, as you have absolutely no way of knowing for sure whether or not there are members making consistent returns from SB or not.

You have made some excellent contributions in the past and I hope you will continue to do so; but there is little to be gained from effectively accusing other members of lying. Your remarks towards Roberto certainly border on the insulting and I would ask you please to tone your comments down as they do not help the discussion and come very close to violating our site guidelines.

Thank you.

Frugi - I'm sorry that Roberto took my comment so personally. I believe I suggested that anyone who claims to make CONSISTENT profits from spread betting is a liar. In retrospect I should have used the word 'probably' as in fairness there are professional gamblers as we all know. In fact, as I pointed out on another thread, I indeed know of 1 person who does make consistent money spreadbetting - but he has defined his edge over the house. I'm surprised that Roberto took the point so personally!!! Did I ever post 'Roberto is a liar'? No I didnt. (but maybe its a case of 'if the hat fits, wear it'?)

As for your request not to present this as concrete fact, why not? I thought the purpose of Trade2Win was to help aspiring traders get an insight to the realities of the trading world, and improve their education! If this is not the case, perhaps you tell me what is the purpose of Trade2Win?

What I posted above about the mechanics of the spread betting business model is FACT FACT FACT! So, I think you will find I can say with confidence that the MAJORITY of people lose with spread betting. The whole business model (if you take the time to study it) is designed to ensure this. Those that do make money (like the chap I mentioned earlier) infact do so because their edge is (probably) illegal to some extent. If a professional gambler is making money out of the bookie, the bookie will turn his business away. Its the same in spread betting.

Frugi - don't you think that someone who is considering opening a spread betting account deserves to see both sides of the fence, or do you think they should be at the mercy of a handful of egos and vendors?

Roberto - I'm sorry you thought I was calling you a liar directly. When I posted that original post I had no idea who you were, or your method of trading.

As I have pointed out in the past, if the forex spread being offered by Deal4Free is the same as that being offered by CMC Plc (the same company), there is no incentive whatsoever to execute the trade through the latter. Assuming you make a profit of £100 from the trade, you would have to hand over £22 to £40 (depending on your circumstances) to the Inland Revenue just because you want to call yourself a 'trader' as opposed to a 'gambler'. Assuming that happens just 100 times a year, there is a difference of £2,200 to £4,000; not an amount to be sniffed at.

The size of the spreads very much depends on the company one chooses and they are not as wide as one is led to believe. Those that argue otherwise have not checked these facts properly and might be surprised at what they find eg. IG Index option quotes are only slightly wider than those available on LIFFE and move relative to those quotes.

There are a quite a few people that make decent money spread betting and they are not as stupid as people think they are.

LION63 said:
As I have pointed out in the past, if the forex spread being offered by Deal4Free is the same as that being offered by CMC Plc (the same company), there is no incentive whatsoever to execute the trade through the latter. Assuming you make a profit of £100 from the trade, you would have to hand over £22 to £40 (depending on your circumstances) to the Inland Revenue just because you want to call yourself a 'trader' as opposed to a 'gambler'. Assuming that happens just 100 times a year, there is a difference of £2,200 to £4,000; not an amount to be sniffed at.

The size of the spreads very much depends on the company one chooses and they are not as wide as one is led to believe. Those that argue otherwise have not checked these facts properly and might be surprised at what they find eg. IG Index option quotes are only slightly wider than those available on LIFFE and move relative to those quotes.

There are a quite a few people that make decent money spread betting and they are not as stupid as people think they are.

If speculation is your main source of income YOU WILL BE TAXED (assuming it is declared). I stated this above, and others have pointed this out on other threads many times. It doesn't matter if profit is gained through stocks, derivatives or spread betting. Of course, a real trader would have taken the trouble to know this - the FACTS, a gambler wouldn't.

Again, I believe you should take a dose of your own advice AND CHECK THE FACTS.

As for IG Index options, 80% of options expire worthless, and are more complex than most would care to admit. Add this to the handicap that spread betting puts on you and you have the ideal recipe for financial disaster! Spread betting on options - belive me, Im laughing my head off at this one! If I wanted to fleece some get rich quick merchant I couldnt think of a better ploy!

(Options are fantastic vehicles but you've got to understand them - or they'll take you to the cleaners quicker than even spread betting! - sorry, couldn't resist!)

Anyway, I've had enough input on this thread for now. I think some people have a little homework to do. Others have a bit of introspection to do.

Be lucky!

(you'll need it 'cos I dont think some folks here will want to put the work in to be successful at this - still, they can always pretend....)

:cheesy: :D :) :| :cry: :mad: :eek:

Fortunately, when it comes to taxation I am able to get he best advice for my circumstances so I am fully aware of where I stand.

I am merely pointing out that spread betting is not as bad as it is made out to be and I leave individuals to make their own choice. It is of no advantage or disadvantage to me if they choose to do 'Real Trades' as opposed to Spread Betting but it is better to put forward both sides of the argument.

Option trading is for people that understand options and the fact that a high percentage of options expire worthless is of no major relevance just as the fact that a high percentage of traders losing money is irrelevant. The object is for the individual to make money, find a niche and excel at it.

I realise that you are probably very good at what you do and have many years of experience but does it mean that anyone who does things in a different way is a novice or incompetent?

>>If spread betting was the panacea of profiting from market direction, then investment banks, prop >>trading houses and arcades through out London would be using it (ok, very few of them actually trade >>in a directional way I admit). They're not are they! I wonder why that is? It's nothing to do with tax, as all >>their speculative profits are taxed the same way. Must be something else then.....

nonsense. banks and IBs don't do SB because they don't have to , they have direct market access.

the reason why individuals do it is due to the lower costs , usually margins .

yes , so come on , I know what your reply already is , something about a certain discount broker .
well you 're still wrong , SBs margin are still cheaper . Don't forget FREE CREDIT , when was the last time HSBC brokers offered you this ?

Though I will say trading with SBs have some problems , don't let this guy fool you , just because you do the direct market don't mean you'll fare any better , MOST people lose anyway whether SB of DA - simple as that.

Thanks for your message Wisestguy you wrote "trading with SBs have some problems" can you please elaborate what they are and back to my original question which of the two direct access or Spread betting is more trader friendly?

Best regards

Rizwanuk

wisestguy said:
>>If spread betting was the panacea of profiting from market direction, then investment banks, prop >>trading houses and arcades through out London would be using it (ok, very few of them actually trade >>in a directional way I admit). They're not are they! I wonder why that is? It's nothing to do with tax, as all >>their speculative profits are taxed the same way. Must be something else then.....

nonsense. banks and IBs don't do SB because they don't have to , they have direct market access.

the reason why individuals do it is due to the lower costs , usually margins .

yes , so come on , I know what your reply already is , something about a certain discount broker .
well you 're still wrong , SBs margin are still cheaper . Don't forget FREE CREDIT , when was the last time HSBC brokers offered you this ?

Though I will say trading with SBs have some problems , don't let this guy fool you , just because you do the direct market don't mean you'll fare any better , MOST people lose anyway whether SB of DA - simple as that.