Spreadbetting: Anyone making money ?

tradindex is an online s/b company. although i use them their website contains too many click throughs for my liking so it can be a bit frustrating. the advantages are low stakes (from £1), stop loss has to be put on at entry, and you can sometimes deal a very good prices as i sense that sometimes it can be slightly behind in pricing. on the negative side is the bias that there can be on the prices and it is not an ideal way to try and scalp although there is no reaon why not.

overall not too bad but i am just using it while i learn about trading indices. i will likely move onto IB soon.

they also have quite a good person-to-person sports betting side if thats your thing

Hi,

I liked the idea of the virtual money side of things.

Could do a few dry runs using that, are there any limitations / smallprint issues that you know of for the virtual system ?

Thanks

Azile

spreadbetting for profit

Hi, I'm new to this site myself. I have been spreadbetting fulltime now for 2 years. I deal purely on the Dow Jones Industrial Index. It has ben a rough ride. In the early times, I thought I had a system, but it failed.
Now, I m making aprox. 100pts per week. I am not on everyday, about twice a week. I use the site www.bigcharts.com which gives you up to date charting every minute.
With this index, never be to greedy, it is very volatile. It may swing 200pts in one day. With spreadbetting, you are better to increase your pounds per point, rather than trying to get as many points as possible.

Making Money

Makig money is hard if you choose volatile instruments. Finspreads are great - if you are doing big numbers you can always negotiate a deal with them. Try looking at the Bund - great thing to swing trade.

not shameless promotion

Hi Miki,
The way I work is simple. In the past I have lost £1,000's. through Overtrading, trying diffrent stocks and too complicated sysems. I have basically stated how I work on the 'market chat' I have learned that all because a system works on one index or stock does not mean it works on all, so I concentrate on one index. Do I win everytime? NO, but because my stop losses are set quite tight, my gains are more than my losses.
I do not intraday trade it's too volatile. I work on closing prices only. Is my system the be all and end all?, no that's why I've joined at chat like this to see how other investors work.
up to now, it is paying my mortgage, but I want to improve

Sorry, Rossy, my comment was aimed at MarkS.

I wish you all the best with spread betting! :)

But, there are much easier ways of making money (dealing with unbiased partners) – search this board for more details.

Interesting Posts I've been trading Some 3 years Now - Tried to chase money day trading the Dow - Lost Heavily Now only trade USA Shares - Research through www.sixer.com and then Live Feed from www.prophet.net Only now position trade 2-4 days one share at a Time, Now I'm in control. Strict money magement controls and rules. It pays not to think too much!! find a lot of sensible articles in www.spreadsbetting.co.uk have fun and take time to smell the roses!!

I have tried tradindex.com. The site is very slow and you have to go through several screens before placing a trade, including entering password again for every trade. This experience is with broadband. I have sent them an e mail but no reply.

FWIW, It seems to me that Tradindex isn't suitable for daytrading and scalping - due to the reasons osho states above. If you trade longer term then it may be ok.

Wideboy

What are you talking about?

TradIndex is GREAT for daytrading! I regularly make 25 points on the DOW and 9-15 points on the FTSE/DAX.

The REAL SECRET to daytrading is ....... WAIT FOR IT !!!!

SMOOTH PRICE ACTION

If the first hour is choppy price action go shopping or back to bed :cheesy: , you will lose money!

does this mean your a smooth operator knucklehead ? p.s. do you follow or fade the "smooth price action?

been using IG Index for a few years - consistently make money (mostly FTSE250s). IMHO they have the best platform around, CS probably offers better spreads but im not keen on their system.