Spreadbet in USA with a UK account?

Combo

Hi,

Moving to the US soon and wondering if I can still spreadbet with my UK IGINDEX account? Apparently spreadbetting is illegal over there -- will it be possible & legal to access the UK account though?

If you tell them you're moving they'll close your account. Do you have an address in the UK you can use still?

if someone on holidays to USA for 4 weeks or so, do USA authority still allow UK citizens to trade?

thanks in adv.

IP Blocking

Bookies tend to block IP addresses from the states - I would presume financial bookies do the same. You would need a VPN set up to a UK or European site.

if someone on holidays to USA for 4 weeks or so, do USA authority still allow UK citizens to trade?

thanks in adv.

Never had a problem myself.. am a UK citizen and spent a few months in the U.S..I could access my account no problem.. i even traded from internet cafes.:cool:

Hi, I believe the law says 'US residents cannot SB or trade CFDs'. If you are an US citizen in the UK you're probably fine, but a UK citizen that trades from the US is technically committing a criminal offence. If you plan to do this on the long term (don't know if you are moving to US temporarily or not) this is a risk to bear in mind. Good luck!

Hi, I believe the law says 'US residents cannot SB or trade CFDs'. If you are an US citizen in the UK you're probably fine, but a UK citizen that trades from the US is technically committing a criminal offence. If you plan to do this on the long term (don't know if you are moving to US temporarily or not) this is a risk to bear in mind. Good luck!

Says nothing of the sort. This prohibition comes from two parts of securities law. Firstly, non-regulated firms are prohibited from dealing with US residents, and secondly regulated firms are not permitted to offer OTC derivatives (except FX) to anyone who they cannot categorise as an Elgible Counterparty (i.e institution or someone with huge assets).

Thirdly, if you're just on holiday, you won't be classed as a US resident.

probably fin you cant access

as they know your ip is US and block you!

Hi,

Moving to the US soon and wondering if I can still spreadbet with my UK IGINDEX account? Apparently spreadbetting is illegal over there -- will it be possible & legal to access the UK account though?

If you have 2 spreadbetting accounts ..(most people do) write to the 1 you dont or will not use .....explaining your suituation and wait for a reply !!
i think that would be a more accurate approach ...
and if they say you cant ...then just use the other 1 untiil they say say NO ..but then they may also slap ur wrist's ..

They will automatically Block your IP if its a US one (in most cases). One way round this is ring them up and say that your betting from work and your work use a US IP (this is not uncommon). They will ask to call you back on a UK landline. Have them ring a mates number, and tell him what to say.