Spread Ratios

lthams

2 0
Good Morning,

I am a relatively new trader learning how to trade spreads and would like to seek advice on calculating the spread ratios for the two legs of the spread. Should I be equalising the dollar notional values of the two legs or should I be looking at the respective ATRs and equalising them / equalising volatility?

Let's say I'm doing a spread between the 6E and the 6A futures contracts.

Methodology 1 (equalise notional dollar value)

6E: 1.2168 X 12.50 = 15.21

6A : 1.0320 X 10 = 10.32

Spread Ratio: 15.21 /10 = 1.52

Methodology 2

6E: 12.50 per tick

6A: 10 per tick

Spread Ratio: 12.50 / 10 = 1.25

Methodology 3: Based on ATR and volatility

6E : 60 period ATR based on 1 day timeframe= 0.0104

So 0.0104 X 12.50 = 1300

6A : 60 period ATR based on 1 day timeframe = 0.0089

So 0.0089 X 10 = 890

Spread ratio: 1300 / 890 = 1.46

I am unsure about which is the correct way to calculate the spread ratio. I would really appreciate advice on this.

kre-

1 0
Please find out carefully what dollar neutral means. Your understanding of it is dubious. Also, taking ATR as a gauge of volatility to calculate your ratio is also mathematically wrong, much better of calculating historical volatility or doing a regression of log returns.

And why reinvent the wheel by taking 6E/6A when there is EAD available on CME? And it is just the simple cross rate of having 6E/6A..

scose-no-doubt

Veteren member
4,630 954
Please find out carefully what dollar neutral means. Your understanding of it is dubious. Also, taking ATR as a gauge of volatility to calculate your ratio is also mathematically wrong, much better of calculating historical volatility or doing a regression of log returns.

And why reinvent the wheel by taking 6E/6A when there is EAD available on CME? And it is just the simple cross rate of having 6E/6A..

:love:

scose-no-doubt

Veteren member
4,630 954
Spread trading is all about non-linear regression analysis and interpretation of results to form a trade able thesis or have a look at Barjon's thread for a simpler approach along with semi-useful discussion on the risks and the usual armchair criticism of the strats.

Good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock