Spread Betting Beginners Views

it's not a case of bursting your bubble or attempting to demoralise/demotivate you Parish....the guy's are merely pointing out sensible, hard & fast rules which any trader needs to observe if they wish to 'stay in the game' over the long haul. They're attempting to offer advice and no doubt deter you from making mistakes learnt via the "school of hard knocks" ;)

cos if you don't get your money/risk management sorted by the time you start increasing size (if you're still around by then) , the wolves will circle & pillage your a/c quicker than you can blink :(

Last edited:
Parish said:
Don't post here again, everyone bursts your bubble.
:LOL:

Better to get your bubble burst here than in the market? After all, we don't take your money off you...(yet :devilish: :devilish: :devilish: )

Parish said:
Note to self:

Don't post here again, everyone bursts your bubble.

#PJ#

parish

Enjoy your success by all means. No-one is setting out to burst your bubble. On the contrary, everyone is trying to be helpful by passing on the fruits of their real trading experiences and they are not just passing on a load of theory that they have read in some article somewhere. I don't doubt that the author of the book you have bought would tell you pretty much the same thing if you asked him.

good trading

jon

Last edited:
Hi Everybody

This is my first post. I have recently become instrested in spread betting and purchased my first book The Beginner's Guide to Financial Spread Betting. I read it cover to cover twice and have now grasped the very basics. Like parish I have opened a virtual account and have made some gains and some losses. I think though with my limited knowledge and capital at this stage I feel it more uneducated gambling. I do crave the knowledge to make positive choices and eventually become more of a trader than a gambler. Whats the best way forward for someone like me.

On a personal note I'm 25 from Scotland and very ambitious.

Cheers

Mark

marco

If you come out, year end, at breakeven you got a chance, at this game.

CJ

Get a Mascot Parish - It helps "Bears Rule"

cj12 said:
marco

If you come out, year end, at breakeven you got a chance, at this game.

CJ

My Mascot for Trading :LOL:

Attachments

• bonnie 043.jpg
    bonnie 043.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 242
Just realised I have been a member 1 year, so about time i made a contribution on one of these threads. I reckon there must be a similar one started once a week.
Having ' invested' in UK equities for 20 + years and survived (just ) the 87 crash and the dotcom bubble I joined the world of short term trading having learned the stoploss lesson the hard way. Anyway one year on , amazingly, I am just short of 1K up. Most of this however was on a few crazy trades when I first started, brought rapidly back to earth by a big loss. It was this that made me realise I had been here before, a single stock 15k up in early 2000, still own it, worth £500 in oct 2000, same today.
With this lesson and all the advice on these great boards, it made me realise that I would be no different to anyone else starting out, so I dropped to £1 per point and have put in thousands of hours research.
With due respect, I have already seen many newbies arrive here, ask for advice, don't accept what they hear, and within weeks they disappear, never to be heard from again. ( Several k down I suspect ).
If you are a beginner please listen to the advice here, there are no short cuts or holy grails, you just have to put the time in, and if you can get through the first year or 2 intact you just might stand a chance.
Anyhow, back to the DOW thread, the learning never ends-----------

Almost said good luck to finish, but realised luck plays no part in this game, so I'll say
GOOD TRADING instead.

hampy

reading this thread brings back memories to me and how I thought I new the markets and could handle anything it could throw at me.....

and then the bubble burst and i sat and watched as the value of my portfolio got smaller and smaller. At the same time I took learnings from this experience and moved on with my new found knowledge and applied them going forward

yet again I took losses but kept on learning and then I found this board and its many valuable contributors and have read and read and read some more (and will continue doing so).

Currently I am applying my previous learnnigs via papertrading and will only commit real cash when I know i can maintain consistency in any type of market be it up, down or trending. I know that when (or is that if ?) I do go back into the markets I will continue to learn but will have a stronger foundation on which to build from than I did in the past

Hi Parish,

I am delighted you are making money. After all that is what we are here for. However, I do need to confirm that the method disclosed in my book is designed for EOD trading. That said, am pleased that it is robust enough to work intra day also but please ensure you are paying attention to the money management rules.

Whatever type of trader you are, money management is the most important aspect of trading in my opinion and you should always work within the parameters.

I would be pleased to discuss any aspect of your trading offline if you want to have a chat. Simply send me an email (you've got the address).

All the best

AT

Parish...

Really appreciated this post...thanks for doing it and please keep posting to let us know how you go...regardless of whether it be in the money bags or not ;). I am very similar to yourself and only started looking into SB'ing a few months ago...Chose it as the tool of choice due the small (err....smaller) size of capital required.

I had virtual accounts with D4F, Capital and City Index...my first virtual account with City Index made me bucket loads of virtual dollars (really, I could almost see my virtual ferrari) but then I lost big with Capital. So as much as I would love to dive in, I'm really trying to find the time to learn more and mature what I already know.

Thanks again for letting us know how you got started and please continue letting us know how it pans out.

- Trader Dave