Spread betting at FXCM

Hi Jason

Apologies in advance if the following has been aked and addressed in a previous post (as i haven't read the full thread).

Am curious to know that if i opened an account with FXCM would your organisation pay the interest rate differential on a carry trade strategy?

Cheers

Mick

Hi Jason

Apologies in advance if the following has been aked and addressed in a previous post (as i haven't read the full thread).

Am curious to know that if i opened an account with FXCM would your organisation pay the interest rate differential on a carry trade strategy?

Cheers

Mick

Hi Mick,

The thread is getting long, so no worries. :)

You can earn the rollover if the interest rate on the currency bought is higher than the currency sold. Forex rollovers are constructed using forward points which are mostly based on overnight interest rates at which banks borrow unsecured funds from other banks. So while you can use central bank target rates as an estimate for determining rollover, the actual rate will be determined by the banks which could different from the central bank rates. When the market becomes nervous and credit dries up, you can sometimes see rollover rates changing erratically but most of the time they will be fairly stable only updating maybe once per month if at all.

The rollover rates for each currency pair at FXCM can be found in the simple view of the dealing rates window. What you should look at is the Roll S and Roll B columns. It will display the amount earned or payed for each symbol when selling or buying that symbol, and the amount is what you will earn or pay for the smallest trading size on the platform. Here's a screenshot of the simple view of the dealing rates window:

rollovertable1620113234.png

To go over an example, take a look at GBP/USD which I highlighted in the screenshot. You can earn $0.02 for every mini lot you buy, or pay $0.11 for every mini lot you sell. This is a USD denominated account so all of the amounts are in USD.

The number of times rollover is earned or payed can also vary for each currency pair depending on whether the trade is open on a Wednesday or if there is a holiday on that particular day. Most banks across the globe are closed on Saturdays and Sundays, so there is no rollover on these days, but most banks still apply interest for those two days. To account for that, the forex market books 3 days of rollover on Wednesdays, which makes a typical Wednesday rollover three times the amount on Tuesday. There is no rollover on holidays, but an extra days worth of rollover usually occurs 2 business days before the holiday. Typically, holiday rollover happens if either of the currencies in the pair has a major holiday. We have a rollover calendar on DailyFX located here http://www.dailyfx.com/calendar/rollover_calendar/.

Cheers,

-Jason

Jason

Many thanks for your very (professional) prompt response and explanation.

Greatly appreciated

Cheers

Mick

Ok have updated, now all you need to do is to reduce your spreads to fall inline with your competitors then I will start trading with you. Euro 1 pip, GBPUSD 2 pips etc (fixed, no slippage or requotes), that's the norm now.

Here's a video we put together visually explaining how FXCM's NDD forex execution works:

Back in October I posted a video which explains how FXCM's NDD forex execution works. Here is that shows how dealing desk execution can work when your broker is acting as the market maker.

Dealing Desk Execution

And for comparison, FXCM's NDD forex execution:

FXCM's NDD Forex Execution

Jason,

Downloaded stratagy trader today, horrible to get around compared to trade station, all I really want is customisable tick charts, surely you can add this to tradestation, would hate to have to go back to using ig index charts!

Jason,

Downloaded stratagy trader today, horrible to get around compared to trade station, all I really want is customisable tick charts, surely you can add this to tradestation, would hate to have to go back to using ig index charts!

If people let them know what is needed, they will do their best to make changes..... Hard for them to know what we want. so is a good thing you mention this

Jason,

Hi Vaco,

The Strategy Trader charting is probably the most advanced free charting package we offer, and anyone familiar with MT4 should find it easy to use since the layout is similar. Though I could understand it taking some getting used to if you're comfortable with the Marketscope charts. Personally, I prefer the Marketscope as well but Strategy Trader is starting to grow on me.

But I'll certainly relay this feedback regarding the customisable tick charts to our development team for consideration in future platform updates!

-Jason

What happens if the bank can't fill at that price after all?

If the price requested is not available, then what happens next will depend on the type of order submitted.

For market orders, you can select between At Best and Market Range for the order type.

At Best (Default) = Execution Certainty
The entire order will be filled, but it can experience slippage to the next best available price if the requested price is not available.

Market Range = Price Certainty
This option can be used to specify a range of prices you're willing to accept. For example, if you set the market range to 5, as much of your order as possible will be filled no more than 5 pips away from the current market price. If best available price is more than 5 pips from the price you requested, the order will be cancelled. So you have more price certainty, but restriction on prices you're willing to accept also means the order could be rejected.

The order type field is found at the bottom of the order window whenever opening and closing trades. See image below:

ordertype1202011114721a.png

Regarding stop loss and limit orders...

Stop loss orders are always executed as At Best market orders. Limit orders will only be filled at your price or better. An advantage to using limit orders is that you can experience positive slippage if the order is able to fill at a better price being offered by the banks.

Hi Jason,

just a quick question. I have been trading live for 4 years and have an average profit of 9-10% per month for the last 2 years on a £50k account. I recently switched to IG as I heard that there platform is uspposed to be the most advanced on the market. I deposited my £50k along with another £100k in savings and here is the problem: I have been trading with them for 4 months now with no problems during the first 3, and still hitting 9-10% but here is the problem; on month 4 they have started screwing with me in the usual ways with re-quotes and such. I "befriended" a lonely soul in customer services and have now discovered that they do not like anyone taking large amounts from them consistently (suprise, suprise!) which leads me to my question: Can I consistently earn an income of £20-30k per month through your spread-betting platform, and is there a limit to what a SP company will allow you to make before they cut you off? I'm looking over the next year to increase my capital enough to where I can start making £20-30k per month.

Hi Jason,

just a quick question. I have been trading live for 4 years and have an average profit of 9-10% per month for the last 2 years on a £50k account. I recently switched to IG as I heard that there platform is uspposed to be the most advanced on the market. I deposited my £50k along with another £100k in savings and here is the problem: I have been trading with them for 4 months now with no problems during the first 3, and still hitting 9-10% but here is the problem; on month 4 they have started screwing with me in the usual ways with re-quotes and such. I "befriended" a lonely soul in customer services and have now discovered that they do not like anyone taking large amounts from them consistently (suprise, suprise!) which leads me to my question: Can I consistently earn an income of £20-30k per month through your spread-betting platform, and is there a limit to what a SP company will allow you to make before they cut you off? I'm looking over the next year to increase my capital enough to where I can start making £20-30k per month.

I am not trying to stop you going back to FXCM, but you might be interested to see what the governor of CMC Markets is saying (in a parallel thread) about their revamped platform - specifically no re-quotes and fast execution. Also no dealing desk type execution, we are told.
You might be just the sort of customer he is looking for. If you do try it, please be sure to report back. I don't think we've seen a report from a live trader on the new platform, although they are all supposed to be very happy with it.

BTW I have no connection with any SB firm or broker, except as a customer/demo customer as the case may be.

I am not trying to stop you going back to FXCM, but you might be interested to see what the governor of CMC Markets is saying (in a parallel thread) about their revamped platform - specifically no re-quotes and fast execution. Also no dealing desk type execution, we are told.
You might be just the sort of customer he is looking for. If you do try it, please be sure to report back. I don't think we've seen a report from a live trader on the new platform, although they are all supposed to be very happy with it.

BTW I have no connection with any SB firm or broker, except as a customer/demo customer as the case may be.

I will be glad to see what FXCM has to say, and I would be pleased to know if there are safeguards for the customer in this industry.

From my experience in other areas, FXCM tries to offer many good things to the community, hopefully they have protections in place to guard against the situation described in the prior post.

Spread betting seems to be really risky and if the brokers are taking advantage of the customers in the manner described..... best to avoid...

Again, I am sure Jason will have a detailed response.

I think there are two theories about this sort of situation. The naive camp says that SBs can hedge almost everything apart from short-term trades (the evil 'scalpers') and therefore don't care whether clients win or lose because they make a profit from the spread. The opposing view is that SBs hedge far less than you'd expect, and actually make most of their profit from the majority of punters who lose, sooner or later. The second scenario could explain why IG have started messing you around, although if you were consistently profitable there's also a sub-theory that they will make money by shadowing your trades. However, they probably assume that anyone can have a good run which can end at any time, so it's better to class you as trouble and drive you away. IMO, DYOR, etc

Hi Jason,

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the post!

I’ve heard your story many times from traders that switch from a market maker to FXCM’s NDD forex execution. FXCM uses a different execution model than many traditional spreadbet brokers, and our NDD forex execution removes the conflict of interest that exists when your broker is making the market. The short answer to your question is that you will not have a problem executing trades with FXCM if you are a profitable trader. Nor will you have any problems if you are scalping the market. It’s important to understand why, so I’ll go into more detail.

Trading with a Market Maker
Whenever your broker is making the market and taking the other side of your position, it then becomes you versus your broker. If the broker doesn’t hedge your trade then any profit you make becomes the broker’s loss and any loss you make becomes the broker’s profit. A profitable trader doesn’t always present a problem to a market maker. As long as they can hedge the position to lock in at least the spread, they’re generally happy. What causes problems is when your trading style starts to wreak havoc on their ability to offset positions, whether it be because your trading sizes are unpredictable, you open close trades too quickly, etc.

The broker is in business to make a profit so any traders that are highly successful or cause issues mentioned previously can be problematic. Not every trader loses, so a broker acting as a market maker is generally ok with you making money if they can hedge the position. Problems most frequently start to occur when the market moves quickly and the dealing desk doesn't have enough time to hedge the trade. You’ll probably notice that if you’re trading against the market trend, you won’t have any problems getting into the trade because the brokers dealer can lock in the spread cost and hedge away your trade. For example, let’s say you were trading GBP/USD during UK GDP announcement earlier this week when the number surprised everyone to the downside. GBP/USD starts to drop, but you decide to trade against the market and buy! If you want to buy, the broker will let you buy all day long because your trades quickly turn into losses (gains for the broker). If instead you decide to trade with the market and sell GBP/USD, the brokers dealers may not have enough time to react. If the broker is offering a 2 pip spread on GBP/USD and you place an order to sell GBP/USD, the market could easily move 2 pips in your favor by the time it reaches the broker. In fact, you may even have a profit. Guess what, the broker has an instant loss. The broker can’t accept this type of trading on a consistent basis if it results in losses, therefore you receive a re-quote when trying to enter and exit positions when the market is moving in your favor. Often times the broker will blame the need for re-quotes on latency in your internet connection..."We just need to ensure you're trading on the correct price", but in fact it comes about because your broker can’t react quickly enough to the trader and the market.

We put together a video that gives a very good visual of how all of this is working:

NDD Forex Execution
FXCM’s No Dealing Desk forex execution is different, and you may have heard of it referred to as DMA (Direct Market Access) or STP (Straight Through Processing). The way this works is there are multiple market makers sending prices and liquidity to FXCM. I can’t give the exact number, but it is in the double digits. Let’s say for example there are 10. Our execution engine receives prices from 10 different banks and then streams the best bid/ask price into the dealing rates window with a mark-up ( essentially a commission). For example, if the best bid/ask available from the banks on GBP/USD is currently 1.5928/1.5929 (1 pip spread), you may see it on the platform as 1.5927/1.5930 (3 pip spread). The banks are streaming a 1 pip spread, and the commission added onto it makes it a 3 pip spread. Whenever you click on the GBP/USD buy price of 1.5930, you send the trade to FXCM for 1.5930 and FXCM sends the order to the bank offering the best price for 1.5929. You have a trade at 1.5930 which is hedged by an offsetting order with the bank, and FXCM has earned 1 pip. Every forex trade is offset immediately back to back with the banks, and FXCM is compensated by the pip mark-up.

Charging a commission removes the conflict of interest that exists when your broker is the market maker since the outcome of your trade does not impact FXCM’s bottom line. FXCM’s revenue becomes directly correlated to the amount of trading volume going through our platform. Every trading strategy is accepted, even if you want to open and close the same trade every second. For traders that have a high enough trading volume, we even have a program setup called Active Trader which is designed to lower overall transaction cost. A common argument you’ll hear from a dealing desk broker is that with NDD you’re still trading against a market maker?! Yes you are, but you’re trading anonymously against multiple market makers. No one market maker can see your positions. No one market maker can control the execution for all trades. Whoever has the best price gets the order, and there can be no re-quotes. Trading is more transparent and fair.

Here’s a video we put together giving a visual explanation of NDD forex execution.

A couple things to keep in mind with NDD forex execution is that the bid/ask price is not determined by FXCM. It is being determined by the best bid/ask prices being quoted by the banks. Therefore the spreads can vary throughout the day depending on how competitively the banks are quoting. With NDD forex execution, it is also possible to experience slippage. If there is no longer liquidity available at the price requested in the order, then the trade will be filled at the next best available price. So please be careful when trading during highly volatile market conditions and be aware of how the different order types can help control slippage and execution (http://www.fxcm.co.uk/order-types.jsp). Slippage doesn't always have to work against you. You can also experience positive slippage on your limit and limit entry orders.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I hope it helps !

-Jason

... revamped platform - specifically no re-quotes and fast execution. Also no dealing desk type execution, we are told.

Hi Mike,

Interesting to see other brokers are starting to offer what FXCM has been offering for years now. Maybe their traders are starting to realize they don't have to suffer through re-quotes and trading restrictions :)

-Jason

You should also take a look at the Forex Execution Center we just launched. It discusses a lot of the questions you asked already about FXCM's execution plus more. http://www.fxcm.com/forex-execution-center.jsp

FXCM has offered No Dealing Desk forex execution since 2007 with no re-quotes, and looking at the number of brokers who have recently decided to offer it just re-affirms that we made the right decision both for FXCM and our traders.

You should also take a look at the Forex Execution Center we just launched. It discusses a lot of the questions you asked already about FXCM's execution plus more. http://www.fxcm.com/forex-execution-center.jsp

FXCM has offered No Dealing Desk forex execution since 2007 with no re-quotes, and looking at the number of brokers who have recently decided to offer it just re-affirms that we made the right decision both for FXCM and our traders.

Jason does his best to provide good information.

For February 21, 2011....

There's a holiday in the United States (President's Day) on Monday, February 21, 2011. There are no changes to the forex trading hours; however, it will affect trading hours for the CFD products listed below. All times are in GMT and for February 21 (except for JPN225 which re-opens at 00:00GMT on Feb. 22):

cfdhours2182011113459am.png

Have a great weekend!