Spain using North Korean tactics?

Splitlink

Legendary member
North Korea can't be as bad as I thought! :)

Be careful, you guys, we'll be testing our rockets in the Straits of Gibraltar, next!
:LOL:

North Korea can't be as bad as I thought! :)

Be careful, you guys, we'll be testing our rockets in the Straits of Gibraltar, next!

I don't normally get too excited about Macro portfolios, but I am heavily short Spain. The numbers don't add up and their corruption index is going up. I will be scrutinising every figure during their next bond sale - I bet there's a little shortfall in their foreign reserves increase. Now some political diversionary tactics are being employed. Time bomb.

1998 Russia. Ish.

Strange, isn't it? I've lived here for 50 years but have never invested in Spanish stocks or bonds.

Mt opinion is that it is not much different from anywhere else. Lots of corruption but where isn't there?

Time will tell.

. . . My opinion is that it is not much different from anywhere else. Lots of corruption but where isn't there?
T2W Split' - no corruption going on here. If there is, I'm not party to it or even aware if it. I have to say I'm disappointed; after three years working here - not one broker or vendor has offered to grease my sweaty palms with silver! Actually, I tell a lie. Dear ol' zupcon/the hare did offer to pay me to delete all his posts, but he wasn't able to offer an amount that would have made it worth my while!

As for Gib', personally, I'm happy to hand it back to Spain. Geographically it makes sense and, besides, its a carbuncle of a place anyway. That said, Spain is guilty of the pot calling the kettle black, IMO. If they think we should hand over Gib' to them, they should set a precedent and hand Ceuta over to the Moroccans.
Just my $0.02 worth.
Tim.

I think we should invade them. Get HMS Victory out of mothballs in Portsmouth and send her there again (she put into the Roads with the rest of the fleet after Trafalgar).
Load up the guns in the Rock with graffiti or asbos or something and open fire on their border post.
That'll teach them pesky Spaniards a bit of respect.

T2W Split' - no corruption going on here. If there is, I'm not party to it or even aware if it. I have to say I'm disappointed; after three years working here - not one broker or vendor has offered to grease my sweaty palms with silver! Actually, I tell a lie. Dear ol' zupcon/the hare did offer to pay me to delete all his posts, but he wasn't able to offer an amount that would have made it worth my while!

As for Gib', personally, I'm happy to hand it back to Spain. Geographically it makes sense and, besides, its a carbuncle of a place anyway. That said, Spain is guilty of the pot calling the kettle black, IMO. If they think we should hand over Gib' to them, they should set a precedent and hand Ceuta over to the Moroccans.
Just my $0.02 worth.
Tim.

Timsk, if you think that you are going to create a political incident with me over Ceuta and Melilla and Gibraltar, on this very sticky, humid, Monday afternoon just remember! I live in Cataluña, which plans to have a referendun on independence next year.

Anyway, what is wrong with the Spanish?
They own us through Santander and what do we get in exchange? A bit of 1950s Britain in the sun and a bunch of monkeys.

Timsk, if you think that you are going to create a political incident with me over Ceuta and Melilla and Gibraltar, on this very sticky, humid, Monday afternoon just remember! I live in Cataluña, which plans to have a referendun on independence next year.
Hi Split,
A 'political incident' - dunno what you mean - just offering my view on your thread!

As for your Cataluñan hosts having a referendum on independence, they're barking up the wrong tree, IMO. I can't see it happening. Well, the referendum might, but I doubt they'll ever be granted independence. If they were, it would open up the flood gates for all the other regions in the country.
Tim.

Hi Split,
A 'political incident' - dunno what you mean - just offering my view on your thread!

As for your Cataluñan hosts having a referendum on independence, they're barking up the wrong tree, IMO. I can't see it happening. Well, the referendum might, but I doubt they'll ever be granted independence. If they were, it would open up the flood gates for all the other regions in the country.
Tim.

Just a bit of fun, but the second psrt of your post raises some serious points

Independence for Cataluña.

Basically. we agree on the point about barking up the wrong tree but there are very serious ones to consider. Cataluña is a big earner for Spain but Madrid takes the money and gives back what it wants Cataluña to have. This is a different tax regime to that enjoyed by other big earner, the Basque country, which collects its own taxes and passes an agreed amount on to Madrid.

Cataluña's leaders do not impress me too much but there has been a serious difference of ideas between Cataluña and Madrid for more than many decades.

With labour unemployment so high, especially with the young, the Catalan leaders are beating the independence drum as loudly as they can. What the result of the referendum could be is anyone's guess but the elderly folk are very worried about their pensions and social security. That could be where the "No" voters come from.

Could Madrid be showing Cataluña, via Gibraltar, what would happen at Catalan/Spanish border crossings? I foresee much worse problems than that.

Right now, though, how much foreign investment will Cataluña get before the definite outcome is known?

Who wants to do anything fairly longterm, such as buying property here?

When is Madrid going to see the red light and start wanting to talk Catalans out of this, before it goes too far?

Independence for Cataluña.

Basically. we agree on the point about barking up the wrong tree but there are very serious ones to consider. Cataluña is a big earner for Spain but Madrid takes the money and gives back what it wants Cataluña to have. This is a different tax regime to that enjoyed by other big earner, the Basque country, which collects its own taxes and passes an agreed amount on to Madrid.

Left wing (big state/EEC) politics at its best :rolleyes: (worst) ?

Just the usual scummy political trick of diverting attention from their own failures to blaming the foreigners. Always works a treat. Like nationalism in Scotland etc.

An end should be made of democracy at it's lowest ebb. Let the civil services run their country's affairs properly, fairly and economically.

Just the usual scummy political trick of diverting attention from their own failures to blaming the foreigners. Always works a treat. Like nationalism in Scotland etc.

An end should be made of democracy at it's lowest ebb. Let the civil services run their country's affairs properly, fairly and economically.

Well, it is the foreigners. You'd be surprised how many there are over here. The place is full of dratted Spaniards.