Slim Jim's

Yes several traders have in different ways who post on this board and some who are highly experienced in trading related activities.

Paul

I did a search for 'slim jim' on T2W, returned very few results. Not a huge amount of info available on T2w about either Kevin Haggerty or slim jim.

it is entirely possible that many people trade them but don't use the same terms as Haggerty.

pratbh said:
I did a search for 'slim jim' on T2W, returned very few results. Not a huge amount of info available on T2w about either Kevin Haggerty or slim jim.

it is entirely possible that many people trade them but don't use the same terms as Haggerty.

A slim jim is when price moves sideways in a very narrow range ( usually lunch time) at the top or bottom of the days range. Entry is usually after lunch (burp) above or below that range ( a leading indicator like w%r can tip you off as to which way it's going to move.) with a tight stop.

They form in every timeframe so are great for daytrading, swing and position trading. Kevin Haggerty once said that if he could only trade one pattern it would be the slim jim. I agree !

FWIW, Wyckoff christened this the "springboard" back in the 20s.

Plus ca change . . . :)

I am interested to learn more about slim jim, but the only material I can find on the 'net is Kevin Haggerty stuff. Does anyone know of any free material?

I'll search for 'springboard' now...

pratbh said:
I'll search for 'springboard' now...

Here's an excellent example of a hinge from today and a fair example of a springboard ("fair" because it's so short).

Note the lower highs and higher lows that are the prelude to the setup, the tightening of the price bar, the dryup in volume. Then everything lets go.

The chief advantage to these is that they are so easy to recognize in real time.

Attachments

• SB4.gif
    SB4.gif
    7 KB · Views: 858
Thanks a lot. That was very helpful.

Is this the general setup, i.e., can one use these as the basic criteria, or are there other variations? Can you name a book which describes these patterns? I searched the 'net for 'springboard' as well, a few mentions of Wyckoff came up, nothing substantial.

PS. How do you draw the parallel lines? And what's the circle stand for?

Last edited:
pratbh said:
Thanks a lot. That was very helpful.

Is this the general setup, i.e., can one use these as the basic criteria, or are there other variations? Can you name a book which describes these patterns? I searched the 'net for 'springboard' as well, a few mentions of Wyckoff came up, nothing substantial.

PS. How do you draw the parallel lines? And what's the circle stand for?

A similar system that people use to make a living, nip down to your local library and see if they have it.

Fisher describes his ACD system and how it works in a book entitled The Logical Trader.

Also have you tried a website called ...... www.investopedia.com, just don't get carried away with all the methods !!!

Check out isometric triangles also ...see above example.....price hates to be squeezed...hence the breakout either way

counter

knucklehead said:
A similar system that people use to make a living, nip down to your local library and see if they have it.

Fisher describes his ACD system and how it works in a book entitled The Logical Trader.

Also have you tried a website called ...... www.investopedia.com, just don't get carried away with all the methods !!!

Fisher's ACD is in no way even remotely similar to a "hinge" or a "spring board"

The ACD is closer to the method set up by sidinuk in the knowledge lab section.

While we are on the topic:

You can buy a lot of Kevin Haggerty courses on eBay for little money. I've bought his Slim-jim and 123 recently for about £30 each (retail price $395 each).

As always, take the usual precaution on eBay.

Last edited: