simple trailing stop in excel

Bowball

hi - i'm building a very basic mechanical trading system in excel but need to create a basic trailing stop. i'm sure it can be done using simple IF functions, but i'm feeling a bit slow today. can anybody help

thanks in advance

Depending on how the stop is determined, you could either do it through a straight formula or by using one of the conditional functions (or, if). Without more information, though, I can't really be very helpful.

thanks John. my spreadsheet looks, broadly, like this:

buy/sell price

sell 1.145

in the left column i have a new 'sell' signal, in the right i have price. i'm comfortable enough using a conditional formula to establish the cashflow when i receive the signal (i.e. a positive amount mulitiplied by the fx rate), but how do i use excel to apply a trailing stop

thanks

What you've posted here doesn't make any sense to me at all. I don't know what it's supposed to be telling me. How is your trailing stop determined?

sorry, that didnt paste too well. on the left column are buy/sell signals, on the right is price of the underlying. so in the above example i have a sel signal when the price hit 1.1450.

lets say i wanted a stop at 200 pips, then easy: if ( current price 200 pips > sell price , buy, 0 ). but how would i write a conditional function in excel to general a trailing stop if the price rose, say, 200 pips from the low after the sell signal then i would want a stop signal generated

Are you saying in your example, that you want the stop to be 200 pips above the lowest point reached by price while the trade is on? So Stop=200+Lowest Low?

If position = "sell" then STOP = tradeprice + stop size
If position = "buy" then STOP = tradeprice - stop size

To Trail:

If position = "buy" then
If (lastprice - STOP) > (tradeprice - STOP) then
STOP = STOP + (lastprice - tradeprice)
End if

This could be a start, I haven't formatted the code properly but it may give you an idea of how you could go about it. There is more needed to prevent the STOP being reduced on a retrace. I would use a cell to store the current value of the stop, so you might need another conditional statement to check the value to ensure the STOP is not reduced on a long position during a retrace.