simple moving average system

Status
Not open for further replies.
laptop1 said:
Guys you will lose money trading this system.

Hi laptop1

This will probably be the outcome at the end of the day but at the mo I dont think that will be the case, we shall see :)

Right time for action then, I shall dither no more and start my journal next week and forward test this system on a demo account.

don_h said:
Hi laptop1

This will probably be the outcome at the end of the day but at the mo I dont think that will be the case, we shall see :)

Right time for action then, I shall dither no more and start my journal next week and forward test this system on a demo account.

Good luck.

don_h said:
Hi laptop1

Is it April already? This is a non starter. Hopefully the demo will show this. MA crossovers might have worked in the dark ages but methinks times have changed since then. There are institutions out there working with the brightest and the best spending $1000's developing AI trading systems and you reckon a MA system via SBs is going to compete! This ain't a video game where repetition makes perfect, it's the real world!

There was a piece in the Sunday Times today which was basically selling spread betting to the masses, not that they nedeed any encouragement. Praise the Lord that we all have money to burn when a hundred years ago poverty and premature death was a reality for almost all.

Bon chance!

don_h said:
Split, up and running again, blown power supply, lucky not to lose more probably.

anyway nothing to add from post 15 although the Macd hasn't turned down and still rising slightly so sell signals on the 23rd and 24th would not trigger so I would be still in play :eek:
we will see next week.

perhaps now you can see that pattern emerging? :cheesy:

cheers

Don

The pattern that I can see (post 14) is the 123 with breakout, where I entered (red line) with, now, a possible hook, which signals a buy on Friday's close but which I didn't like so close to my entry point. Maybe I was wrong to close ahead of the holiday but I'll start anew next week.

Split

Splitlink said:
The pattern that I can see (post 14) is the 123 with breakout, where I entered (red line) with, now, a possible hook, which signals a buy on Friday's close but which I didn't like so close to my entry point. Maybe I was wrong to close ahead of the holiday but I'll start anew next week.

Split

Easy for me to say that I would still be in play because I haven't got money on the table, any thing could happen next week. If I had then I would have bottled it big time and closed most probably :LOL:
well done for closing up anyway :)

cheers

Don

rols said:
Is it April already? This is a non starter. Hopefully the demo will show this. MA crossovers might have worked in the dark ages but methinks times have changed since then. There are institutions out there working with the brightest and the best spending $1000's developing AI trading systems and you reckon a MA system via SBs is going to compete! This ain't a video game where repetition makes perfect, it's the real world!

Bon chance!

I've just seen don opening his journal and will be interesting to read what happens. Unless big parts of the strategy are missing, this seems to be a KISS-approach at it's best! Although I don't use indicators myself, check wasp's journal if you'd like to see someone who's making a profit using MA crossovers...

rols said:

There was a piece in the Sunday Times today which was basically selling spread betting to the masses, not that they nedeed any encouragement. Praise the Lord that we all have money to burn when a hundred years ago poverty and premature death was a reality for almost all.

Bon chance!

It's a non starter the way it is, at present, but I am interested in it as a confirmer to use with other systems. As always, with systems using averages, whiplashes are the danger.

Split

this system would get whipsawwed into oblivion,

you should try my holy grail sometime, it's easier :)

Last edited by a moderator:

With big enough swings, this system could certainly make money. When I was trading currencies, I chose USD/SEK in order to work the bugs out of a moving average based system, and made a packet on it over 6 months, so it can't be entirely useless! The key is to have decent enough movements in the underlying market - choose with care.

MA's can provide good filters but they need to be layered on top of, not below other signal generators. This is my experience anyway. Good to look at slightly unrelated aspects of price such as momentum and volume before tying in the MA. I still use them a lot despite what the egg heads may be up to.
It is easy to see how useful they can be in hindsight, every trend has its ideal MA when viewed in retrospect.

Reactions: BSD
To provide an alternative view: mas can be the basis of your strategy. Nothing else but price is required :)

They are for me as an intraday HSI trader and I have used them with Eurofx, ESTX50 and Bund. I use a trend pullback strategy with the MAs providing context for the trend and also a target zone for the pullbacks. Anyone who wants to try something similar should look at the floor traders method. This is detailed, free, on NQoos site and can be used on any futures contract or currency pair.

http://www.trading-naked.com/FloorTraderMethod.htm

What!! Oblivion!!! Whipsaws!!!! :LOL:

I suppose posting your "grail" in the free systems forum would be out of the question then, pretty please I like holy grails, they are definitely my fave.

Anyways, cheers for bringing a thread from last year back to life.

Lightning

I use EMAs as further evidence to guide me to be on the right side of a trend.

Where are you MainWallStreet ? and where is that holygrail thing of yours ??

Vendor ??

Would I be correct in guessing MainWallStreet that you are on these boards loosely dropping hints about a 'Holy Grail' system because you are trying to flog one ? I apologise in advance if I am mistaken, but your threads have been edited quite a lot by T2W.
Care to comment ??

Would I be correct in guessing MainWallStreet that you are on these boards loosely dropping hints about a 'Holy Grail' system because you are trying to flog one ?
Care to comment ??

I REST MY CASE......

Best bet on grail systems, free or paid

encourage them to be on www.collective2.com or timertrac, places where the cynics and hucksters BOTH can be quieted down.

The of the most amazing things about all the boards devoted to trading success is how many people haunt them in an effort to say it can't be done.

While giving birth to a 1min set-up strategy on the Spanish Ibex index, I have noticed that a very simple moving average system would work quite well on it, but not sure if it would be a success on anything else. I reset the chart to 5 mins and noticed that using a 50MA you could go long or short as the MA line goes above or below the price, and capture 15-20 pips a day. At first glance it looks good, although it may be unique to the Ibex as it is a volatile index.

Status
Not open for further replies.