SII Certification

viktajatt

I am seeking to build a career in the financial services industry and am considering doing the SII certificate in order to help me get into the industry via a broker route or something similar. I have previous sales experience in a financial environment (retail banking) and so I thought the broker route may be the best way to get into this industry (as opposed to the IB route which is very difficuly given the current environment and my average academic background). For the 'broker route', I understand that the SII exams are necessary.

However, my future career goal is to work for a hedge fund either in sales or possible another capacity i.e.. analyst/trader etc. Do you think I am taking the right route?

What is the cheapest way to do the SII certificate and what are the best modules to do as I am only working part time at the moment.

All your kind help will be much appreciated and taken on board.

Regards.

I've been thinking about learning some of the stuff in the SII program as well, but for my own benefit only really.

The distance learning packages from these guys seem pretty reasonably priced:

SII Diploma - Securities & Investment Institute Diploma – BPP Financial Services

You can get second-hand SII learning material from eBay from next to nothing. Then you just need to pay the SII exam fees which are as cheap as chips:

http://www.sii.org.uk/SII/WEB5/sii_files/Qualifications/Price list and exam forms/Prices010408.pdf

Easy!

Abbott,

I think you would be better served, and at a greater value, with some decent books - the SSI exams teach little of practical application. What are your areas of interest?

Grant.

I'm mainly just concerned with ensuring that I have the mechanical basics of the markets fully covered so I can talk turkey with brokers. The SII module on Securities and the other one on Derivatives seem like they'd be more than enough to achieve this end - I wouldn't want to waste time actually sitting the exams to be honest!

I certainly wouldn't expect the SII material to cover what trading strategies might suit any given private investor - Those kind of lessons only seem to be available through pain and patience in your own trading account I'm finding ...

How about in the US? What is the equivalent of the SII over there?

Get good marks in the Uni. Get a job in a hedge fund and have them sponsor it

Free... is always better, therefore study harder in Uni, or get a part - time job to pay your professional exams tuition