Should Tel stay or should he go?

FTSE Beater

Experienced member
I feel really sorry for Terry Venables, he went to Leeds hoping that this could be the team that confirms how good a manager he is and hopefully win some silver wear.

Then they sold. Rio Ferdinand, Folwer, Bowyer, Woodgate, Robbie Keane (and someone else who I can't think of), Well that's a decent 5 a side team in itself!!! What makes me laugh, is that, with the exception of Ferdinand, the players were sold for a lot less then their worth.

If I was Venables, I would leave and let the Leeds board get what they deserve - and I don't think anyone could blame him.

Just my thoughts. :)

I agree FTSE Beater

It seems that the Chairman has excluded El Tel from the decision making process of several of the sales. Now i think Venables will have the support of the fans and so has nothing to lose in staying on, although he may find this difficult with his pride as a very experienced and elite level coach.
Olivier Dacourt was the other player to be shipped out.

Hi FTSE,

He should go. His position is untenable. He will get another decent job quite easily.

If you look at the reasons why the players were sold, its simply because they are a plc whose debts doubled from £35m to £70m+ in one year. The team is not important to a plc, money is.

They gambled on £30m per year from Champions league football and lost the bet. Its going to take a big club like this going under before people finally realise that players cannot be paid the silly sums of money they get now, nor can they be transferred for £30m.

A similar example is Derby County, they have sold their five most sellable assets in the belief they have enough points in the bag to survive in Division 1 this season. What will happen next year?

They are still massively in debt and losing money week by week.

My own club Notts County were £5m in debt when the administrators were called in. Eight months later they are £6m in debt and still in administration. They haven't signed a single player in over a year (not even a free be) have a squad that has about 18 professionals and will be lucky to avoid the drop to division 3.

They have one player who earns £100,000 per annum, he wont leave till his contract is up, whilst the average wage is something like £35,000. Average home gates are around 6000. These problems were caused by Peter Storrie and when it got hot he pissed off to Portsmouth. If they don't go up this year then god help them because its the same gamble he took and lost with us.

Its not difficult to see why something like 14 clubs are in administration and around 10 more probably should be.

JonnyT