Shifting Gears - Advice on Investing in Common Stocks

Ramius^

Cliff Notes: Looking for suggestions on strategies and trend indicators to review for trading stocks.

Like most people, I've been seeking after the Grail. My focus was in futures of the S&P, Dow, Euro, Corn and Gold.

I haven't found my Grail or a path to consistent profit in those areas, though I suppose I am luckier than most to be able to say that I have not lost my shirt on the venture and have come out ahead. Just not enough to be meaningful or worthwhile!

So I'm shifting gears a little bit and looking at opening an equity account with the theory that trading stocks against trends and resistance points in the relatively "slow" pace may be less of a hyper day for me.

I know all the basics of fundamentals, but am looking for advice on strategies to take a look at and/or indicators to play with which will help me.

I run TradeStation 8.3, Ninja Trader and am currently educating myself on the use of the new Worden program called Blocks.

Thanks for the tips!

I am a firm believer in the holding of a long term portfolio and have held one for all of my investing life, which goes back to the early sixties.

Once the share has been selected, for fundamental value, I monitor it by TA. Nothing fancy, as I am confident that the share is good, but it is no good buying a falling share and I wait until the picture looks as if the fall is over.

Nothing being bought just yet, by the way, but my shares are holding up well amongst the turmoil.

Split

Since you're based in the US, are you aware of trading Nasdaq stocks using Level 2 data?

Yes, I am. That is what I have had since the turn of the millenium.

As for buy and hold... I'm 28 and looking to continue drawing income off my work. I respect those who are buy and holders, but it is not a tenable approach for me. Maybe if I had $3 mil or more. Trust me, I'm working on that! :)

No one has a good common indicator or approach to suggest?

I overlay 9,17,9 MACDH over 5,12,9 MACDH.
There are other things to consider (ge Slow Stoch 14/3) but when the one MACDH is hidden by the other that's a trigger.