Shares going ex-div

Edinburgh Bear

Can someone please tell me where I would find a list of when ftse shares are going ex-dividend?
I looked everywhere, and am just looking for those in the ftse100 and 250

Please help this frustrated individual!

gmca686 said:
Ask and ye shall receive!

http://www.investorease.com/

See menu on left. However, it can get out of date and miss some.
regards, G McA

Now here's a question, from a stupid novice trader!!!!
Liberty International is going ex-div tommorrow. Is it worth shorting shares about to go ex-div?
Logic tells me it will drop about the value of its dividend tommorrow!
It can't be that easy, so why am I wrong?

You're quite right, it isn't that easy!!

I'm not accurate here with all the technical details but in essence, if you're short of the stock you will have to pay the rough equivalent of the dividend in the same way that if you were long, you would get the divi but expect the stock to drop by around the same percentage.

You should also have a look at the chart patterns just before they go ex-div, you will often see shares with a higher % div rising just before the ex-div date and money can be made in that period as late buyers look to get in for the divi. but it's not that consistent or easy so beware!

I have also noticed that shares that have been trading strongly will fall by the divi amount on the first morning after going ex-div but will recover quickly and are often a goof intra-day trade if you are clever with your timing.

rich64 said:
You're quite right, it isn't that easy!!

I'm not accurate here with all the technical details but in essence, if you're short of the stock you will have to pay the rough equivalent of the dividend in the same way that if you were long, you would get the divi but expect the stock to drop by around the same percentage.

You should also have a look at the chart patterns just before they go ex-div, you will often see shares with a higher % div rising just before the ex-div date and money can be made in that period as late buyers look to get in for the divi. but it's not that consistent or easy so beware!

I have also noticed that shares that have been trading strongly will fall by the divi amount on the first morning after going ex-div but will recover quickly and are often a goof intra-day trade if you are clever with your timing.

Does that mean then Liberty for instance will probably fall by it's amount tommorrow morning?
If that is the case why don't I short it tonight on a spread bet and by it back tommorrow morning?
Again I know it can't be that simple!

If it was that simple, everyone would do it. The catch is that you would owe the dividend to the person who bought your short shares. The SB company would reduce your selling price by the div amount. So you don't gain
regards, G McA