Selling when a share is going up?

buzzing

I just read in a book that it is good to buy when a stock is going up and then sell after it has gone up further, is this a good idea? I guess you're following the confidence!

I just read in a book that it is good to buy when a stock is going up and then sell after it has gone up further, is this a good idea? I guess you're following the confidence!

What book is it? I would certainly like to read it.

its not a good idea..its a crazy idea.

This is like saying buy low, and sell high...no ****, but easier said than done...

I would almost bet if you followed this strategy you would get crushed... the DOW has been going up since January, would you buy it now? I certainly wouldn't. It is in a topping pattern, and volatility is entering, and close to a double top, I would want confirmation and a 2 closes above 14200 before I would go long the market right now. I am actually looking for an opportunity to short the market.

There is a lot more to trading than that statement - but it is taken out of context so I will reserve judgement.... who wrote the book?

Yeah sure. A stock that is trending will most likely continue to increase in price. If the trend does turn against you then be sure to leave asap.

I think I've read this book. Is it by Billy ray Valentine?

If it is the book I'm thinking of, he's talking about the pork belly market specifically

I think I've read this book. Is it by Billy ray Valentine?

If it is the book I'm thinking of, he's talking about the pork belly market specifically

Yes, that's him. So his strategy was only meant for the 'pork belly market' ?

Yeah sure. A stock that is trending will most likely continue to increase in price. If the trend does turn against you then be sure to leave asap.

Ok. So you say leave ASAP, you mean using a stop loss? And when you buy, how much lower than your buying price do you set it?

that is a basic concept that needs some context. you could interpret it in several ways.
if you sell when price is falling, then you would be selling at a loss or a smaller profit, wouldn't you?

what is the book title, by the way?

Ok let's assume a stock is going up and you buy it. What makes you believe that it will continue and that it isn't the top? Also based on this if this isn't the top you don't know where the top is. It's very easy for authors to make vague assertions like well you need to buy low and sell high but the reality of trying to do this is very different.