Selecting stocks for P&V analysis

rmwesley

I had started trading for real in small amounts earlier last year and was doing reasonably well. However I stopped in June since I felt I didn't really have the confidence to deal with the impact of the "credit crunch" on the equity markets. As a result I've lost my way.

My approach is simply to eyeball as many charts as possible looking for breakout opportunities from areas of accumulation / bases. No indicators, just price and volume. Once I spot an interesting chart pattern I put the stock in a watchlist and then track the progress of all the potential candidates on an EOD basis. I try to understand the character or balance of price, volume, supply and demand based on the information I've found in these forums.

The problem I'm trying to get to grips with is where to look to obtain potential candidates for my watchlist. As a minimum I filter stocks based on a closing price between $5 and $30 and a 90 day average volume greater than 500k. For example, on Friday this gave 6 candidates in the DJ-30, 41 in the NASDAQ-100, 164 in the SP-500, 517 on the NYSE exchange, 386 on the NASDAQ and 20 on the AMEX, 5 in the Regional NorthEast Banks sector, 2 in the Oil and Gas Pipelines sector etc. etc. etc. you get the picture.

I don't understand whether one particular group of stocks either in an exchange, an index, an industry or based on some fundamental criteria are any more or less likely to be candidates for professional accumulation and distribution cycles, e.g. are DJ-30 stocks so widely traded that these types of opportunities are simply lost or averaged out in the myriad of different tactics and strategies being used? Should I be looking in the Small Caps to find the "next big thing"? Or does it just not matter?

One option is to just concentrate on and analyse the same set of stocks every day. I have time to study up to 10 stocks in depth each day. Rather than looking for a single setup opportunity based on break out from accumulation, expand my armoury so I understand the character of each of these stocks and have different tactics and opportunities for entry. Comes back to the same thing though....how do I choose this new group of stocks. I was thinking along the lines of narrowing down SP-500 stocks by looking at those which did not move in step with the main index. This could be based on relative strength or beta, with the rationale that action is occuring in these stocks which is not related to wider market conditions.

Any ideas / views / approaches that work for you? Are one group of stocks more or less likely to be suitable for P&V analysis than any other?

Many thanks in advance,
Richard

Hi Richard,
What timeframe do you trade?
I day trade and filter out stocks that have an average 10 day volume of 1 million per day, and an average daily high / low range of $1.50. This reduces the size of the list considerably. An additional filter you might like to consider is picking stocks based on a daily chart that print inside days. Inside days are an early indicator of a possible change in direction or a continuation of the current trend and often result in strong moves.
Tim.

Hi Tim,

My preference is for swing trading based on EOD data.

I guess the thrust of my question is more towards whether any grouping of stocks, be it index membership, sector membership, fundamental criteria etc. makes a stock a better or worse candidate for price and volume analysis. An example might help me explain myself better....say I was attempting to identify a stock under a period of accumulation to try and catch a breakout from a base. Could I rule out the DJ-30 stocks because they are so widely traded by so many different groups with so many different objectives that any attempt to accumulate one would be rendered useless? This is probably complete rubbish since I've just made it up off the top of my head, but other people may feel that they have very valid reasons for narrowing down the universe of stocks they consider when looking at things like accumulation, distribution, supply and demand.

If the general concensus is that any stock is fair game for pre-meditated accumulation/distibution then it actually makes my life easier since I can just use "simple" criteria as you have suggested to narrow down my watchlist, e.g. closing price, volume, range.

Many thanks in advance,
Richard

With market scanning software there is one big problem.
Statistically:When picking samples from a very large population you will always get stocks wih extreme patterns.

It is better to use a smaller pool of scanned items, not more than 100-200 stocks.

I use portfolio or market scanning software to obtain trading signals and I am only active in equities whith the best score ....
With this strategy you use the score as a trading signal.

*If the score is above the score for a non-volative short bond fund => buy signal
*If the score is below the score for the bond => sell signal

The advantage is that you, depending on the software, can take several criteria into account and that the trading signals are quite stable.

Criteria I use is how well the stock has developed, if it's volatility is changing, etc....

/Samuel

portfolio_scan.png

When buying stocks, I like to look at sector strength first, then select stocks that are strongest in that sector. Then, watch those for a setup. You can use the SPYDR ETFs and compare them to the SPX to see sector strength. Select the strongest stocks in the ETF to trade. It is simple, but it works.