securities or Investment managemet

kagein

I'm a undergrad and want to take the sii exam's this summer so that i'll be on better footing when i apply next year for jobs in an IB.i was wondering whether i should take unit 2 securities or unit 5 Investment managment, or would it not make a difference?

Definately take the Regs, Securities and Derivatives paper. Always looks good on a cv and this is usually the bench mark for Analyst level accros the back, middle and front office. 'Generally' people who take IM paper have a few years experience (associate level) or a going directly into that field i.e pension fund/private wealth managment.

I was thinking of doing Unit 1- Regulation and Unit 4 - Securities & Financial derivatives(together)

or shall i do securities(Unit2) and derivatives(unit 3) seperately?, (along with the compulsory unit 1)

I was told to do them seperately because the Unit 4 SFD derivatives section does not cover commodity derivatives (therefore you can't work with derivatives on oil, metals, softs, etc) where as the Unit 3 Derivatives does cover them. It just makes you look more flexable to potential employers.

Definately take the Regs, Securities and Derivatives paper. Always looks good on a cv and this is usually the bench mark for Analyst level accros the back, middle and front office. 'Generally' people who take IM paper have a few years experience (associate level) or a going directly into that field i.e pension fund/private wealth managment.
I already bought the book....75 quid down the drain should have probably asked before buying it....oh well

Just do them all ha ha!! Having Unit 1,2,3 & 5 on your CV will do no harm at all and I doubt many other candidates will have shown that much initiative or dedication. It'll show potential employers that you have a good grasp of all business areas. Could be quite handy to have it under your belt now as it's a real bugger having to study and work at the same time.

Yes, once you've passed the exam you have 24 months to get yourself into an FSA'd role. If you don't start working for a firm within that period they'll expire and you'll have to sit them all again.

Just another quick question,

It says it cost £150 for the certificate in securities, does this price include unit 1? and if so how can i then just take the derivatives paper to gain the derivatives certificate without doing unit 1 again?

I'm a undergrad and want to take the sii exam's this summer so that i'll be on better footing when i apply next year for jobs in an IB.i was wondering whether i should take unit 2 securities or unit 5 Investment managment, or would it not make a difference?

Hi there, im taking the exam for unit 1 and unit 2, can you advised as I would like a change in career? Im currently working in the telecom industry, as im not too sure about my current job.

cheers