Search For A Post

Guesty

When using the 'search for a post' facility, is there a way of searching for a sentence or specific group of words...? For example, if i search for 'Interest rate', what i actually get are posts with the words interest and/or rate but not only 'interest rate' together. What this entails is trawling through a copious amount of posts which have no relevance to my initial search, in this instance, 202 to be exact!

Any suggestions or am i missing something ?

Hi Guesty,

I'm afraid not. You'd certainly think it shouldn't be difficult to do, but the actual mechanics of searching across every post on T2W requires a fair bit of work.

The reason you're search is so quick is because the system catalogues every word (over 3 chars). This amounts to over 100,000 words. The index used to link a word with a post amounts to over 1,200,000 entries.

Now in order to catalogue multiple words together is an enormous task, since once word could be grouped with any other word - potentially adding 100,000 x 100,000 x 2 (because a word could be the first one or second) that's 20,000,000,000 (of course in reality the breadth of combinations is limited by gramatical and language constraints).

Anyway, I think you get the idea!

hmmm... very interesting! Sso any idea's how google does it so quickly as it has zillions of sites te size of t2w or bigger....
i've always wondered how they do it....