Screwed By Your Own Bank?

The May Fly

Guys,

I have a different problem to most people here and I'm sure that what I'm going to say next will sound like boasting. I assure you that is not the case, because where I may have succeeded in one aspect I clearly need some advice in another...

Having been interested in trading for the better part of a decade, I've gone through all the ups and downs that I expect most of you are experiencing. In the last year I have had (from my perspective anyway) phenomenal success and made over a million US dollars trading forex. I've done this while also working a part time job and as my wife works a full time 'normal' job I've not actually had to touch my trading capital until now. I withdrew $25k recently and was shocked when I saw the sum that arrived into my UK bank account after it was converted from dollars back into pounds. I know forex isn't a regulated market and therefore there is not an official price, but I still thought there were certain limits in place and therefore had a rough idea what I had expected would be in my bank account. In order to get the sum that actually DID arrive, the price of GBP/USD would need to have been over 200 pips higher than where it was at the time I made the withdrawal!!!! After I confronted the bank to ask them what the hell they'd done, they told me that it was a competitive price and they needed to safeguard their own interests for the time they held the money until conversion was complete. I thought this was a bull**** answer and wrote back to them to complain. A few days later I received a very nice but firm reply telling me this is how they do business and either like it or lump it. The only 'advice' they gave me was that I could open a US dollar account with them, but unless I was a dual citizen and lived half my time in America then I can see no good reason for doing this. Maybe I'm just dumb, but how could this possible benefit me? I want the dollars changed into pounds so that I can use them here and so I cannot see how having a dollar account could possibly benefit me. So, my question to all of you here is this:

How do I get the profits I've made, converted into pounds, without being screwed by the bank in the process? Keep in mind the fact that the broker has as a stipulation in it's terms and conditions that any withdrawals can only be returned to the same bank account from which they came in the first place. This is an anti-money laundering clause.

Any help/ideas/advice will be most gratefully appreciated!

Thanks.

There are UK based firms that will accept your money and let you trade in the Forex. And they have better protection against firm instability than US firms. Why would you go outside the country so that you have to repatriate your funds?

No doubt - high street banks will rip you off on exchange rates - eg one i looked at just now for sterling conversions to

US DOLLARS 1.5103 1.7272

You're clearly smart enough to figure out and negotiate a solution.