Save a life, please

Mr. Charts

Legendary member
I hope it's ok to post this here. If not, the moderators will no doubt remove this thread and then please accept my apologies.
I just want to do a little more to help this woman. I'm so enraged and upset to see this is going on yet again:

"Tom Hougaard has just Emailed all on his TA list the following request. If you have not seen it please try & help and pass it on to your friends

Dear Friends,
I do not usually do these round letters but I feel compelled to urge you to take a few moments of your time to add your name to an amnesty petition. Amnesty International is an awesome organisation that manages to save lives and release many imprisoned and those who suffer and are tortured...
I have just learned that the Nigerian supreme court has upheld the death sentence for Amina Lawal, who was condemned for the crime of adultery. She is to be buried up to her neck and stoned to death. Her death has been postponed for one month so that she can continue to nurse her baby. Amina's case is being handled by the Spanish branch of Amnesty International, which is attempting to put together enough signatures
to make the Nigerian government rescind the death sentence. (A similar campaign saved another Nigerian woman, Safiya, condemned in similar circumstances.) The petition has so far (as of April 7th) amassed over 4,100,000 signatures. It will only take you a few seconds to sign Amnesty's online petition.
Go to the web page http://www.amnistiaporsafiya.org/ enter your first name in the space marked 'nombre', last name ('apellidos'), county/state ('provincia'), and country from the drop down box - choose Reino Unido (UK), Estados Unidos
(USA), or whichever is appropriate. Then click on 'Seguir' and go to the second page.
There you have the option of entering your email address if you wish to receive follow-up information. In any case, be sure to click on 'aceptar'
to have your name added to the petition list.
Please sign the petition now, then forward this message to everyone in your address book.
Your action could save a life, the life of a beautiful woman. Themba Facilitate
PO Box 186
Hampton
Middlesex TW12 2ZJ
T +44 (0)2089417028
F +44 (0)2089417028
E [email protected]
www.themba.tv
Registered Charity in the UK, Number 1055971
Copyright © 2002 Themba, All rights reserved.

Before anyone signs this petition they should know that it is a borderline hoax/not what it claims to be. The following is actually from Amnesty International (which the petition claims to be but isn't).

http://web.amnesty.org/library/Index/ENGAFR440132003

Amnesty are explicitly against a petition as the rule of law is currently being upheld.

wysi

Thanks wysi - I must admit the 'petition' did sound very much like the sort of hoaxes that you see on the Internet, but it's good that you have spotted it and posted a follow-up link.

If anyone thinks the original post should be removed to avoid any confusion, then please say so.

I think it's ok- just read the link from WYSI..... that will clear it all up.Tragic case.

It sounds like a bit of politicking from Amnesty; sort of don't complain till the appeal in case we rock the boat.
Maybe, but how soon after the appeal will this barbaric sentence be carried out, I wonder? Straight away to forestall a campaign?
Anyhow, delete the thread at your discretion, Skim.