daily macci o/s and turning up nicely

open a nice long portflio me thinks

sit back n watch the $$$$ flow in.....

belflan

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 24
Hi Glen, nice avatar ... you expecting more black swans ahead :)

Seems to have been the problem with the big boys risk management; they didn't allow for all the black swan events in their bell curves.

Good to see all your posts of late.
Jonathan

Hi Glen,
Your chart has no id, what's the instrument?
Cheers,
Tim.

ok, so at this point in time (on the chart) i open up a long portfolio, my account has $30K in it and with margin I open positions worth $55K in the underlining US stocks

my risk is diversified across 10 different stocks

belflan

next day all going well nice spike up (very technical).. most long portflio positions now in profit:)

belflan

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 10
day two spike down.. hmm, stop running maybe..

I'm thinkin analysis not wrong, just need to give it time.

belflan

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 8
day three, another spike down, hmm, long portflio now well in loss

not to worry, all weak long now flushed out.. time to rocket north..

belflan

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 8
day four, ok my analysis was probably wrong,

will look for a exit within the next few days, within a spike up hopefully. I know now my exit is going to be at a loss...

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 7
day five, oh feck, oh feck, oh feck

index down 30% from entry, positions closed at close.....

underlining position value $55K less, say, $16.5K (30%) = $38.5K

account balance on exit = $8.5K

loss of $21.5K (71.6%) of account value in 5 days

maybe this is a conservative estimate of the possible losses as the 10 stocks traded may have been more volatile than the index its self.. may be a $30K (100% account size) loss in 5days?.. may be more.. may be I have to give more money to my broker?

belflan

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
day five, oh feck, oh feck, oh feck

index down 30% from entry, positions closed at close.....

underlining position value $55K less, say, $16.5K (30%) = $38.5K

account balance on exit = $8.5K

loss of $21.5K (71.6%) of account value in 5 days

maybe this is a conservative estimate of the possible losses as the 10 stocks traded may have been more volatile than the index its self.. may be a $30K (100% account size) loss in 5days?.. may be more.. may be I have to give more money to my broker?

belflan

BelflanI don't know if you introduced this thread in another thread, but would you mind stating the purpose of this thread. I can see that you are "back-testing" a portfolio strategy, but what exactly are you trying to test and what do you hope to get out of it ? I just wanted to know the context, so that I can follow your thread better.Charlton

BelflanI don't know if you introduced this thread in another thread, but would you mind stating the purpose of this thread. I can see that you are "back-testing" a portfolio strategy, but what exactly are you trying to test and what do you hope to get out of it ? I just wanted to know the context, so that I can follow your thread better.Charlton

hi Charlton,

what i'm thinking here is that soon (within the next 4-6 months) I'm going to be putting my own hard earned cash on the line..

in this thread i want to look at what the worst case is within the different strats I may use.. what might happen if all goes wrong if you like.. I want to hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst.. what's the risk

cheers
belflan

I believe my largest intra trade, intra day trading draw down was on day 15. I was short AAPL, RIMM and AMZN at the same time and they run against me approx $2,200 in total. My position sizing was as follows

AAPL = 426
RIMM = 474
AMZN = 703

I believe my scalping has move on quite a bit since then (within a short period of time), and I do not believe I would allow myself to get into this position again. However I'm trying to look a worst case situations on this thread.. so I run with this..

so what if I was postioned as above (positions also running against me as above) and AAPL, RIMM and AMZN all spike sharply against me.

what I need to know is what is the largest 1min bar that AAPL, RIMM and AMZN have produced? I'll have a look at the data I have..

belflan

I run against me approx $2,200 in total. My position sizing was as follows

AAPL = 426
RIMM = 474
AMZN = 703

so having a quick look back at AAPL's, RIMM's and AMZN's resent past. you could get a 1-2min spike against you of AAPL $1-$1.5 RIMM $1-$1.25 and AMZN $.75

If these spikes all happen at the same time while i was in the above positions I would be running a lost of around $4K

belflan