Results trades, UK stocks

tomorton

Legendary member
8,400 1,338
Thursday update -

Circassia and Kier both triggered and both quickly stopped out. Big outside bars in both cases, hard to contend with these, and the objective is not necessarily to be not stopped out....
Now I look at them both show pretty flat price action for a few weeks. Maybe shoulda coulda put entry price higher....

tomorton

Legendary member
8,400 1,338
Friday update -

Added buy order for M&C Saatchi (announcement due 21/09).

Galliford Try long running.

Learning Technologies buy pending.

I will add a buy order for Oxford Biomedica (announcement due 22/09) over the weekend or Monday am, margin permitting.

tomorton

Legendary member
8,400 1,338
Tuesday update -

M&C Saatchi buy order triggered but position stopped out for -0.5r.

Oxford Biomedica buy order triggered.

Learning Technologies buy order cancelled - price fell on announcement.

tomorton

Legendary member
8,400 1,338
Wednesday update -

Oxford Biomedica long hit TP for +2r.

tomorton

Legendary member
8,400 1,338
Thursday update -

Add buy order for United Utilities (I've set this one quite a lot higher than the current price action zone, as price has been weak lately).

tomorton

Legendary member
8,400 1,338
Friday update -

Manually closed Galliford Try, its been running a week since its announcement and showing a lack of momentum.

I'm watching the United Utilities buy closely - price has to dramatically recover or I won't want to be in this on the 28th.

tomorton

Legendary member
8,400 1,338
Cancelled United Utilities buy order.

No trades open or orders pending until next week some time, when candidates could be Sthree (05/10), later Hays and Hurricane Energy, 14/10.

Glastonburyk

20 3
Here's a simple strategy that I am using in spreadbetting UK stocks.

The idea is to get long on companies with bullish share price uptrends a few days ahead of their calendared results announcements. I've found it useful to set a SL at Entry minus 1 x ATR14 and a TP at Entry + 1.5 x ATR14, with a position size currently at 1% of account capital.

I'm using the daily news update in my trusty Sharescope to identify potential targets but these announcements are calendared elsewhere too. Entry is by a pre-set buy order, set within the 7 days prior to results, preferably at a price a little above a recent daily low - no specific candlestick etc. patterns. I have to check the targets to make sure my SB firm actually offers a book on these shares - unfortunately many AIM and smallcap stocks are therefore not tradable for me - these often move dramatically on news.

Right now I am in -
Balfour Beatty (results expected 18/08)

I have orders set for -
RPS (11/08, so this is running late: its such a nice uptrend I'm giving it a few more days)
Bank of Georgia (17/08)
Antofagasta (19/08)
Marshall's (19/08)
OSB (19/08)
Rank (19/08)
South32 (19/08)

This strategy is old as the hills. I had read about it in my very earliest trading / TA books. Alpesh Patel also put up a similar strategy outline, I think it was in the FT many years back: significantly Alpesh used an aggressive SL based on the low of the day preceding the results announcement.

This is running OK for me though I appreciate the stock indices are all bullish so that has to help. These days I'm looking forwards to Monday mornings again.
Do you have long term data?

tomorton

Legendary member
8,400 1,338
Monday update -

Buy orders set for Hays (announcement due 14/10) and Mediclinic International (announcement due 15/10).

tomorton

Legendary member
8,400 1,338
Wednesday update -

Moved Hays SL to low of today's range.

Buy order for Mediclinic International triggered: moved SL to low of today's range.

tomorton

Legendary member
8,400 1,338
Friday update -

Hays and Mediclinic longs still running. Hays SL moved to the day's low again. Moved the Mediclinic SL to close behind price and set to trail: their price rose 12% as they released first half results and I want to capture at least the bulk of such a move.

tomorton

Legendary member
8,400 1,338
Monday update -

Mediclinic and Hays both closed on trailing SL's for profit.

Set buy orders for Segro (announcement due 19/10) and 888 Holdings (announcement due 20/10). 888 Holdings buy triggered.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock