Reducing exposure to stocks

ashoksagar

Call me faint hearted, but I have just reduced my exposure to the stock market and now am currently 50% cash. The ongoing political uncertainties are making me nervous and I would rather protect my profits than having the market take it all back. :(

Call me faint hearted, but I have just reduced my exposure to the stock market and now am currently 50% cash. The ongoing political uncertainties are making me nervous and I would rather protect my profits than having the market take it all back. :(

Whatever your reasons, closing a position doesnt mean youll have to enter another one!

Being out of the market is part of a traders plan... at least in my book

All the best

vcir

i would stay away for a few more weeks if you are just buying

unless you are going to short its very difficult to make money in a down trend..

upload a gif

but as it looks the FTSE and most other index's seem to be near lows for this down trend.

hopefully the bulls will be back in control soon. i,m in a similar situation to you closed out my longs but i never went short, and just waiting for the right time to re enter the market.. patience is what keeps capital...

Hi guys, I have been day trading index futures for a while now and am branching out into investing in a more diverse portfolio. The idea is to have a long/short portfolio, time frame 1 day to three weeks (roughly lol) which I can run alongside my day trading to grow my capital. My knowledge of fundamental analysis could easily be written on a beer mat, so I trade mostly using price action on the D1 and H1 charts.

Question is this, as the indexes are in a bear trend, I've been (unlike you guys who seem to be waiting for the bulls to come in again) short several uk and us stocks. With some success! The problem is, how to hedge against the risk of the market suddenly having a huge bull spike day and wiping me out? All my long positions have been losers last few days! It's like everything just follows the indexes when the bear trend is this strong!?

One obvious strategy would be to be long some kind of bond, 10 yr t-note future or something. And I have been long gold as it's been in a nice bull trend for a while.

Any other ideas, tips? Input? Recommended reading on short term portfolio management strategies?

Thanks!

/Sh8rk3y

Hi guys, I have been day trading index futures for a while now and am branching out into investing in a more diverse portfolio. The idea is to have a long/short portfolio, time frame 1 day to three weeks (roughly lol) which I can run alongside my day trading to grow my capital. My knowledge of fundamental analysis could easily be written on a beer mat, so I trade mostly using price action on the D1 and H1 charts.

Question is this, as the indexes are in a bear trend, I've been (unlike you guys who seem to be waiting for the bulls to come in again) short several uk and us stocks. With some success! The problem is, how to hedge against the risk of the market suddenly having a huge bull spike day and wiping me out? All my long positions have been losers last few days! It's like everything just follows the indexes when the bear trend is this strong!?

One obvious strategy would be to be long some kind of bond, 10 yr t-note future or something. And I have been long gold as it's been in a nice bull trend for a while.

Any other ideas, tips? Input? Recommended reading on short term portfolio management strategies?

Thanks!

/Sh8rk3y

i just trade UK shares, and yes most do just track the inxed because the index is just all those companies .. its come as no surprise that you didn't have many winning longs over the past few day. id imagine even the guys in the city didnt even have many longs.. to reduce risk just simply close when you/markets are not so predictable and take a break.. capital preservation is key. and having itchy fingers to trade is common we all get it. personally when i reduce risk its simply closing trades what are turning around, i dont try and catch them again via shorting or going long on previous shorts. but thats just me, everyone is different! losing trades are a part of trading and should never let them ruin your ideas. i always just think " i may have lost £1000 today but that doesn't necessarily mean its gone, il just get it back when the market decides to show me opportunity!" !"

Last edited:

You do right imho mate, were in a massive credit bubble, cheap is a 6% yield on the snp, its bout two...

There's all this talk of relative to bonds, but if that money means something to you, keep it aside bucko......