Red Hot Penny Shares

Salty Gibbon

Experienced member
Has anybody heard of, or had experience of " Red Hot Penny Shares" which is published by a company called Fleet Street Publications Limited ?

Salty Gibbon said:
Has anybody heard of, or had experience of " Red Hot Penny Shares" which is published by a company called Fleet Street Publications Limited ?

I have read that penny shares are such because of their poor state of health or are new entrants yet untried.

Usually ramped up in a magazine - people buy on a Monday and guess who sells to them.

Buying is the easy bit. Selling can be a problem due to the limited number of brokers dealing in the share and the small number of shares with which they deal.

So you could buy a thousand but when you want out they tell you that they only deal in lots of 200.

The spreads could also be wide.

http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/david/

http://www.thisismoney.com/19990619/ae4579.html

http://www.thisismoney.com/20000126/ae10950.html

Hope this helps albeit not a definitive guide.

Yep, been going a few years now, when I first started I was taking one of their sister publications. Can't think what it was called now. But it's run the same way.

They conveniently forget to mention the duff trades. They also forget to include spread and commission costs when crowing about winners. Least they used to.
There is money to made from these penny stocks of course, but you need to deal in a fair amount of size, and because of liquidity there are fewer mm's and wider spreads. So getting shot of them may be a problem.

The other thing with penny stocks is that they tend to stay penny stocks for a long time, so they might not move much over a couple of weeks, a lot of times not even enough to cover your spread.

My view is to leave them alone in the real world unless you have bags of time and don't mind a possible loss of a couple of grand.

Great when they do move quickly, but all in all stick to the blue chips. Volume = movement = more money.

I agree with Options here,
'Fleet Street Letter' was another - all from the same bunch along with a few others I think. Often quite sensible in the commentary, but in practise the trades I looked over tended to leave you thinking 'Ah, but when costs and bid-ask are taken into consideration', plus the NMS of some trades was so small that I doubt you'd actually manage anything like the headline figures... good ideas, but difficult in practise I'd say.
Decent volume, NMS and movement are important - penny shares = acting on tips from people who are friends of the chairman's wife's hairdresser in my view, decent analysis will make money if you do it right, and if you get the TA right then the last thing you want is someone to sneeze and chop 50% off the price when their finger slips....
Dave

If you are at all serious about investing I would stear well clear of the hype provided by Fleet Street Publications.....

They are targeted at gullible people who don't really understand investments, but are intrigued by the idea of making a fast buck.

In reality they are more likely to lose a fast buck...

Airthrey Capital said:
If you are at all serious about investing I would stear well clear of the hype provided by Fleet Street Publications.....

They are targeted at gullible people who don't really understand investments, but are intrigued by the idea of making a fast buck.

In reality they are more likely to lose a fast buck...

Agreed, to an extent.

Whilst they pick some winners, their portfolio is large, and out of quite a lot of shares, many are going to do well.

One other point (I stress here this is my OPINION, not a statement of fact) is that their prices are often hard to achieve. Prices often jump 10 or 20% when the newsletter comes out and they measure their performance against the pre tip market prices.

Also when they dump stocks, they measure their performance again at pre sell tip prices.

I don't think in reality you could easily match the claimed performance - your profits would be less and losses more.

I did subscribe briefly but in my own case, won't be continuing.

Hope this helps.

ok, I'll probably be abused for posting in this thread but has anyone tried Red Hot Penny Shares recently? They're still advertising and apparently still doing quite well with their trades.

I haven't used RHPS but if you're into this sort of thing there is a UK magazine called shares. They tend to concentrate on long term and mid term plays, but their promoted stocks do rise short term.

I have to say shares has never let me down, obviously you need to have a little bit of common sense, for example if a share being tipped is on a mega down trend, it's not worth bothering with if you are trading a margined account.

However flat liners, uptrends or ranged shares that are tipped do go up thus I follow them with a trailing stop which I stick to.

Some of the trades they tip go up for weeks as a lot of the readers don't seem to buy the moment the market opens, this in my opinion serves everybody well as a lot of the readers will hold their investment so the tipped stock doesn't end up being a pump and dump. Most times you won't see any retrace at all. This lasts long enough for the market to catch on and continue carrying the stock upwards.

Share are bang on with their fundemental research and cover all aspects of the market. For example today they said to long ETF agriculture.

For finding my own intraday pumps I use stockvision, I've built my own filter for it that catches fast moving shares, I don't make much money out of it usually, around 5% - 10% on average, but it sure beats being glued to a screen daytrading the FTSE 100. I use MF Global CFD's which gives me market tight spreads and no slippage on the small trades I make.

Penny stocks can earn you a good wage, but keep your trade sizes small, so that your orders always get filled.

For days when there's no stock vision boomers or shares magazine issues I revert to good old technical analysis swing trading! and the best place to learn that is from informed trades youtube videos.

There you go, everything you need to know in one post! I should have charged you for this.... hmmm you can buy my stock vision filter for £100k if you like.

Last edited:
A common penny stock profit scam is to buy shares of a stock at a low price, then post a lot of encouraging messages on penny stock forums for the purpose of driving the price of the shares up.

I haven't used RHPS but if you're into this sort of thing there is a UK magazine called shares. They tend to concentrate on long term and mid term plays, but their promoted stocks do rise short term.

I have to say shares has never let me down, obviously you need to have a little bit of common sense, for example if a share being tipped is on a mega down trend, it's not worth bothering with if you are trading a margined account.

However flat liners, uptrends or ranged shares that are tipped do go up thus I follow them with a trailing stop which I stick to.

Some of the trades they tip go up for weeks as a lot of the readers don't seem to buy the moment the market opens, this in my opinion serves everybody well as a lot of the readers will hold their investment so the tipped stock doesn't end up being a pump and dump. Most times you won't see any retrace at all. This lasts long enough for the market to catch on and continue carrying the stock upwards.

Share are bang on with their fundemental research and cover all aspects of the market. For example today they said to long ETF agriculture.

For finding my own intraday pumps I use stockvision, I've built my own filter for it that catches fast moving shares, I don't make much money out of it usually, around 5% - 10% on average, but it sure beats being glued to a screen daytrading the FTSE 100. I use MF Global CFD's which gives me market tight spreads and no slippage on the small trades I make.

Penny stocks can earn you a good wage, but keep your trade sizes small, so that your orders always get filled.

For days when there's no stock vision boomers or shares magazine issues I revert to good old technical analysis swing trading! and the best place to learn that is from informed trades youtube videos.

There you go, everything you need to know in one post! I should have charged you for this.... hmmm you can buy my stock vision filter for £100k if you like.

Thanks for the excellent information. I got sucked into the RHPS make you rich quick thinking. I was also looking at other systems and then subscribed to this forum looking for reviews of such products.
i am a little upset that I won't be a millionaire in 6 months time but glad I now may not be dirt poor from losses either:cheesy:

I figure I have 6 months of learning to do before even playing with real money.

Like many services RHPS tips can be a bit of a gamble.I've been with them some years and I am certainly not out of pocket.Then again I don't act on all the recommendations.They have losses but some of the gains have been excellent.
It's not overly expensive and quite a good read.Compared to some newsletters and email bulletins they are not paid to promote companies.
The reason they have been going for years is they are what they say they are.No frills.And they do cover dealing costs,the current edition doing an editorial on the subject.
Worth a try,if you don't like it then simply cancel.

A common penny stock profit scam is to buy shares of a stock at a low price, then post a lot of encouraging messages on penny stock forums for the purpose of driving the price of the shares up.

If you ever get emails about the hottest thing in the USA then that is similar to what you're alluding to.Some tippers are paid a lot of commission to bring in new investors.
As for scamming I'm sure many of you have had those phone calls from Geneva or Virgin Isles mentioning Warren Buffett.

Thanks for the excellent information. I got sucked into the RHPS make you rich quick thinking. I was also looking at other systems and then subscribed to this forum looking for reviews of such products.
i am a little upset that I won't be a millionaire in 6 months time but glad I now may not be dirt poor from losses either:cheesy:

I figure I have 6 months of learning to do before even playing with real money.

There are no systems for stocks and shares.Plenty of forex systems around which in my opinion are all a load of hokum.For shares you need good advice,patience and intuition.