Red Blobs ? ?

Finlayson

Right .......obviously I cannot demand replies, your decision if you want to take part......

who else has a red blob against their reputation ?

you might think I am paranoid but I get the jist of what is going on..............might look like I was born yesterday !!....mistake my a.....

PM me if u Like :)

Jay

you might think I am paranoid but I get the jist of what is going on..............might look like I was born yesterday !!....mistake my a.....

Everyone hates me because I'm paranoid

You'd be paranoid too, if they were trying to kill you

Attachments

• HelpLine.jpg
    HelpLine.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 269

I've already asked members who may have a red blob in the reputation section of their User Control Panel to let me know so that we can try to work out how this has happened and whether we need to adjust the present system. The blobs should should be green or grey only. I promise you there is no conspiracy. :)

Just to repeat: The Reputation System is designed so that members cannot leave negative reputation (denoted by red blobs). If anyone has them it is either the result of a fault in the system and/or far more likely a short aberration left over from its early days and we would be grateful to know about them so that at the very least your reputation points score can be adjusted upwards. Please include details such as date, post in question, which member "left" it and if there is comment. PM if you prefer. Thanks.

frugi said:
I've already asked members who may have a red blob in reputation section of their User Control Panel to let me know so that we can work out how the hell this has happened. They should be green or grey only. Now you seem to be accusing T2W of some sort of bizarre conspiracy. If it's a joke I don't find it particularly funny having spent a good while yesterday trying to work out the source of this problem.

Just to repeat: The Reputation System is not and has never been designed so that members can leave negative reputation (denoted by red blobs). If anyone has them it is the result of a fault in the system and/or left over from system testing and we would be grateful to know about them so that at the very least your repuatation points score can be adjusted upwards. Please include details such as date, post in question, which member "left" it and if there is comment. PM if you prefer. Thanks.

Frugi,

The red blob I referred to in the other thread was in The Journey From the Basement Thread (no surprises there!), comment was 'nothing better to do' or words to that effect (at the tme 'no well duh' otherwise I wouldnt have posted it), made on 25/7/04 by Ford.

So, any other memebers out there gonna spew up here?

thanks Jimbo............so I am not completely barking, I am not accusing T2W of a conspiracy.....tho there seems to be little touchy, guilty, never has been..............nothing personal intended to u Frugi .....just an undercurrent that I sometimes detect on T2W in general.....tho that could just be paranoid little me.

but I believe I am understanding different.....sack me if u like , but as jimbo said......any others ?

that is all I was asking?

Jay

Sorry Jay I admit I was a bit touchy (Sunday hangover :eek:) and I have edited my post accordingly.

Thamks Jimbo that's a great help. I think I know what has happened and the explanation is very simple. After a few more checks I will post my findings here.

Cheers Jay. I should have waited for this double Machu Pichu bean espresso to work its magic before posting earlier. :)

Fortunately it appears this isn't a bug at all which is a big relief.

Turns out I'm wrong and there was actually a reputation system in place long before my tenure at T2W, when I helped roll out the new system. This primitive version comes as a default with the bulletin board software and it was also switched on by default, although it was hardly ever used as it was not mentioned in the FAQ and the method of rating someone was a virtually invisible tick and cross below someone's user name. This post by Trader333 from early 2004 (& another of his posts on a recent thread - for which thanks) confirms this:

Trader333 said:
If you check at the bottom of each user name you will see a little √ and X where you can add or detract from a users reputation. This is used to rate the specific post and will affect the "Reputation" of the T2W user, it does not affect the yellow star rating system.

A handful of people had nevertheless used this old system which explains the occasional red blob. It was only with the advent of the "Good Post" button in 2005 that the new system started to be used in earnest, this time with +ve reputation only allowed.

So, entirely my mistake there for not realising this. When Sharky asked me to introduce / overhaul the new reputation system he must have turned off the old system so I assumed wrongly that it had never been used previous to my work on it. Sorry about that folks. Thanks to everyone who has helped clear up this mystery.

Frugi

When I go to my profile, why can't I see my User Rating ?

I can see other members User Rating when I look at their profile.

dd

That's just how it works dd. You can of course see your overall star rating on each of your posts, but the individual ratings are not visible when you look at your own profile (though they are to everyone else). They reason is so that you can't see who has rated you. Personally I find this restriction a tad unecessary but it may help prevent star wars when things get nasty.

Also you will have a reputation score in your User Control Panel which is a separate system (the one being discussed on this thread) and imho a much more useful one than the star ratings which are kinda arbitrary. You can switch off your star rating if you want.

DickD you had 2 ratings and got 3 ratings now, I gave you a 5 for noticing that the system has changed. I gave Finlayson 5 too for his excellent taste in choosing to live in Lincolnshire, unfortunately it does not seem to have boosted his stars yet.

frugi said:
That's just how it works dd. You can of course see your overall star rating on each of your posts, but the individual ratings are not visible when you look at your own profile (though they are to everyone else). They reason is so that you can't see who has rated you. Personally I find this restriction a tad unecessary but it may help prevent star wars when things get nasty. I think everyone starts with three stars so I'd wager that nobody has rated you negatively or positively yet.

Also you will have a reputation score in your User Control Panel which is a separate system and imho a much more useful one than the star ratings which are kinda arbitrary. You can switch off your star rating if you want.

I have had 5 stars since joining in 2003. I lost 2 of them just a few weeks ago. This is not a problem for me ( I feel like a proper member now my rating has been nobbled ) although I am very curious to know who rated me negatively ( i think I already know who :cheesy: ).

Perhaps this restriction should be reversed, it might prevent members being tempted to re-register under under multiple nicks so that they can view their own User Rating.

You never know, some helpful member might pm me with a screen shot of my profile showing who rated me. ( i promise I won't tell ;) ) although I wouldn't condone such illegal activity.

dd

peto said:
DickD you had 2 ratings and got 3 ratings now, I gave you a 5 for noticing that the system has changed. I gave Finlayson 5 too for his excellent taste in choosing to live in Lincolnshire, unfortunately it does not seem to have boosted his stars yet.

Yes , I'm back up to 4 stars now. :D