Recomended books on UK shares

apcunome

I have just moved to London a few months ago and I know nothing of the share market here. I hope in the not to distant future to start investing here in the UK. But I have no knowledge of any of the companies listed here.

My question is, How to build up that knowledge of the market? Where do I start?

Back in New Zealand I found a book on the Top 100 Stocks which is updated every year and my online portfolio very helpful. Is there a similar book of the Top 100 UK stocks that someone could recommend

Appreciate your help!
Regards,
Adrian

For fundamental analysis, books by Jim Slater.
For swing trading, the book by Marc Rivalland.
Possibly books by Simon Cawkwell.
If you are a beginner then maybe Armchair Investor by Bernice Cohen as well.

cheers!

pratbh said:
For fundamental analysis, books by Jim Slater.
For swing trading, the book by Marc Rivalland.
Possibly books by Simon Cawkwell.
If you are a beginner then maybe Armchair Investor by Bernice Cohen as well.

cheers pratbh, i will look out for the book, but what im really after is a book of the top few hundred stocks over the past year or so with a bit of general knowledge on each company, so i can start to narrow down to a handfull of stocks that i can keep an eye on, put in my watchlist. In all my searching on the net I cant find anything like this!

...have you considerd a programme called Sharescope..??

It gines fundamental and many other details of companies etc...

For £14 a month it is good value....

Uk Stock Market Almanac 2005

apcunome said:
I have just moved to London a few months ago and I know nothing of the share market here. I hope in the not to distant future to start investing here in the UK. But I have no knowledge of any of the companies listed here.

My question is, How to build up that knowledge of the market? Where do I start?

Back in New Zealand I found a book on the Top 100 Stocks which is updated every year and my online portfolio very helpful. Is there a similar book of the Top 100 UK stocks that someone could recommend

Appreciate your help!
Regards,
Adrian

GET THE UK STOCK MARKET ALMANAC 2005 FROM WWW.GLOBAL-INVESTOR.COM FOR £11.89. THIS BOOK IS A MARKET CALENDER, REFERENCE WORK AND COMPANY DIRECTORY. YOU CAN ORDER IT NOW, ITS DUE OUT IN NOV

Europe's Top Quoted Companies

I just found a book that i would be keen to purchase "Europe's Top Quoted Companies" but its out of date. (This comprehensive volume gives a unique comparison of the leading companies in the 17 stock exchanges of Europe. Each entry includes the company name, contacts, corporate profile, stock market data, codes, stock indexes, statements of income, ratios, balance sheets and a five-year performance history.) Sounds perfect but I want somthing thats up to date

Not a book but a website. 'hemscott.net' has a great deal of fundamental data re UK stocks, worth a look.