Reckon I'm over the hill?

Technically Fundamental

Im 24 in April:cry::cry::cry::cry:. I been an accountant since i got an internship when i was 19, hence I have no degree but I plenty of work experience, management experience as well as several accounting qualifications. Im part qualified ACCA but Ive wanted to get into trading since I was 20. Problem is there are hardly any hedge funds in Liverpool.

I've traded on demo accounts and to be honest I do okay if I can find the time to apply myself fully - I made an imaginary 18k profit from imaginary CFD trades from 50k imaginary equity shorting FTSE tradesCFD trades in one day :sneaky: - but I need some real education. Real theory that I can apply to real life scenarios in the markets. Need more info on hedging, risk management etc etc.

I did have an interview last year with Smith Barney for a fast track position in investments to work under CEO but i never got the job. Also I never got a job with Tibra.

I was thinking of doing a CFA (which I'll have to pay for myself out of my s-itty "Im paying 2k a year for your ACCA course so you take a pay cut" accountancy salary) this year after I finish some of my ACCA exams but Im just thinking is there even any point?
You guys are all traders. In your honest opinion what do you think the odds are of me being recruited at age 26 or older if I have a CFA level 2 and ACCA? Will the ACCA count even for anything?

Well my moan is over. Gimme some feedback people.

Oh yeah If I finish the ACCA I also get a degree in applied accounting from Oxford Brooks so the no degree thing might go out the window :(

Oh yeh whats all this about needed to be proficient in C++ programming?? :S

Last edited:
Also im liking the look of your P&L on signature. Is that doctored or did you have insider info lol.

it was demo trade. no inside info.. if wannabe trader.. its probably difficult because there are too many profitable trader everywhere and hard to get job as trader too.

Ive heard that like 80 odd percent go to sons of the elite and the remaining 20 go to super whizz kids like the girl who flew to UK from china and was in my interview group at smith barney

it was demo trade. no inside info.. if wannabe trader.. its probably difficult because there are too many profitable trader everywhere and hard to get job as trader too.

Yeh I undrstand that. Thats why in the post I ask if you traders even think it's worth it. I'll prob be 26ish but the traders normally take on fresh young graduates.

Open up an account and trade. Don't quit your day job but start slow. I have been spread betting now for 2 years and while I'm making money I look at the first three years as an excersise in retaining equity. If I can build up slowly then I may make a larger investment with more time and experience. None of this comes easy and there is no quick course or easy book. Lots of time and effort.

I'm a graphic designer so if I can do it anyone can. If you are interested in my mistakes read my blogFinancial spread betting diary trading FTSE 100, S&P and Dow Jones.

I understand there will be hard work. This is the reason I wanted to get a job trading. I work overtime most days in accountancy so working 12 hr days doing what I'd like to do and getting paid for it would be no problem to me. No kids. And i'd f-ck off to any city anywhere to do it lol. No strings at all. I like the idea of packing up and getting off somewhere else.

I will start trading will real money soon but I just think that the odds of me ver getting employment in trading is quite slim. Uless I can somehow inexplicably conjure up 1m guineas join a prop or something.

Dunno. ATM I feel like its all a pipe dream I missed out on but I try live my life by never giving up on what you want. When you give up going for what you want what is there to do? Watch f-ckin Holyoaks? Not for me mate lol.

would be good to see how you do on a live account

demo accounts have little value - the motivation to place a trade is entirely different IRL

once you risk your own money, you'll soon change your mind at being a FT trader - and working for a firm? that's rubbish now as well

best advice is keep your day j.o.b and make small trades if you can with SB's - "Trading2k" is on the money

You're 23, you're not too old to do anything ffs. If you're the sort of person who hears a few people say 'Oh you can't get a job in IB/trading/fire juggling unless they offer you a position as you're coming out of the womb' and decides to pack it in, you're in the wrong place. If you want something, don't take no for an answer.

You're 23, you're not too old to do anything ffs. If you're the sort of person who hears a few people say 'Oh you can't get a job in IB/trading/fire juggling unless they offer you a position as you're coming out of the womb' and decides to pack it in, you're in the wrong place. If you want something, don't take no for an answer.

Im not taking no for an answer. still applying.

Just wanted an honest insider opinion on what my chances would be when I'm a little older. Alls i see is ill young graduates flying into these positions. I'm not givin up till i kids and im not havin rats for a good while yet. Hopefully...

(y)Also, I realised everyonerich was a bit of a tool when i asked him about CFAs and he said chartered financial advisor. No offense mate. lol

Stop talking and just do it! Take your regulations exam and Securities Exam and watch the movie Collateral. A friend of mind got in Trading at 36 and he's flying now! So what's your excuse? If you live in Liverpool I saw a company hiring for positions in Leeds. It was on TotallyFinancial, Efinancial or or cityjobs.com.

Apparently a recruitment agency have seen my profile and are putting me in for a trainee financial analyst position. I'll be off to London for my interview soon.

Hope I get it. Get a bit of exp then see if I can get into trading maybe. If I dont like it.

Also, isnt collateral the one with Tom Cruise :-S

I knwo I must seem like a moaning beerstad but alls i hear everywhere is blah blah blah oxford grad blah blah blah you cant get in unless you're straight out of uni.

I'm not having that lol