Re contract your broaband get BT Vision FREE.

Crap Buddist

Re contracted my broadband package with BT today, to option 3, 8 Meg ,total unlimited as I was on the old option 3, 2 Meg.

And not only did I get the new hub and broadband phone with optional secondary non geographic (or you can choose a second regional coding number) phone number ,free, which people can phone you on and out etc.. But as we got talking I also got the new BT vision V-BOX for free, with free installation.... just for recontracting for 12 months and paying a cheaper price than my previous option 3 package... Makes a change to get some good news out of those lot.

Anyone using that BT Vision Now ? notice you can record 80 hours with it and movies pay per view.... Also interesting to see how this market goes I mean competing further with SKY TV etc....

Any feedback with it? Its not cost me anything, just a bonus but anyone tried the on demand side ?

Cheers.

hi CB,

actually the wife works for BT, so get my broadband as a freebie.

need to find out about the other deal....err....wonder if the wife is not giving me the extra freebies i'm entitled :LOL:

j

hi CB,

actually the wife works for BT, so get my broadband as a freebie.

need to find out about the other deal....err....wonder if the wife is not giving me the extra freebies i'm entitled :LOL:

j

:) err hope your wife does'nt go cheap on you and gift wrap a new BT Vision V-Box for ya and say early xmas pressie or something.....

The only thing is ive got 3 boxes under the TV at the moment, so do not know where the 4th one will go at the moment... More cables and plugs.. whats next....

:) err hope your wife does'nt go cheap on you and gift wrap a new BT Vision V-Box for ya and say early xmas pressie or something.....

The only thing is ive got 3 boxes under the TV at the moment, so do not know where the 4th one will go at the moment... More cables and plugs.. whats next....

:LOL:

guess now she cant :cheesy:

anyway, i dont watch tv :D

I have BT 8meg option3 at Home but also Sky HD.
Hard to beat the Sky package really, despite the GBP50/month cost.
Is BT vision a real competitor or a wannabe?

I have BT 8meg option3 at Home but also Sky HD.
Hard to beat the Sky package really, despite the GBP50/month cost.
Is BT vision a real competitor or a wannabe?

Well i think BT must have the size and infrastructure in place already to slot in and offer an alternative for people over sky maybe. Not sure where they buy the content. I mean would they lease it off Sky a bit like virgin media ?

Just thought, mmm would this or is it seen as a threat to impact Sky's future earnings.

Watch this space maybe.

They've also got the branding I suppose. Price war their way in but not sure if they could or will get anywhere near the range of channels that sky offer.

http://www.btvision.bt.com/vision/index.htm

Heres the link, note they will offer films music sports kids channels etc.

Now if they can outbid Sky on future contracts as and when they pop up. Jobs a good un.

Last edited:
mmm

I think BT might be on a winner here. The range looks good http://www.btvision.bt.com/vision/entertainment.htm and the free + pay per view model may well prove an attractive option. Once they start hard marketing Sky might just feel the pinch

jon

I think they think they will be yes. They are giving me a free box worth £200 and installation. Put it this way I would consider jacking sky, if / when BT offer the range.

So its up to them to aquire like billy o , the content. Movies at £1.99 aint so bad.

POTENTIAL problems for BT.

The connection at this time requires wiring into the Broadband hub./phone line OK so tell me who has a broadband hub near the TV. ? what crackpots will have a PC and hub next to the telly ? BONKERS isnt it.

OK so they need to be careful that installation is improved or a second hub can feed off the first without cables etc.

Thats the only negative I can see with BT at the moment, when they overcome this then full steam ahead. They might not recognise it as a problem yet. But I can see it.

I'll let you know how my installation goes when it gets here. And my Hub is 40 foot from the tv room.

If your phone socket isnt near your tv. then they will install you an extension FREE of charge.

So they are shelling out to set us all up.

Last edited:
Waiting for BTVision

Hi there

I am waiting for BT Vision to come to my area. Does anyone know the time plan for BT to get full uk coverage?.
I live in Bedford. Cant wait to get rid of Sky, so much junk on there, I do not watch TV at all but my partner watches some of the older TV stuff and the odd movie and she likes the recorder on the Sky+.
I called them but all they said was NO...... I asked when will it be in my area, they said just keep checking back.
And I suppose if you already have sky and your BTVision needs hooking up to the telephone line the cable is already there, but I suppose because its broadband that cable might not work in the same way, connecting up wise.

I will be waiting.........So if anyone has found out a timeline for the Bedford area that would be great to let me know, or a link to where I can find out as cant find one.

Thanks.

Hi there

I am waiting for BT Vision to come to my area. Does anyone know the time plan for BT to get full uk coverage?.
I live in Bedford. Cant wait to get rid of Sky, so much junk on there, I do not watch TV at all but my partner watches some of the older TV stuff and the odd movie and she likes the recorder on the Sky+.
I called them but all they said was NO...... I asked when will it be in my area, they said just keep checking back.
And I suppose if you already have sky and your BTVision needs hooking up to the telephone line the cable is already there, but I suppose because its broadband that cable might not work in the same way, connecting up wise.

I will be waiting.........So if anyone has found out a timeline for the Bedford area that would be great to let me know, or a link to where I can find out as cant find one.

Thanks.

Hi, if your phone line and your local phone exchange has upgraded in the last year or so, you should be able to accept speeds upto 8 megs down your phone line.

Next, although you may receive 8 megs some areas still cannot get digital TV signals yet. Anyone got freeview in your area?

Further even though you may not get digital free view yet, you can still use the V-Box from bt to download films etc to watch.

And if you can get it for free via recontracting your broaband package, get the buggers to install it anyway. Then you can watch the odd movie and be ready for when your area gets free view digital wghich hopefully shouldnt be too long.

Cheers B.T.

Update, Btvision installed today, have not had chance to look at content, but picture quality is pin sharp, BT engineer supplied a free wirless connection for one of my PC's too... so no complaints, as it was all free anyway.... I thought a few years back people will be downloading TV content on demand via the net, and here it is....... whats next. ?

rock on.

Hi, if your phone line and your local phone exchange has upgraded in the last year or so, you should be able to accept speeds upto 8 megs down your phone line.

Next, although you may receive 8 megs some areas still cannot get digital TV signals yet. Anyone got freeview in your area?

Further even though you may not get digital free view yet, you can still use the V-Box from bt to download films etc to watch.

And if you can get it for free via recontracting your broaband package, get the buggers to install it anyway. Then you can watch the odd movie and be ready for when your area gets free view digital wghich hopefully shouldnt be too long.

update
edit, on demand also covers (not just movies) old shows ,modern shows, dramas, etc scifi, crime ,nature. etc.etc. 0.99p.

Sounds like an interesting setup.
Not sure if you are aware but sky has been "running anytime" from internet for some time now.
http://anytime.sky.com/
not sure if it's the same idea.

Cheers rogue, yeah weve got the anytime , thats pretty much a download to pc n play, this BT on demand is click it and it plays realtime on the TV. Much the Much I guess, but when BT , or if they do bid for contracts looking ahead a few years, might pinch a chunk of SKY tv viewers...... few years off yet maybe..

Cheers rogue, yeah weve got the anytime , thats pretty much a download to pc n play, this BT on demand is click it and it plays realtime on the TV. Much the Much I guess, but when BT , or if they do bid for contracts looking ahead a few years, might pinch a chunk of SKY tv viewers...... few years off yet maybe..

Ah right I got you, Sky+ has that too on the tv, not a huge selection as yet, but it is there, good for the odd movie.

but when BT , or if they do bid for contracts looking ahead a few years, might pinch a chunk of SKY tv viewers...... few years off yet maybe..
I sincerely hope they do, inject a bit of healthy competition into the space, I think Sky have got far too much leeway at the moment.

Ah right I got you, Sky+ has that too on the tv, not a huge selection as yet, but it is there, good for the odd movie.

mmm, yeah, Thinking about it, BT must be shelling out a £200 or so a pop, to set up customers with this free kit, they must be expecting a return, I wouldnt like to pen stroke that go ahead. maybe it will only cost them a couple hundred millions. :)

see what happens with it I guess ,weve still got sky at the mo, so dont know how much we'll be using the BT Vision....

mmm, yeah, Thinking about it, BT must be shelling out a £200 or so a pop, to set up customers with this free kit, they must be expecting a return, I wouldnt like to pen stroke that go ahead. maybe it will only cost them a couple hundred millions. :)

see what happens with it I guess ,weve still got sky at the mo, so dont know how much we'll be using the BT Vision....

Yeah one wonders what it's really worth though, if it's like Sky's + box it's only really a decoder and a little hard drive, can't be worth that much, so if sourcing them at cost, they prolly not giving that much away.

Yeah one wonders what it's really worth though, if it's like Sky's + box it's only really a decoder and a little hard drive, can't be worth that much, so if sourcing them at cost, they prolly not giving that much away.

yeah I did think about it, but also thought of engineers time, vehicles, he was here nearly 4 hours, gave away a wirless adapter , they will install phone extensions for free too etc....... must be a few pennies.....

ohh yeah plus the free home hub, and free broadband phone too, plus the non geographic secondary phone number..... ... maybe thats the norm, but seemed a good deal just for signing up a further 12 months.....

Last edited:
CB, what's your experience been with BT's broadband service? I will be moving in a few months and changing provider, started out with Freeserve a few years back and gotpassed thru Wanadoo and on to Orange, which is pretty mediocre, so will likely not stay with them (customer suppt is attrocious)