Question

Uncle

Established member
Can anyone advise the official closing price for the Dow daily on Friday last, i e after hours trading.????

Martin

Many thanks for that. Hope you have had a good day today thus far (timed at 17:00)

John

Chartman

Re your quote ' Sadly , I get little time to trade nowadays... '

I have come to the conclusion that very, very few people can make DECENT money trading, particularly day and short term trading.

The more I read the threads, the more convinced I am of this.

While I understand the traders who regularly train say they enjoy traing and it is a change from trading, I suggest that if DECENT money could consistently be made, they would NOT train so often for just a few hundred quid a day.

I know from many previous threads that you are well respected for your trading knowledge, but I believe that if you were able to make DECENT money on a consistent basis, you would not sadly be unable to find time to trade, but would find the time, particularly as you have time to view and post on this site during trading hours.

I'm not critiscizing, just airing my belief, and not just because I admit I couldn't make DECENT money trading myself.

I think this is a great site, with very interesting posts, but I believe most are in hope. The proffessional traders who make the big money would not, I believe, join us in a forum.

Pete

pete30 said:
The proffessional traders who make the big money would not, I believe, join us in a forum.
Ocasionally they do, both here and elsewhere, but disappointingly they don't stay around for long, mostly because a very small minority of the members offend them with aggressive, cynical, opinionated and ill-informed posts. It's not difficult to envisage that they think "Why the hell should I bother?"

Pete 30

Have you ever thought that because a person might "have little time to trade" there are other factors that can have a influence on their time. Be it work, or maybe leisure, or many other interests that they might have.

I was once a regular contributer to this site, but having developed other interests which take time, I too do not have time either to trade on a regular basis or to make a contribution to the site, for the benefit of many who have derived both knowledge and skill from the many posts over the years from its inception.

Whilst I might agree that most people dont make it trading for a living, there are still very many who like to keep their eye on the ball, and perhaps one day WILL trade for a living.

I have known Chartman from the forerunner to this site, and I know he CAN make money trading, but think about what I have said above. The man does have a successful business other than trading the stock markets.

I do hope this clears your misconception, for your inference, whilst general in terms, implies the individual does not have the skill or knowledge to succeed.

With best wishes, and do keep posting please, for the developers of this site have given their all to developing it to the success it now enjoys, both among the professionals and amateurs alike.

John

John

Thanks for your comments on my post.

I am sorry if my wording in any way implied any doubt about Chartman's abilities.

I think that he and many others have learnt and developed trading skills that enable them to trade with competency.

It's the nature of the market ( its unpredictably, demonstrated by the fact that systems can work for a period of time but seem to fail later) that stops most traders consistently making good money.

Over the last few years we have seen several systems posted that have caused excitement but after detailed examination show that they are not robust enough and dissappear from sight.

I take my hat off to those who devised and tested these systems and would have been delighted to see them succeed - but once again, the nature of the market seems to frustrate attempts to devise a consistent and profitable system.

That doesn't mean we should give up, and doesn't mean we should not continue to enjoy the whole subject.

I wish success to all traders.

Pete

pete30 said:
Over the last few years we have seen several systems posted that have caused excitement but after detailed examination show that they are not robust enough and dissappear from sight.

I take my hat off to those who devised and tested these systems and would have been delighted to see them succeed - but once again, the nature of the market seems to frustrate attempts to devise a consistent and profitable system.

That doesn't mean we should give up, and doesn't mean we should not continue to enjoy the whole subject.

I wish success to all traders.

Pete

It is my humble opinion that no system can survive both the test of time and publicity, that is the nature of the markets. The market would not be the market if it allowed consistant predictability. Does this mean that you waste time trying to develop systems that profit on particular market quirks? Not at all, but you must now that as a particular quirk becomes public knowledge the market will move to expoit that knowledge thereby rendering the system ineffective and you move on to the next one. The only way to survive is to consistantly be looking for new quirks to replace the ones that become too well known.

There are a few pros on these boards. Who make money. Not me though.