Question About Lossing Money while on Margin

Eager2Learn

9 0
I am a day trader.

So let's say I open an account with $30,000 and have a 4:1 Margin. This means I have a total buying power of $120,000.

If I buy 1000 shares of a stock at $60, and it drops to $59/share, and I sell, I would have lost $1000.

Now my question is:
1) Does that $1000 come out of my "cash account"? i.e. I will a $29,000 left?
2) Will my total buying power with the 4:1 be $116,000?

Last edited:

paszkman

Established member
649 54
I am a day trader.

So let's say I open an account with $30,000 and have a 4:1 Margin. This means I have a total buying power of $120,000.

If I buy 1000 shares of a stock at $60, and it drops to $59/share, and I sell, I would have lost $1000.

Now my question is:
1) Does that $1000 come out of my "cash account"? i.e. I will a $29,000 left?
2) Will my total buying power with the 4:1 be $116,000?

1) Yes
2) Yes

Last edited:

paszkman

Established member
649 54
Then what is all the fuss? Why are people terrified of highly leveraged accounts?

It is a bit early in the morning for me so i may have got this wrong, but you would have lost 1k on 15k margin. Doesnt look so bad @ 4:1 but if margin is 100:1 you can see how dangerous it can get.

Eager2Learn

9 0
It is a bit early in the morning for me so i may have got this wrong, but you would have lost 1k on 15k margin. Doesnt look so bad @ 4:1 but if margin is 100:1 you can see how dangerous it can get.
I just want to make sure I am not missing anything. Margin is basically just more buying power? There aren't some weird multipliers or anything right? It just means that I would have funded my account with $10,000, but with 20:1 I have $200,000 buying power.

The issue rises when people don't control their losses? If I invest 1000 shares in a stock that drops $1, I would have lost $1000. Exactly $1000 is removed from my cash leaving me with $9000. Correct?

smart_trader

2 0
Using a bad money management is the problem with margin.

Let's say you bought a stock and it dropped , but you still think that i'll go up , so you buy more shares (average down) and keep doing that every time it goes down. They call it ( Hold and hope). That's the most dangerous thing margin traders can do. It's the end of their trading life.

Margin is a very good tool for a day trader but stay cool and cut your losses once you don't feel good about the trade.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock