Quants.....are they responsible for Credit Crunch..!

Quants.....are they responsible for Credit Crunch..!

...read on....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7109805.stm

Are these 'mathematical model trading' going to create an even bigger mess next time....?

In my view the quants are trying to produce algorithms that respond to what happens, not to cause it to happen. All they do is to increase volty and liquidity, both of which are desireable market features for trading purposes.

The real reason for the credit crunch is the vast worldwide accumulation of debt caused by the fiat money system, which allows banks to endlessly print money with no underlying value (e.g. Gold) and then lend it out. This has been going on for many years and the banks have enjoyed massive profits from it. But when they start lending to risky borrowers then the pendulum has swung too far.
When people can't pay loans back because interest rates have risen too far or because the borrowers were persuaded by the lenders into borrowing more than they could afford, then "we have a problem Houston".

Blaming the quants is just scapegoating imho.

Glenn

In my view the quants are trying to produce algorithms that respond to what happens, not to cause it to happen. All they do is to increase volty and liquidity, both of which are desireable market features for trading purposes.

The real reason for the credit crunch is the vast worldwide accumulation of debt caused by the fiat money system, which allows banks to endlessly print money with no underlying value (e.g. Gold) and then lend it out. This has been going on for many years and the banks have enjoyed massive profits from it. But when they start lending to risky borrowers then the pendulum has swung too far.
When people can't pay loans back because interest rates have risen too far or because the borrowers were persuaded by the lenders into borrowing more than they could afford, then "we have a problem Houston".

Blaming the quants is just scapegoating imho.

Glenn
you are 100% correct Glen ,,,

grey1

I agree with Glenn.

The sole cause of the present credit crunch and all prior booms and busts is privatised credit creation by the banks. This credit creation process is essentially an unstable ponzi pyramid scheme.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9050474362583451279
Paul Grignon's 47-minute animated presentation of "Money as Debt" tells in very simple and effective graphic terms what money is and how it is being created.

Can I recommend the author Nicholas Taleb here? His books explain perfectly why the quants get it right for so long before blowing up.

The credit crunch resulted from too many chasing ever decreasing yields. Greater yields could only be realised by assuming greater risk (eg default).

A repackaging for a few points over treasuries in such an environment was a massive earner for the originators, underwriters, brokers, fund managers, etc. It's just a re-run of the junk bond debacle of the 80's.

I reckon it's a simple function of supply and demand.

Arabianights,

What profound insight does Taleb offer?

Grant.

If all algoritmic trading are using the same timeframe, then perhaps yes.

Dont think algoritmic trading is influencing the macro economic market, since its present in all timeframes. Algorithmic trading adds more volumen to the markets, and add volatility in the short timeframes.

You could argue for, that the higher volumen drives the prices up in a unrealistic level, causing the market to make small "crashes" instead of a lasy correction.

If these Quant chaps are getting the blame for the credit crunch then they [quants] must be right then.

Didn't they try and pin the blame for the Wall Street Crash on Livermore ?

dd