Pyramiding

I like to try to pyramid really early.

I will enter two trades with half of the risk on each and get one in even and one trailed up to reduce risk, then add to it. My anlaysis is usually based on 1 hour and I am entering on 15 minutes or 5 minutes and this can be done sometimes when price moves up just 5 pips (price action and SR are considered).

I know what your thinking ... whipsaw!

Yes.

This does whipsaw a lot. I will usually wait for a few retests of an area before I move my stops up. When there has been a breakout its common to see the price dwindle along sideways touching your enter point, going a bit into profit and then coming back to touch it again. There is a fine line between letting it retest a few times and missing the breakout. I tread that line.

I usually am looking to do this at an area where I think a correction is ending and the trend resuming. "C" points on Elliot corrections are a favorite. The idea is either you have the momentum of a new impulse leg starting and this will be likely to allow for you getting into breakeven easier and being able to add more lots.

At no point will risk ever exceed the initial risk allocation to the position, that risk level will be maintained or reduced but never increased.

When I feel I am on to a good one and want to add, based on price action and SR I will see if it is possible to enter with 5-7 pips stops, to keep the risk level I would pull up one of the original stop losses the number of pips I had in risk on the new trade.

MANY trades will hit a breakeven stop since stop losses on new risk are trailed as fast as possible, even if it "feels" like we will just retest and have a strong move, stops are trailed on new risk and I try not to lament on the ones that got away.

The aim of this strategy is to get really loaded into a position for very low risk of initial capital (although since positive equity is lost, there is draw down) then go for big targets with stops trailed in different ways.

Fast EMA crosses are good to use along with this for adding to positions and a certainly useful for staying in the trend.

This of course has a low success rate in terms of how many times it happens just as I would like it and me even getting 1:3 RR and the times I get more than that are a far smaller percentage.

Most of it is made up of frustratingly being taken out of the trade just before it boomed and stray wicks become your worst enemy.

If I could get successfully fully loaded I would have 5% gain potential per number of pips in stop loss. Stops are never more than 50 pips and usually more in the 25 region and 100 pips in the current market conditions can come (or go) very quickly so a fully loaded 100+ trade would be around 1/5 of the account increased (- spreads and fees). This is the jackpot scenario.

There are quite a lot of small wins. Breakeven if afterall breaking even and if you break even on enough positions you actually made a bit. Some trades will always have their stop trailing just under the previous candles H/L and be taken out the trade for a small profit (10-15 pips) and these about counter out the losses I have keeping the equity floating in small range (sometimes a bit bearish) and allowing me to keep taking shots for a jackpot trade.

This style will not be for many people since it is bloody annoying getting whipsawed so many times or they end up in the profitable trade but they are in worse positions (if the original trades hit breakeven stops and the added ones never hit their stop) and it feels like you are constantly giving up profits made (and you are) trying to load a position.

If you like price action you should try it though, on demo of course. I've noticed people flake out on this a bit live trading and the few that have got good at it opened a micro account and traded with sums of money they did not care about. It is not as bad watching $2 in profit turn into a $1 loss as it is watching $200 into $100 and this helped them to focus more on trying to just keep the account covering its losses with its small wins and scores of breakevens enough so you keep you bankrolled to use that $ value of risk you could allocate because you want the "One" to able to have as much risk on it as possible.

Sometimes all it takes it one big candle clearing you entering zone by 10 pips to let you have all stop losses in even, be running at 2.5x risk up per each pip gained and price never comes back to touch that area - this, would be catching the end of the reversal.

Getting stopped out on a doube bottom and not getting back in is the times most people jack this in.

For me, this works well. I use smaller timeframes but I am sure the same principles would work as good as, or better than, on larger timeframes.

Last edited:
ac4f2c346766c80336d19b9e90ea8926.png

Nice Thread,

I like pyramid too. But there are certain conditions for it. In my case, pyramid works best in trendy market with less correction. As i trade intra day, once i made 90 pips out of a 50 pips movement with 3 positions. Choppy market are worst place for adding position. I add position only when my 1st trade got trailed, i do safe pyramiding. If my 1st trade trailed for 30 pips, then i add 2nd position risking 20 pips. This way no matter what happens, if both trade hit SL, i will still have 10 pips profit.

Regards
S

I understand your approach 5SS, and its clear you're pyramiding in this way on a regular basis to get the clarity and data you kindly posted. Yes, I have also found it very annoying to be whipped out of my original profit at b/e and incurring an equal loss on the pyramid, but the possibility of a jackpot tarde as you put it keeps me looking at this: must be the most rational way to ramp up r:r to a potentially 'silly' level.

Thanks sun11. I am purely a trend-follower these days so these conditions are where I would be trading as well. I see what you say about the 2nd position having a tighter stop so you always get some profit, but of course that makes it more likely your stop will be hit.

Glad you're doing well, though I am thinking of using the same risk level on the 2nd position so that worse case scenario I will break even only but position should stay alive with possibility of a jackpot trade as 5SS puts it.

I only use pyramiding when I want to be nimble in the market.

For instance if I want to get into the market but I do not want to risk a full position I may use 1/3 rd whilst I wait for further confirmation of the trend continuation.

Should this play out and price moves in favour I will look to add to the position, usually at a pull back to a wave count.

I will add to the position until I have risked what I am comfortable with.

Pyramiding sounds easy because most text books just say to add to the position as the trade moves in favour. The most important part is managing the risk on the trade.

Once in a trade it is very hard to predict how exactly it will pan out, hence why traders find it difficult knowing exactly when and where to add to their position.

For this reason I focus heavily on Money Management especially once in a trade. I may lock in profit so I can then risk more on the next position I add, stay light if the trade is stalling etc.

Pyramiding is powerful but too risky. I know that many wizards used it in the past. But it is easy to get wiped out if something goes wrong. Many EURCHF traders got wiped out because of pyramiding.

Can't find much mention of people pyramiding winning positions, I confess I usually overlook these opportunities, usually only too glad to get out with the profit initially targeted.

But surely, if you can pyramid but don't, aren't you giving away free money?

Maybe we can share experiences -

* How big was your best pyramid, i.e. how many times your original risk capital?

* What are your best pyramid signals?

* How many times do you pyramid a successful position?

* If you're doing this successfully, what's your timeframe?

Ive already hinted (in fact been quite explicit in some) at what I do in several threads, but i can at least answer these questions

Short Form:
1. in the order of 22000% of my risk
2. Trade away from a line, use the continuation pattern to add, or the reversal pattern to bail.
3. depends on how many continuation patterns i get before i get where im going.
4. planning? monthly. execution? dailyish.

Theres a bit more to it than this, the first answer is calculated as if the worst possible thing that could happen did (ie i lost the ability to close the trade before the stoploss order is hit 500 or so pips from entry via some carrington-like event). Under normal conditions the answer to 1. is not the kind of answer i like to put on trading forums.

I also dont tend to extrapolate, or show a full trade sequence (pyramid), because the final answers are so far from what most traders consider possible.

However, its this kind of methodology that means one can be "wrong" 98% of the time and still make money, since the first add normalises (real) risk to pretty much zero.

As I explained in another thread I started, pyramiding (to use your term) works for the exact same reasons that doubling down on a losing trade doesnt.

(unfortunateley this forum doesnt have spoiler tags, so apologies for the long following quote)

First a quick overview of the average down process:
1. bad trade
2. add hoping for a return to b/e
3. sometimes price runs and you get spanked

Does anyone see from this the bright side yet??
Probably not, since ive obfuscated via context.

1. good trade
2. add and normalize risk
3. sometimes price runs and you do the spanking

from HERE

G.

Pyramiding is powerful but too risky. I know that many wizards used it in the past. But it is easy to get wiped out if something goes wrong. Many EURCHF traders got wiped out because of pyramiding.

Incorrect. the CHF traders got killed because they took the SNB at their word of having a price floor. As soon as the SNB removed the floor the CHF was allowed to move to its actual price.

A classic (and beautiful) example of market failure caused by a policy of interference from Economics 101.

B.