Purchasing International Shares

noob1990

Hi Guys,

I was thinking of purchasing shares in Asia (i live in Australia) and was thinking about the tax consequence (CGT etc) of purchasing international shares.

If i wanted to get more information on taxation rates and whether my country has a tax treaty with the country i would like to purchase shares and get a general idea of taxation (for example China) where would i get this information?

I have been trying to do some google searches but had no luck in regards to finding taxation on shares in China.

Any help/suggestion would be much appreciated! Thanks

Hi Guys,

I was thinking of purchasing shares in Asia (i live in Australia) and was thinking about the tax consequence (CGT etc) of purchasing international shares.

If i wanted to get more information on taxation rates and whether my country has a tax treaty with the country i would like to purchase shares and get a general idea of taxation (for example China) where would i get this information?

I have been trying to do some google searches but had no luck in regards to finding taxation on shares in China.

Any help/suggestion would be much appreciated! Thanks

It doesn't matter which market you purchased the shares from Asian, European etc. You are taxed based on YOUR country's rules on CGT, not theirs.

It doesn't matter which market you purchased the shares from Asian, European etc. You are taxed based on YOUR country's rules on CGT, not theirs.

So if someone from HK where it was CGT free, invested in US/UK stocks for example, would it be free from CGT still?

So if someone from HK where it was CGT free, invested in US/UK stocks for example, would it be free from CGT still?

It doesn't matter what stocks you purchase. so yes, if HK are CGT free, then he or she would not pay CGT.
Can you imagine the tax nightmare every person would have to go through..If I buy Apple shares, I would have to think what the prevailing rate was at the time in the US, on top of that what the prevailing tax rate was from the indian shares, and then the german all with different tax exemptions, rates etc when Im sending in my personal tax computation?