prospreads.com

Do you actually have the figures about why they closed the position? You say your stop was within limits - what do they say about that?

I have to say, I've had a couple of problems with them in the past, I've called them up, and the issue has been resolved quickly, sometimes financially.

IMHO, the time to post here is when the situation hasn't been resolved to satisfaction. If I was a broker I'd be a bit annoyed if it was here for all to see before I'd even had a chance to resolve. Your call, of course, just being practical...

Do you actually have the figures about why they closed the position? You say your stop was within limits - what do they say about that?

I have to say, I've had a couple of problems with them in the past, I've called them up, and the issue has been resolved quickly, sometimes financially.

IMHO, the time to post here is when the situation hasn't been resolved to satisfaction. If I was a broker I'd be a bit annoyed if it was here for all to see before I'd even had a chance to resolve. Your call, of course, just being practical...

Im pleased that you are a happy camper, I hope the same never happens to you.

Prospreads did make an offer to solve the complaint, it was however not to my satisfaction, I did post after they stated their case, I did however offer them a chance to formally respond. This forum is used as a sound board for potential SB customers to decide what company to use to conduct their trades, it is also a place to discuss SB companies given the name of the forum section. I have earned the right to offer my thoughts solicited or not on my experience as I was a customer who paid them money.

Perhaps users of this forum who do not feel valued as a customer or who have had a bad experience should do the same. IMHO Prospreads should welcome feedback and not get "a bit annoyed" with it, otherwise how do they improve either the service, margin rules and platform systems to the end user.

Most unhappy customers close accounts and walk away without comment. It happens in all retail sectors. If companies such as Prospreads dont listen then they will continue having to spend increasing sums of money to attract new customers instead of looking after the ones they already have.

Dashing - Im guessing you were or are a broker? I also take your comments in good faith and that you are not having a pop!

Yup, private client equity options (the old LTOM) for 2 stockbrokers 1985 - 89. (then did my time on LIFFE, then . . . blah blah . . . you get the picture)

Genuinely not having a pop, meant in genuine good faith.

Not much else to say really, but bear in mind what a "stop" actually is.

A sell stop at (say) 2000 (ie you're long and the market's at (say) 2025) really means "if 2000 trades (even in a 1 lot) then sell at market".

Not familiar with the emini's (I only do bunds these days) but (and forgetting about the size for a moment) I could see a broker getting nervous if the contract was wanging around a bit, you were trading close to some figures, you were trading in a thin market etc.

I did post after they stated their case

My mistake then. When you said "I have emailed Simon Brown to see what he thinks" and hadn't posted anything about their position, I just assumed you were posting here first.

Of course you're entitled to sound off here first. That's what I meant by 'your call'. What I meant by 'just being practical' is that if you had posted here first, and the relationship or resolution had soured as a result, you might have left ProSpreads when that hadn't actually been your ideal outcome.

Of course, we still can't tell whether what they did was reasonable, since we still don't know their position.

My mistake then. When you said "I have emailed Simon Brown to see what he thinks" and hadn't posted anything about their position, I just assumed you were posting here first.

Of course you're entitled to sound off here first. That's what I meant by 'your call'. What I meant by 'just being practical' is that if you had posted here first, and the relationship or resolution had soured as a result, you might have left ProSpreads when that hadn't actually been your ideal outcome.

Of course, we still can't tell whether what they did was reasonable, since we still don't know their position.

Xemo

I liked prospreads, they suited me Great personable support staff etc, I was happy to pay the extra fees (they are very expensive) to get the extra support when needed. I wanted them to do the right thing and they didn't.

I emailed Simon hopeing for a reasonable resolution, he hasnt replied, instead he got one of the support staff to call me. Perhaps he will reply but my guess is probably not. As I say £3k per month fees is probably small corn to them so I was probably hopeing against the odds.

Sorry if my reply to you came accross snappy, it wasnt intentional.

Xemo

I liked prospreads, they suited me Great personable support staff etc, I was happy to pay the extra fees (they are very expensive) to get the extra support when needed. I wanted them to do the right thing and they didn't.

I emailed Simon hopeing for a reasonable resolution, he hasnt replied, instead he got one of the support staff to call me. Perhaps he will reply but my guess is probably not. As I say £3k per month fees is probably small corn to them so I was probably hopeing against the odds.

Sorry if my reply to you came accross snappy, it wasnt intentional.
Hi bsmart,
Have you ever consider that there is a deeper insight that your experience might be pointing to. There is another thread re: Prospreads at which there has been a useful posting, especially in regards of DMA, and internal hedging at Pro. They have had a chance on that thread to clear the issue, they have not done so. I have observed that with some SB companies it is not a great idea to be very profitable, they might slow your execution or do other things to discarrage you to take "their funds" from the internal hedging pond, and if one is well profitable the fees earned by spreads of your trades are of no cosequence especially in relation to the grabbed profits, which some Market Makers view as their loss. There is nothing new and unusual under the Sun.
Trading platforms which only offer DMA care for all their clients as their only income comes from the commissions gained by charging spreads. Other platforms with different degree of mixture of different hedging practices have different considerations to take into account.
Trade using DMA does not need to be hedged, every trade one makes is passed to the market, but this might not be the case when the platform is invlolved in hedging, first there is an in internal hedging, then there is external hedging, and so on, and there are also Market Makers. All of this is good and ok, providing that the given platform is allowing profitable traders to continue to trade.
GFT has good spreads for the indexes, especially during the pit time, without the complications of different margin requirements at Pro. IG is reasonable too, and so is CMC.
Many good trades to you, and do not worry too much about the Pro, after all you might still reconsider and return to them, especially if they were unstrumental in making good profits. Saying all the above their execution is fast, and that is always an important factor, more impotant then a little difference in applayed spreads. Whichever platform is used I would advise to have a very large reserves in order to avoid the margin calls.

"I liked prospreads, they suited me Great personable support staff etc, I was happy to pay the extra fees (they are very expensive) to get the extra support when needed. I wanted them to do the right thing and they didn't."

Am I missing something here as I use PS for FTSE and their Spread is .50 either side of the market spread. So a total 1.5 point spread, reducing to 1 points after 100 round trips. When I was using IG there FTSE spreads was upto 4 points and not DMA, so why do you call PS expensive?
Also I fail to see how you have paid them £3k in fees on 300 lots.
300 lots X .50 X 10 = £1500 I am confused??

"I liked prospreads, they suited me Great personable support staff etc, I was happy to pay the extra fees (they are very expensive) to get the extra support when needed. I wanted them to do the right thing and they didn't."

Am I missing something here as I use PS for FTSE and their Spread is .50 either side of the market spread. So a total 1.5 point spread, reducing to 1 points after 100 round trips. When I was using IG there FTSE spreads was upto 4 points and not DMA, so why do you call PS expensive?
Also I fail to see how you have paid them £3k in fees on 300 lots.
300 lots X .50 X 10 = £1500 I am confused??

riogordo
It seems to me that the whole truth is not being given here, especially when their own maths dont add up.I am sure PS would like to disclose the whole truth but cant or wont discuss individual client details.
By the way Riogordo just to point out that if bsmart says he traded 300 lots actually the fee's would be less.
200 lots x .5 x 10 = £1000
100 lots x .25 x 10 = £250

For bsmart to be paying fee's of £3000 , it would equate to 800 lots a month...MM!!

Pit pony - I noticed that your post history is all about defending and promoting prospreads, In fact thats all you seem to post about. Are you are from prospreads or just a bookie groupie? I encourage users to view you post history, you must be on commission.

The "0-200 Spread: This is the fixed spread charge that is "added" to the underlying market spread to produce the ProSpreads spread bet price" it is misleading as the real figure is double what this table says. So to compare with other SB's you would need to compare apples with apples. It should also be noted if you want to hold a position overnight there are issues, i.e. if close the platform, your stops and OCO orders can sometimes be cancelled, especially on FX. The margins are high as Prospreads are not a 24 hour operation, so only really effective for daytraders (and thats how they want it).

Secondly my 300 lots is actually an estimate - all I know is the fees I have paid to trade. Prospreads is expensive compared to the market, they offer no charts or tools, these all add up, and until recenly I was happy to pay the additional fees for the privelade.

I also challange the fact that Prospreads is a true DMA - its not, it may "reflect" DMA with quotes, they even say this if you examine their litriture, its referred to as a DMA like system, they dont offer requotes and their platform is usually stable.

I chose Prospreads as they offered something diffrent, no requotes and their platform is usually stable and is especially good for sub 5 min scalping (IMHO), I would still be using them today if not for their poor judgement.

I have always insisted they were within their rights to do what they did according to their T&C's and that I was in no way scammed or conned. But in the same context they could pull a winning trade and be proteded with T&C's. My point is over principle, they did not do the right thing and have lost a customer.

Good luck Pit Pony aka Prospreads Groupie

Pitpony,

Just checked out what Bsmart21 said about looking at your posts.

All you have done was bang on about Futuresbetting and Capital Spreads
and now Prospreads who are all now owned by LCH Group if ive got the name
right. And arnt Prospreads in Gibraltar where your flag of country shows.

Have a look fella's this guy is an insider or a plant :p

Ged

Last edited:
Pitpony,

Just checked out what Bsmart21 said about looking at your posts.

All you have done was bang on about Futuresbetting and Capital Spreads
and now Prospreads who are all now owned by LCH Group if ive got the name
right. And arnt Prospreads in Gibraltar where your flag of country shows.

Have a look fella's this guy is an insider or a plant :p

Ged

no flies on you bud...;)

. . .
The "0-200 Spread: This is the fixed spread charge that is "added" to the underlying market spread to produce the ProSpreads spread bet price" it is misleading as the real figure is double what this table says. . . .
No it's not "double what this table say". No Idea where you come up with that claim. I have personally benchmarked their platform against both Bloomberg and Reuters real-time feeds (me at home on the phone to a work-collegue). For exchange traded futures you see the market.
. . .
The margins are high as Prospreads are not a 24 hour operation, so only really effective for daytraders (and thats how they want it).
The margins reflect the underlying minimum margin as detremined by the relevent exchange. Intra-day margin is always lower than overnight
Prospreads is expensive compared to the market, they offer no charts or tools . . .
Their trading platform is free. Dunno about you but if I want a trading platform then I go to a broker, if I want a charting package then I'll go to a charting package provider.
. . . these all add up, and until recenly I was happy to pay the additional fees for the privelade.
In round numbers you pay a tick per round trip where the price is based, as I said, on the actual price in the market NOT the market priced skewed by positions held by other clients and widened a bit.
I also challange the fact that Prospreads is a true DMA - its not, it may "reflect" DMA with quotes, they even say this if you examine their litriture, its referred to as a DMA like system, . . .
To connect directly to an exchange, any brokerage/prop-shop effectively possesses a finite number of connection sockets.
I would imaging that Pro Spreads allocate a certain number of sockets to each product. Sometimes you will be the only client attempting to buy (say) the Bund at (say) 121.15 in that case (guestimating here from observed behavior of the platform) you will have true DMA. If however, I join the bid queue at 121.15, the contract trades a bit at that price (ie I'm nearer to a fill) and then another client joins at this price, my order will join the second guy at the back of the queue assuming that there isn't a spare socket. (Note that Eurex bund operates on a FIFO model)
. . .
they dont offer requotes . . .
Because you're seeing the underlying market

When you trade FX with PS the non 24 hour issue is a pain, and if like me you like to trade or hold overnight (Im UK based) you need to Hope and pray you dont loose connection as Prospreads closes your OCO and Limit ordrs / stops if you close the platform or loose connection. You cant trade positions like that period.

As for the Tables showing spreads, what I meant was the spread table on the Prspreads web site:
http://www.prospreads.com/spreads_market_info.html

When it was futuresbetting they stated it was DMA now under new ownership they State DMA like Functionality, a subtle diffrence, I not bothered about this actually, I liked there DOM, remember my original beef was about being closed out of my position 3 handles before my stop "within my margin limits", and not having it put right.

Interestingly I did notice that I never or very rareley got a fill on a limit order or limit stop order until the market went past my entry, presumambly this was to ensure that the additional spread added by prospreads was accounted for.

It really is a shame about all this as I did enjoy using the platform for scalps, over the last day or so I have opened an account with a US broker, interesting to see how the tax situation works out, Im sure as its based on Income rather than only trades it may be cheaper but thats for me to find out.

Im going to keep my FX with IG for now.

Thanks for the comments Dashing

When you trade FX with PS the non 24 hour issue is a pain, and if like me you like to trade or hold overnight (Im UK based) you need to Hope and pray you dont loose connection as Prospreads closes your OCO and Limit ordrs / stops if you close the platform or loose connection. You cant trade positions like that period.
Nothing to disagree with there.
As for the Tables showing spreads, what I meant was the spread table on the Prspreads web site:
http://www.prospreads.com/spreads_market_info.html
?? Table says 0.5 tick for the bund = 1 tick per round trip. seems strightforward to me
Interestingly I did notice that I never or very rareley got a fill on a limit order or limit stop order until the market went past my entry, presumambly this was to ensure that the additional spread added by prospreads was accounted for.
Hmmm, if you're talking about exchange traded futures then I've explained how that can happen. If you're talking about Fx then, as it is an OTC market, I don't really see how a DOM can work anyway.
Thanks for the comments Dashing
NP, again, not having a pop.

Yes, that was very annoying. I think there's a way round it for stops though. I think you can put your stops in Good Til Date (GTD)

I don't think that's the reason. The market knows nothing about their spread. If you got filled at your limit price, they just add the spread on in the accounting. I think.

It really is a shame about all this as I did enjoy using the platform for scalps, over the last day or so I have opened an account with a US broker, interesting to see how the tax situation works out, Im sure as its based on Income rather than only trades it may be cheaper but thats for me to find out.

I think regardless of the US angle, HMRC here will just class your trading income as either income or capital gains. I think the very rough rule is that if it's your main income and you do well it'll be income, otherwise capital gains. However, you can always get a letter from them at the start of the year saying what they'll class it as. Tricky one for them since they don't know how well you'll do. I'm sure someone else has more experience with this (and undoubtedly it's all over t2w somewhere)

Yes, that was very annoying. I think there's a way round it for stops though. I think you can put your stops in Good Til Date (GTD)

I don't think that's the reason. The market knows nothing about their spread. If you got filled at your limit price, they just add the spread on in the accounting. I think.

I think regardless of the US angle, HMRC here will just class your trading income as either income or capital gains. I think the very rough rule is that if it's your main income and you do well it'll be income, otherwise capital gains. However, you can always get a letter from them at the start of the year saying what they'll class it as. Tricky one for them since they don't know how well you'll do. I'm sure someone else has more experience with this (and undoubtedly it's all over t2w somewhere)

Thanks Xeno -

When it was futuresbetting they stated it was DMA now under new ownership they State DMA like Functionality, a subtle diffrence, I not bothered about this actually, I liked there DOM, remember my original beef was about being closed out of my position 3 handles before my stop "within my margin limits", and not having it put right.

Agree with what you say. FuturesB used to make a big thing about how their system was unique in automatically hedging in the real market. As relaunched under LCG as ProSpreads, the model seemed to have changed, although the info given was carefully worded to imply/mislead that it was the same.

With internal or 'strategic' hedging, they're just like any other SB provider, and can fill at whatever price they want, any slippage being applied by their software, based on what might have happened in the underlying market. As I see it, the only advantage of PS over other SB outfits is that you can scalp without being flagged, a privilege for which you pay in wider spreads.

IMO it therefore follows that they had no good reason to close a position 15pt before a stop was hit.

The minimum deposit is now £1000 , so what is the minimum trade size now? Still £10 per point/1 lot?

The minimum deposit is now £1000 , so what is the minimum trade size now? Still £10 per point/1 lot?

Now that trades aren't directly related to the market, why should they still have stakes and margins based on the underlying index, or whatever?