Prop trading Career advice

trader_1

Hello to all, I am new to t2w!

I currently work back/middle office within the financial industry. I am keen to become a trader/broker but opportunities of making the front office step up (broking side) seem to be few and far between! I am very interested in the markets and what with my line of job always involved and have access to see what's going on throughout the day.

I have been trying to gain some research on becoming a self employed trader and have been reading people's thoughts on this forum.

I realise trading is not for everyone and that it's hard becoming a good trader but i feel that if i set my self a target and learn some aspects of prop trading before taking the jump i feel i have the right attributes to do well.

I would be grateful for peoples comments and feedback. Also if anyone can recommend the below I would be very thankful!

Trading simulator?
Relevant trading books?
Trading courses?
Prop firms other than Schneider?

Thanks and look forward to your comments,

Trading sim, I'd say Investopedia (it offers both a forex sim and a stock sim)
Books; it really depends on which style of trading you intend to pursue, in terms of analysing a company's fundamentals you can't go wrong by reading Security Analysis and The Intelligent Investor. However they don't provide a great deal of information on the mechanisms of trading, just on how to value a business entity.

Trading courses are a dodgy area, there are, so I am told, an awful lot of rip offs out there. If someone is such a great trader why are they spending their time teaching other people their secrets for a fee? It doesn't stand to reason imo. Information, and in particular info relating to a consistently profitable trading strategy, is like gold dust for anyone operating in the markets.

In the end no-one will teach you how to be a profitable trader, there is general information out there, but you'll have to find your own, unique method; and if you do, I assure you, you will be telling no-one!:D