Price, (Volume), Support, Resistance, Demand, Supply . . .

do you . . . believe that anyone can . . . be a consistently profitable trader ?

It's said that anyone can be anything he or she wants to be if he or she is willing to do what's necessary in order to achieve the goal. So if that willingness exists, I don't see why not.

Given the time/effort you've invested over the years, would you do it all again ?

Yes, because I enjoy it. If I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't do it.

Its a well quoted fact that 90-95% of traders don't make it

This apparently stems from some brokerage study somewhere some time. Depends on how one defines "making it". But I don't see the pertinence of what someone else achieves or doesn't achieve. If one wants to be an Olympic runner, does it matter that only a tiny fraction of the world's population becomes Olympic runners?

Thanks for your answer dbp,

I like and agree with your Olympic runner point.

If you don't mind me asking another question, what do you currently trade and how did you get around to trading what you do ?

Porks

I trade stocks long-term and daytrade the NQ. I don't trade stocks in shorter timeframes because it's not worth all the work to me.

dbphoenix said:
Its a well quoted fact that 90-95% of traders don't make it

This apparently stems from some brokerage study somewhere some time. Depends on how one defines "making it". But I don't see the pertinence of what someone else achieves or doesn't achieve. If one wants to be an Olympic runner, does it matter that only a tiny fraction of the world's population becomes Olympic runners?

It matters to me. I'd like to have an idea of what I'm up against, before I take on the commitment. I like it when my expectations mesh with reality - I'd rather be mildly surprised than horribly disappointed. I'm not quite sure I understand your olympic analogy. If I train to be an olympic runner and fail to make the cut, I can't really say I it was a negative experience. I'm probably in terrific physical condition, and have learned alot about myself through the process. There was an opportunity cost to my training time - I could have been finishing school, etc... but I'm not really out anything...and I can out run almost everyone I know.

Trading on other other hand seems to be more of an all or nothing proposition. At one point in the 90's I looked into purchasing a franchise to operate a "day trading parlor." This was before the advent of high speed residential internet access - instinet and Island were just being made available to the public - The parlor had to have those licensed fellows in the red and gold jackets for it all to be legal. A large part of the business plan centered around how to get 'fresh meat in the door' - new traders who hadn't blown through their stake. It was acknowledged by the franchisor that almost all the clients would wash out. I didn't buy the franchise - for a variety of other reasons, but I always wondered about the failure percentage. Traders who fail to make the cut can end up in financial distress - particularly if they are using margin to leverage their hoped for gains.

I've been paper trading for 6 months and I'm just now having days where my gains out do my losses (largely as a result of reading these bulletin boards and learning how to sit on my hands). The trading industry seems to be designed to lure in suckers, and relieve them of their cash. I still can't understand why people trade with real money before they have a workable system. (I expect to be papertrading for quite a while longer).

JO

JO,

When you eventually do decide to use real money as opposed to paper trading, you will also find that it is very different to how you imagined it would be.

Paul

Porks said:
Jump Off,

dbp olympic point mirrored the reply I got from another highly successful trader.

His words were, 'OK, so only a small percentage are successful, but why should I think I wouldn't be in this group, I wouldn't start anything unless I wanted to be the best I can be, and I expect to be better than the crowd because most people just cruise. Anyone can be a successful trader, but most won't'

'Its simple, but not easy'

Porks

I'm getting the idea that you and dbp think that the majority of traders who fail, do so from lack of effort?

It's my impression that some portion of those who fail do so because they fail to understand the nature of the challenge. I'm most interested in the "profile" of successful traders. What separates those who succeed from those who crash and burn? What parts of their profile can I emulate to increase my odds of winning?

To go back to your olympic example, If I knew that it was common for olympic winners to train 30 hours a week, to be rigorous in their diet, to employ certain kinds of coaches, to have the support of their family and friends, etc.. Then I would want to do those things in order to increase my odds. If I learned that the main thing that separates the winners from the "also rans" was a desire to win at all cost - a willingness to put aside everything else in order to train, train, train, - then I would want to evaluate - Do I have that desire? Am I willing to do what is necessary? If not, then perhaps I should focus my efforts on something that does cause me to have that intense desire...

I've been grateful to have the opportunity to read this thread. It is my impression that understanding the relationship of " Price, (Volume), Support, Resistance, Demand, Supply . . ." is one of the key things that sets traders aparts from losers...
JO

JumpOff said:
I'm getting the idea that you and dbp think that the majority of traders who fail, do so from lack of effort?

Have you read the Demand pdf that I uploaded to the other thread?

JO,

I think many fail because of the wrong focus.

Many successful traders have a simple system, underpinned with a great understanding of the markets and how they work.

But it this understanding that takes a certain kind of effort. Its not something you (or at least I) can read in a book and understand (believe?) straight off.

Many people, myself included, want entries, tactics, but I think these change from time to time. What was an effective tactic in 1999 may not be as effective today.

But I believe the Livermore quote that 'Markets don't change', and traders with a deep understanding of the markets can easily adapt tactics as required.

My stab at the profile of a successful trader would be :

- Takes the time to develop a understanding of markets

- Study the price action

- Read/ Listen to others but test/examine every premise

- Focus on the above and not some quick fix indicator / system or other dead end

- Are passionate about trading, and would probably do it just for the challenge

FWIW,

Porks

dbphoenix said:
Have you read the Demand pdf that I uploaded to the other thread?

Yes - thank you for writing it and making it available. I have read it 3 different times. I expect to read it several more times (with some 'let it soak in' time in between).

I became interested in trading again (I traded a little bit with real money back in the late 80's and early 90's) as a result of my uncle raving about 4xmadeeasy.com. I was immediately put off by the "you can make easy money with hardly any risk or work" claims found on that site. But I was ready to look at trading in general as I'd like to change my career in the next few years.

Forex markets do not provide volume, and my account will be too small to day trade stocks. I prefer to be flat each evening. As a result of reading your document and the importance you give to volume, I will be looking into an instrument (futures of some kind) that have a volume component to their real time data. I am still in phase 1 of that 7 step scientific method.

In your document you talk about the fact that the stock market is an auction market. Is this true of all futures and indexed instruments also?
JO

Last edited:
JumpOff said:
Yes - thank you for writing it and making it available. I have read it 3 different times. I expect to read it several more times (with some 'let it soak in' time in between).

I became interested in trading again (I traded a little bit with real money back in the late 80's and early 90's) as a result of my uncle raving about 4xmadeeasy.com. I was immediately put off by the "you can make easy money with hardly any risk or work" claims found on that site. But I was ready to look at trading in general as I'd like to change my career in the next few years.

Forex markets do not provide volume, and my account will be too small to day trade stocks. I prefer to be flat each evening. As a result of reading your document and the importance you give to volume, I will be looking into an instrument (futures of some kind) that have a volume component to their real time data. I am still in phase 1 of that 7 step scientific method.

In your document you talk about the fact that the stock market is an auction market. Is this true of all futures and indexed instruments also?
JO

JO,
Volume is only a piece of information. If you're trading an instrument that does not have volume, don't worry about it. Price is king anyway.

In currency pairs, you have S/R, S/D, trends, trading range, price, and the speed in which trades are being made. Plenty enough information to make a choice on a trade.

Trade what you can afford, it all takes time.

sulong said:
JO,
Volume is only a piece of information. If you're trading an instrument that does not have volume, don't worry about it. Price is king anyway.

In currency pairs, you have S/R, S/D, trends, trading range, price, and the speed in which trades are being made. Plenty enough information to make a choice on a trade.

Trade what you can afford, it all takes time.

Hi Sulong,

How do u percieve .. "the speed in which trades are being made"??
Many thanks Roelof

rhk said:
Hi Sulong,

How do u percieve .. "the speed in which trades are being made"??
Many thanks Roelof

I have a small account at Onanda, and , when I'm trading it, I primarily trade usd/jpy.

When price approaches S/R , I view the main trading page, and observe the price change window. In that window, I can see how often the price changes.

For instance,starting around 8:00 am NY time, when the price is in between S/R, price will only change about every 7-10 seconds or so. But when price approaches S/R, price will change every 1-5 seconds or so.( just guessamating the time)

Just watch, and you'll notice a change in speed, depending on where price is at, time of day, and pending econ. reports.

Interesting point. I've been using this 'phenomenon' for a few weeks now, I've called it 'tick pressure', but it sounds exactly like the action to which you're referring.

There was also an article in the May-Jun 2004 "Traders'" mag (pg. 52) on 'Dynamic Charting' by Erich Florek which is also very close to what's being described here.

I started off (and continue) to use it as a proxy for Volume on FX, but have just this week also started playing with it on stocks/indexes where I do have Volume as well. Early days for that, but with FX - a noticeable 'edge'.

TheBramble said:
Interesting point. I've been using this 'phenomenon' for a few weeks now, I've called it 'tick pressure', but it sounds exactly like the action to which you're referring.

There was also an article in the May-Jun 2004 "Traders'" mag (pg. 52) on 'Dynamic Charting' by Erich Florek which is also very close to what's being described here.

I started off (and continue) to use it as a proxy for Volume on FX, but have just this week also started playing with it on stocks/indexes where I do have Volume as well. Early days for that, but with FX - a noticeable 'edge'.

'tick pressure", seems to be a good name for it, as I didn't know what to call it. Heck, I thought I was the one who discovered it. :LOL:

I think it's important, as a reminder, to mention to whoever may be reading this, observing the action of the price bar while observing the change of speed, and notice how the price bar reacts. If not, It's kind of a wast of time. :)

Wyckoff referred to this as well, though he didn't go into any great detail. Basically, it's similar to walking into the kitchen in the middle of the night and flicking on the light to watch the cockroaches scatter (or, if you live in a cockroach-free locale, running into the square and scattering the pigeons). At bottom, this is what separates true S/R from synthetic or genuine imitation S/R. If nothing happens at what one thinks is S/R, then by definition it ain't S/R. There needn't be fireworks, exactly, but there has to be some interest. Otherwise, the probabilities of price moving one way or the other are shot all to hell.

Where are we?

Is this where one would like to start discussing the market? Possible support and resistance areas?

Attachments

• NYSE market.gif
    NYSE market.gif
    52.2 KB · Views: 539
erierambler said:
Is this where one would like to start discussing the market? Possible support and resistance areas?

Why not? :)

One difficulty (of many) in the current market is this sort of S/R by proxy. The S you indicate for the NYSE worked out just fine, but the ES actually dropped below that to find S from 0831. Supposedly. But the S it apparently found was more likely to be coincidental. S in hindsight. And that can drive you crazy in real time.

Yesterday, for example, the NQ turned at no apparent R, but the ES turned at rather clear R. So if one is trading the NQ, does he trade according to what the ES is doing? Not a good idea lately, since they are finding S/R at very different levels.

This prompts a lot of guesswork in real time which I don't care for. If someone else has found a way out, I'd be glad to hear it.

Last edited:
dbphoenix said:
Why not? :)

One difficulty (of many) in the current market is this sort of S/R by proxy. The S you indicate for the NYSE worked out just fine, but the ES actually dropped below that to find S from 0831. Supposedly. But the S it apparently found was more likely to be coincidental. S in hindsight. And that can drive you crazy in real time.

That is so true. It is one reason I'm not ready to trade real time yet fulltime. Swing trading is easier for now.
The markets on the last swing have diverged and are out of sync. It is obvious with the Dow Industrials not making a new high with the other indicies. The SP mini has always went different from the NYSE because of the intense trading, but reversals trade at the same time.
I also follow the Dow Industrials and break them down between the active and the inactive. These normally trade together but on the last swing , the inactive were bought up tremendously to hide the selling on the active. If you still do composites, one can see it clearly using
1st: C,GE,HPQ,JPM,MRK,SBC,XOM.
2nd:AA,AIG,AXP,BA,CAT,DD,GM,HON
The inactive are stocks with lower volumes and higher beta. In other words it doesn't take much to raise the NYSE by buying a few of these. In the meantime it doesn't do it for the DOW and explains the divergence.
Anyways that doesn't help you in real time , but we still have potential S/R on the indicies. On another note the COMP and the DOW are under their 200 moving average. I'm only online right now early morning and at night.

erie

Afternoon people……

Okay, I’ve just spend about three days (on and off) reading through the entire thread from start to finish. It is a very good thread and, apart from a small scattering of posts, stays pretty much on topic.

The subject area is a very interesting one and is one which I, and a number of good friends whom I rate, have studied at great length. I approached DBP on another thread and he has invited me to contribute here if I felt I had something to say.

There are a good few points which I would like to raise. Some may have been mentioned before but, in my opinion, need reemphasising due to their importance. Obviously much of what I am writing is just opinion based on my own observations.

Firstly, I feel that is important to understand why we would want to make certain ‘observations’. As traders our primary focus needs to be set on detecting situations which allow us to execute a trade which has a better than evens chance of success. There is no other reason to study market activity of any nature. Because of this one needs to consider, at all times, the suitability of any method that one is using to establish such ‘opportunities’.

I’d invite anyone to express what their ‘ideal trade’ was.

My guess is that any subsequent expressions would all boast the same central theme. For me, one of the best scenarios is opening a trade and seeing it go immediately into profit. Who likes trades which go immediately against you ? Answer : Nobody.

With that in mind I feel that it is important that people realise that, in the back of ones mind, everyone is looking for the same thing. It is important to remember that there is no ‘holy grail’. I feel that this point is still lost on many people. Some very basic principles apply which separate the very successful traders from the largely unsuccessful traders. These main two principles would be 1) realise that you are wrong very quickly and apply a stop – what you expected is not happening so get out, and 2) realise that you have successfully detected a moment of high probability and set about managing the trade as to maximise any potential return whist hopefully reducing any risk of a loss.

The last paragraph or so may seem ‘off topic’. Let me suggest that it’s not. It should be at the heart of what all good traders are looking for. This is essentially where perceived ‘support’,’resistance’ and interpretation of ‘volume’ can help us. It can help us detect areas where ‘higher percentage probability events’ occur most regularly. Having identified such an area will hopefully allow us to plan a trade which takes into account, not only the higher probabilities, but also the fact that we will know quickly if our ‘higher probability event’ is not occurring. By quickly I don’t just mean ‘time’ but also ‘price’. When we place a stop, to protect our capital, we place it because of simple Money Management. We should not assume that out trade will only close (at a loss) because our stop has been hit. If we observe other things that are not in keeping with our predicted ‘high probability event’ then we should have no fear of covering quickly.

The problem with any thread like this, as I have previously mentioned, is that readers are drawn to it because they perceive easy answers to difficult questions. (ie holy grail again). The fact is that trading, especially in the shorter time frames, is a probability business. Come to think of it, just like in physics, everything has probability.

I feel that a few people here maybe under the impression that observing a series of price and bars will indicate whether the market will head up or down. This is not the case. All we can do is take a trade and then observe whether the subsequent action is in keeping with a market which we feel should be reacting in a certain way. If it is in keeping then we manage our position, if it is not in keeping then we close our position.

Having made those points there are a number of further points which I would like to make regarding support / resistance and volume. The real subject area if you will.

Firstly, in my experience, you get high volumes at price levels which market participants feel are important levels. This ‘importance’ could be for a whole multitude of reasons. For some it might be a sensible level (based on perceived S/R) to keep a stop, for others it maybe the perceived level that a breakout is validated. The market moving to a certain point may provoke fear in one man whilst provoking greed in another. The individual reasons why large and small amounts of trade occurs doesn't necessarily concern us. It is when they occur that is our direct interest. The market is an auction where the conflicts of short term supply and demand are resolved. The important words here are ‘short term’. This term is relative. When you trade you look to trade at key levels you are doing so because you believe that the higher volumes maybe causing a short term price anomaly. That is to say that the market is discounting something either too early. The result therefore is an opportunity to take advantage of a possible over or under pricing of any given instrument. Effectively that’s why we like high volume bars – we are hoping that the fact that people are ‘urgently’ doing business means that they are accepting / paying a lesser / greater value for something. Statistically these are times when we get either continuation patterns or reversal patterns. This is, in my opinion, because the slightly longer time frame balance of the supply and demand has been altered. People call this many things, ‘shaking out the weak hands’ is one such term which sums up what has happened. Effectively, ‘informed participants’ have taken advantage of the shorter term anomaly and accumulated / distributed the stock / future / bond etc. This effectively now means that that there are, on balance, slightly less weaker hands than there were before the anomaly. So, in the case of a stock which is rising, this means that the prices are slightly better supported on the next timeframe.

Secondly, in my experience, low volumes mean much less. The main purpose of low volume is to help us detect high volume. People seem to be attempting to attach too much significance to low volumes. Low volumes effectively means that the current price is not attractive to either a buyer or a seller. Because of this less business is conducted. It is my opinion that the low volume business, conducted, in the bars immediately after a high volume bar, is simply the short term differences in, buying / sell pressures, equalising in the current time frame. The anomaly is resolving itself through short term trade. I find that trying to establish what the market is ‘doing’ in low volume bars is pointless and, expressed in percentage terms, is little more than 50:50. Low volume bars indicate that nothing major is happening – if something has changed it changed in the high volume bars. Movement of price in the low volume bars may however be an indication of what has happened as longer time frame equalisation of buying / selling pressure takes time to resolve.

Thirdly, it is easy to pick up impaired logic when trading the markets. On of the most common bits of impaired logic (and it’s been mentioned in this thread), is the logic which states that we need to identify buyers and sellers. I have seen it stated that “It looks like stock ABC is nearly all buys today”. Implicitly this can not be the case. The simple principle of the market is that for every buyer there is a seller and for every seller there is a buyer. There is no third party which either facilitates or restricts trade (apart from the exchange itself which may from time to time impose rules or suspend business, however, these instances are very rare indeed). The only way someone or something can push a price lower is to create an anomaly. The only way to do that, as we have discussed, would involve large volume which, in turn, would imply that a particular price was important.

The market does not exist for anyone’s benefit. It is there to perform a function. If anyone suggests that someone is using the market to gain an advantage then I would suggest that that person is wrong. ( I await a barrage of argument on that point).

I hope this raises a few points for further discussion. In the meantime why don’t we introduce some realtime charts to the discussion. I suggest we keep it simple with the three main US Index Futures, ie ES, YM and NQ. Any takers ?

Steve.

Hi Steve
I have expressed an interest in this to db, and am giving it due consideration over the next week while I am away in Sydney. In the meantime it will be interesting to see any other thoughts on this matter.
Thanks for the efforts so far.
Cheers
Quercus