Possible picks

ChartMan

Legendary member
Balls on the line time. Things look like they've picked up recently. To that end, I thought I'd post a few from my selection list. I don't know what I'm gonig to pick yet , but if you pick one of these, remember you have to spit 50/50 with me!
LONGS:
BTG
BSY
EGS
ENO
ESY
LEX
MMT
MGGT
TGN
LMI
STAN
ALM
AMT
BG#
SPT
HSBA
FBT
FTF
FUR
LOG
KID
PJP
SIP
SPS
TBS
TFC
UTV
VOS
XKO

SHORTS:
TOX
COB
ARI
FI#
GHH
HAYS
RBOS
SMIN
STW
TMX

Hi Martin,

it's very kind of you to share your candidate list!

I came across many of these in my own research ( I don't have a single exploration) IMHO and as you will appreciate , many of the longs can be rejected as the short reactions will expire quickly (unless the FED gives a surprise).

There are however a couple of gems in there! I'm not sure what I'm going to pick yet myself but it is surprising how seeds will grow in the even most adverse conditions!

Darth.

A thought. Given the current volatility & uncertainty in the markets, one may not want to invest. So, where are the shekels likely to be kept in the interim? In the pocket, under the bed or some where else? Some where else may be an online internet account eg Egg. So, why not have a cash facility in addition to long and short for those who want to play? This can also be a reference point. A weekly interest rate a touch above 0% would still have beaten the negative performers, on both a weeky and rolling(?) basis. Me, I just like to keep on investing as I want the glory that comes with it!

Continuing the "balls on the block" theme, I have got a preliminary list from some trend following settings on OT. Still experimenting, and in reality, paper trading!

CPR
SKP
AMEC
SLY
AKC
MKS
JRVS
IPR

Mark

On the cash thing, I have got into BAY recently at 319.Substantial double bottom formed, with the most recent (3rd) forming a higher low and giving excellent support at around 300, with local support at 318.Resistance is at 385, extrapolated to 540 as a 3 month target.Next flutter may be in SOF for a safe haven for a while.
I have also considered HSBA, LEX,RYA and FTF.
I'm sure there are better ways to spend money than putting the cash under the bed (as Hill Farmer suggests).
I can't disagree that this would be THE safest bet in the current climate, BUT surely Somerfield/Tesco/Debenhams etc. must offer some small safe gain over the bed covers?
I,like a lot of others, have been battered to death by the Techs and this has left a bad taste in my mouth.But onwards and upwards.I've learnt a lot of hard lessons this last year and have resolved to learn from them. No 1 being practice what I preach. No 2 resign myself to a period of firm consolidation.No 3 continue learning from others.
Chris Manning said everyone must have a goal in their trading ambitions- mine this year has to be every trade will be a winner....
This will mean careful planning,and NOT jumping on the first tech stock rally with my eyes closed and praying to Allah....

In the end my short list was HSBA,RYA,LEX,FTF,TBS for longs.
I plumped for TBS for two reasons. First was it was picked by my Pase and MACD EDS and second there has been a recent sustained increase in volume.Third, it is capable of a 10% rise in a week.Needless to say the usual indicators are ok and there is positive divergence.
TOX got my short pick.I didn't really fancy anything too much and I even considered RBOS...
This week I HAVE to beat my son Dave. I just freaks me so much getting beaten by him.If his picks look like doing well, I'll just close em down...hehe

Martin,

You say, "I'm sure there are better ways to spend money than putting the cash under the bed (as Hill Farmer suggests)." This may be true, BUT YOU TAKE THE ATTENDANT RISK. All I'm saying is that cash is an alternative to investing in shares or putting it under the bed. Where is the risk in cash compared to the "better ways"? Sure, you can invest, but you take the risk that comes with that decision. If you are risk averse then go for cash. That's the only point I'm making.

A test for you. How confident are you that your long and short combo will beat any investment I make going long and short on THE SAME INVESTMENT (ignoring costs for the moment, giving me a zero return)? Alternatively same question, but this time I put my money into cash? No risk on my part, with a fairly certain knowledge of the given payoff. I may prefer the cash strategy as I'm risk averse.

Yes I agree Hill, I am risk averse now, and I have been in cash for a while, and slept better for it, knowing the risk factor is a big fat zero.Perhaps I misunderstood a little....and any investment one makes, at the end of the day, HAS an element of risk to the downside. Unfortunately, I'm sure most poeple chose to ignore that possibility, until one day they wake up......
And no, I would not be confident in the real world...but in the world of this competition, I can afford ( as we all can) to be a bit calculated and critical, and at the same time take a risk and be cavalier with our choices.Through this process, and analysis of other peoples' choices, I hope to improve my selection AND rejection skills.

Martin,

I agree with what you say. It all comes down to: risk and anticipated return are related. The higfher the expected reward, the graeter the risk that needs to be taken. What it's all about, I guess, is looking for those investments that will FOR A GIVEN LEVEL OF RISK provide the highest expected payoff.