Position sizing & Fixed-Odds Betting

rjay

I've been searching the internet trying to find a calculator to help me out with this but no luck.

I have a daily Fixed-Odds strategy that is about 90% accurate. When it is right it returns on average 50%, when it is wrong then the stake is lost (obviously). The most amount of losers in a row was 12, the most amount of winners in a row was 140. 6 losers in a row happens a few times per year as does about 30 winners in a row. There are about 10 bets open at a time.

How can I determine what % of my account to stake on each bet ? I started to write something in Excel but my brain started to melt ... At the moment I'm staking 10% of my account on each bet hoping that I don't get another 12 losers in a row, but obviously that's not a great strategy !! I'm really looking for something that can help me crunch the numbers but everything I've seen was for regular trading rather than fixed-odds.

Last edited:
This is a simple applet which might help shed some light:

Random Portfolio Simulator

Here, your Win/Loss ratio is 0.5 and your Win Prob is 0.9; Put in a high number of iterations (Lines Qty = 999 say), click on generate, and it shows what your equity curve could look like. It also shows the Kelly Value; the optimal percentage of your capital to invest in a single trade.

You can't really lose with the 90% accurate system you have described. The Kelly Value indicates your position size should be 70% of your equity in this case. If you are entirely confident of that 90% figure, you should go ahead and bet the farm, and not look back.

However, if the real accuracy turns out to be about 65% for example, then you're getting close to 50:50 odds.

Using Kelly value has the problem of large drawdown. I suggest that one use at most 50% of kelly criterion. I personally use 30% of kelly value for my fixed odds trading strategy.

The URL in the second post here, no longer works - gives me a Java error on every machine I've tried.

Does anyone know anything similar? (Doesn't have to be web or free)