Popular Nasdaq stocks at the moment

Naz

Experienced member
People often ask the question."i dont know any Nasdaq stocks"
So i thought i'd just give a list of popular stocks in the US at the moment and anyone else that has any favourites is welcome to add them.The graphs can all be wiewed on www.bigcharts.com.

Technical analysis is the same on any graph but because of the liquidity in so many Nasdaq stocks is very good, it works a lot better than some of the stocks over here.The list was quickly taken down this week as being the favourite stocks of 50 US traders at the moment.

Here's the list

PSFT,TMPW,CIEN,CHKP,VRSN,SEBL,BRCM,XLNX,VRTS,BRCD,JNPR,EMLX,ADBE,QLGC,KLAC,ISIL,IDTI,EBAY,HGSI,QCOM,RFMD,EMLX.

If you want to look at sectors they look like this $ABC although some software packages refer to them like this $ABC.X or $ABC-X

Popular sectors are as follows

Semiconductors $SOX
Software $GSO
Internets $GIN
Networking $GIP
Hardware $GHA
Biotechs $NBI
Telecom $IXTC

Last edited:
Here is my take on CIEN
Technicals
Volume Weighted Volatility: $0.1903 / Day (?)
Average Daily Volume: 9,659,537 Shares / Day
200 Day Moving Average: $5.9682 (?)
50 Day Moving Average: $4.6476
20 Day Moving Average: $4.0420
Closed down for the previous 1 consecutive day.

CHKP
Technicals
Volume Weighted Volatility: $0.7655 / Day (?)
Average Daily Volume: 3,064,968 Shares / Day
200 Day Moving Average: $19.7230 (?)
50 Day Moving Average: $22.9272
20 Day Moving Average: $23.7025
Closed down for the previous 1 consecutive day.

Hi Naz,
I'm continuing to research DAT and one of my questions was on this very topic.
Can you tell me what criteria you use to select your shares and if you follow a select few. There are so many shares out there that i believe it would be so time consuming trying to filter the prime candidates.

Cheers,
Mick

Ditto Mik's post Naz - how do you select them?

I know you 'play' them entry/exit purely (?) on Level II, but I'd also be interested to know what draws your attention to them in the first place.

And thanks for posting your 'ones to watch'.

My core trading stock list varies and imho people should develop their own list because this helps the understanding process and accelerates progress up the learning curve.
Check through the top 100 Nasdaq stocks looking for ones with at least the following basic essentials:
trade through a good range most days, move cleanly TA wise and are, of course, liquid with tight spreads.
You can add in hot stocks when they crop up - e.g. Chinese internets, security stocks etc.
HTH
Richard

Firstly the stocks mentioned above in my post were from 2 1/2 years ago if you look at the date of the post.

Next i agree with Richard that having a few core stocks helps.This can be to each individuals own taste.I want the most manic stocks out there but someone else might want more gentle stocks in a specific price range.As Richard says the Nasdaq 100 is a good place to start.

The next thing is to listen to the news and if security is hot,then find out which security stocks are moving.If airlines have got problems,then check out the airlines.Once you start doing your homework then keep a list of stocks that you find people are into and put them into a folder so that you can check them out at another time.

As an example.Recently many have been going on about the Google IPO.So check out news assocaited with it and ie you'll come up with Ask Jeaves.

Here's one of the latest snippets of news.

Jefferies initiates coverage of Ask Jeeves with a Hold rating and a $39 price target based on relative valuation methodologies. With nearly 70% of revenues derived from Google, the stock is likely to be viewed as a proxy for a publicly traded Google. Risks include heightened competition for traffic, revenue concentration with Google and a stock overhang.

Ok (a proxy for Google eh!) that might come in handy.Now you've got something worth putting in a folder and keeping an eye on.

Then a little later as you check the charts of your lists and you find ASKJ has some resistance at a whole number and a 50 % fib retracement.Chart attached.Now its got some t/a interest.so i'm going to watch it even closer.When it moves it can run through a few dollars,so there's some profit that can be taken out of it.Lets keep a tight look at it in future.

Thats the kind of thought process i go through.

Attachments

• askj3.gif
    askj3.gif
    22.5 KB · Views: 458
Last edited:
Thx for your response Naz. From looking at your chart it seems that a profitable strategey would be to sell as price hits the 50% fib mark-it seems to have done this a few times already. From a complete novices view would you go short if price hit this level and put a tight stop just above the 50% line. As i say i'm new to all this - if i'm talking out my backside please let me know.
Mick

Naz said:
Firstly the stocks mentioned above in my post were from 2 1/2 years ago if you look at the date of the post.

Just did Naz. Too late. Backed them all and lost all my money.

Can I have it back now please?

The great thing about Nasdaq stocks is that they move, so there's profit there to go both long or short.You build your own little Universe of stocks that have potential interest to move.Then apply your own your own trading rules.

Filter for the prime candidates: Suggestion

mik1973 said:
Hi Naz,
I'm continuing to research DAT and one of my questions was on this very topic.
Can you tell me what criteria you use to select your shares and if you follow a select few. There are so many shares out there that i believe it would be so time consuming trying to filter the prime candidates.

Cheers,
Mick

These short term, positive alerts are based primarily on user feedback. People use these to find stocks most likely to move up quickly.
http://www.trade-ideas.com/Config.p...D=.1&MinRD=90&WN=2+Day+Pos+1.75+Vol+90%+Range