Point and Figure

johnradical

Hi all,

I'm looking for software to play with point and figure charts for forex. I've had a search in this section of the site but all the results seemed mixed and a few years old now. Does anybody use a good point and figure charting software package on here?

Regards JR

Hi all,

I'm looking for software to play with point and figure charts for forex. I've had a search in this section of the site but all the results seemed mixed and a few years old now. Does anybody use a good point and figure charting software package on here?

Regards JR

There's really only a few that plot P&F correctly.
Correctly in that the chart is properly squared so that a 45degree line can be drawn accurately, otherwise you do not get a true idea of dynamic support/resistance. That said, your statement to "play" with means you may not be all that interested.
Anyway from the top, with some comments as I've used most of them

Updata, the best there is for P&F. Very expensive £1000/year and their data sucks. You would need to get the international version and add your own data supplier. approx £700/year + data costs
Bulls Eye broker. The best version was version 4, the old version which is discontinued and I can't find sold anywhere. The latest version is absolutely awful. the old version was the best £ for £. I have called these guys numerous times and they even admit the old version was better for P&F.
Market Analayst 7, lovely package very expensive, you need your own data and still doesn't have some features that updata has.
Stock charts, only caters for US data I'm not sure if it caters for forex, you would need to check
Sharescope, squares the charts and f**s up all your data at the same time so what should have been a buy signal could be your imagination. avoid this one if I were you
Esignal has finally been able to square the chart but the functionality is poor afterwards
Metastock claim they square the chart but you are left with no ability to then do anything with that chart, not even draw a line!
all other P&F don't properly square the chart but if playing is your thing and you are not taking it seriously, then pro real time has P&F which will provide the same quality as all the others I've cared not to mention.

you could try an excel version (I have never tried this, due to its reliance on manual intervention all the time and I'm a lazy bugger)

hope this helps. Given the cost part, and data then I'd first look at stock charts. if you want UK data feed, you are best going elsewhere
If there is any that I've missed then let me know and I'll throw in a comment about that one too :sneaky:

Last edited by a moderator:
There's really only a few that plot P&F correctly.
Correctly in that the chart is properly squared so that a 45degree line can be drawn accurately, otherwise you do not get a true idea of dynamic support/resistance. That said, your statement to "play" with means you may not be all that interested.
Anyway from the top, with some comments as I've used most of them

Updata, the best there is for P&F. Very expensive £1000/year and their data sucks. You would need to get the international version and add your own data supplier. approx £700/year + data costs
Bulls Eye broker. The best version was version 4, the old version which is discontinued and I can't find sold anywhere. The latest version is absolutely awful. the old version was the best £ for £. I have called these guys numerous times and they even admit the old version was better for P&F.
Market Analayst 7, lovely package very expensive, you need your own data and still doesn't have some features that updata has.
Stock charts, only caters for US data I'm not sure if it caters for forex, you would need to check
Sharescope, squares the charts and f**s up all your data at the same time so what should have been a buy signal could be your imagination. avoid this one if I were you
Esignal has finally been able to square the chart but the functionality is poor afterwards
Metastock claim they square the chart but you are left with no ability to then do anything with that chart, not even draw a line!
all other P&F don't properly square the chart but if playing is your thing and you are not taking it seriously, then pro real time has P&F which will provide the same quality as all the others I've cared not to mention.

you could try an excel version (I have never tried this, due to its reliance on manual intervention all the time and I'm a lazy bugger)

hope this helps. Given the cost part, and data then I'd first look at stock charts. if you want UK data feed, you are best going elsewhere
If there is any that I've missed then let me know and I'll throw in a comment about that one too :sneaky:

Thats very helpful and i'm appreciative of your response. I shall do some digging into the providers you mentioned and see if I get any joy.

Regards JR

Thats very helpful and i'm appreciative of your response. I shall do some digging into the providers you mentioned and see if I get any joy.
Hi John,
If you're not put off by price, I'd recommend adding InvestorRT to your shortlist. In my experience, it's head 'n shoulders above all others that I've used (but I've not used all the ones in malaguti's list). You can alter the aspect ratio of PnF charts which, as malaguti mentions, will mess up trend lines. However, there is a reset button so you can restore it to a perfect square with a single mouse click.
Tim.

Hi John

I am in the same situation as you - did you make a decision on the software for p & f ?

Andy