Plunge protection Team

Bramble ,

Do you think that the article TW highlighted has any merit ?

Not garbage at all, but the article most probably goes to far.

Want proof, well it will come soon enough. Just wait for a very bad downday on Wall Street and then see if your online trading system will work from your broker (Fidelity, Scottrade, schwab etc), these systems will all 'break' at the same time and you won't be able to sell even if you want to.

Qaza,
I am not some mad conspiracy theorist but I am not so sure anymore that this is garbage at all. The FED have mentioned on a number of occasions publicly that they have a policy of intervention in the Equity markets under extreme circumstances. The Japanese have been at that for years. Also The recent business with Precious has a very odd taste to it.
Is there any proof that this is definitely not happening?

TW

Of course govts intervene in financial mkts. After all they are the guys who change bank rates, issue bonds etc etc but this idiotic assumption that a secretive group of people exists to manipulate the equity mkts is nonsense

If Greenspan wants to influence the mkt he stars talking .............. simple as that ! He's done it so often in the past , why should he bother with a "PPT" ?

anley said:
Not garbage at all, but the article most probably goes to far.

Want proof, well it will come soon enough. Just wait for a very bad downday on Wall Street and then see if your online trading system will work from your broker (Fidelity, Scottrade, schwab etc), these systems will all 'break' at the same time and you won't be able to sell even if you want to.

So if we have a bad downday and my online trading system does'nt work that will confirm the existence of the PPT ?

Greenspan does manipulate markets with his mouth, we all know that, but then why does it stretch your belief if there is suggestion that more direct manipulation of capital flows also occurs?
For example, on Friday, when the data was released, the USD sold off, the equities sold off and gold and silver went higher. Within 20 minutes of the figure , they had all changed direction to go in the direction that is currently seen as "favourable" by the FED.
I just see this sort of price action a lot more than I used to and this was one possible explaination for it.

TW

" US financial markets are now based on the gambling whims of a special fraternity of Federal Govt DERIVATIVE dealers"

you want me to take this garbage seriously ?

As for govt intervention/involvement in mkts ................. sure it happens, to what extent none of us know but its great to have the PPT to blame when mkts do'nt move as we expect them to.

Last edited:
So if we have a bad downday and my online trading system does'nt work that will confirm the existence of the PPT ?

Maybe this explains why so many people complain TWS from IB stalls when the spoos get fast???

Just a thought :cheesy:

TW

read this.........................

"Incoherences in matter, and suppositions without proofs, put handsomely together, are apt to pass for strong reason "

Qaza,
I now know that you are just part of the conspiracy. They have people who trawl the Internet to spread misinformation to the populace and make sure anybody who speaks the truth will be discredited immediately.
You cannot hide, we are onto you. ;-)

Well, the Federal Register shows this as given. I do not know about the way it was put across in the initial link as you pointed out
" US financial markets are now based on the gambling whims of a special fraternity of Federal Govt DERIVATIVE dealers"
is rediculous. It is not gambling whims it is an attempt to hold together an economy that has been backed into a nasty corner and disguise the fact that it is rapidly heading for severe stagflation.
Why would this executive order be passed if it were not for the express purpose of direct intervention?
It is also not about whether the markets go where I expect them too or not it is how they move in correlation to one another that is strange. I have made my living in the markets for many years and recently things have just been moving in pretty strange ways. It has not meant I lost money as largely I don't trade directional.
The whole thing is just a point of interest. We have to continue to make money whatever other people are up to. I do not know how much truth there may be in rumours that the PPT are very active all the time but it is easy to believe when you see some of the post figure price action.

Here is the order pulled from directly from the federal register:
Executive Order 12631--Working Group on Financial Markets

Source: The provisions of Executive Order 12631 of Mar. 18, 1988, appear at 53 FR 9421, 3 CFR, 1988 Comp., p. 559, unless otherwise noted.

By virtue of the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and laws of the United States of America, and in order to establish a Working Group on Financial Markets, it is hereby ordered as follows:

Section 1. Establishment. (a) There is hereby established a Working Group on Financial Markets (Working Group). The Working Group shall be composed of:
(1) the Secretary of the Treasury, or his designee;
(2) the Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, or his designee;
(3) the Chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission, or his designee; and
(4) the Chairman of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, or her designee.
(b) The Secretary of the Treasury, or his designee, shall be the Chairman of the Working Group.
Sec. 2. Purposes and Functions. (a) Recognizing the goals of enhancing the integrity, efficiency, orderliness, and competitiveness of our Nation's financial markets and maintaining investor confidence, the Working Group shall identify and consider:
(1) the major issues raised by the numerous studies on the events in the financial markets surrounding October 19, 1987, and any of those recommendations that have the potential to achieve the goals noted above; and
(2) the actions, including governmental actions under existing laws and regulations (such as policy coordination and contingency planning), that are appropriate to carry out these recommendations.
(b) The Working Group shall consult, as appropriate, with representatives of the various exchanges, clearinghouses, self-regulatory bodies, and with major market participants to determine private sector solutions wherever possible.
(c) The Working Group shall report to the President initially within 60 days (and periodically thereafter) on its progress and, if appropriate, its views on any recommended legislative changes.
Sec. 3. Administration. (a) The heads of Executive departments, agencies, and independent instrumentalities shall, to the extent permitted by law, provide the Working Group such information as it may require for the purpose of carrying out this Order.
(b) Members of the Working Group shall serve without additional compensation for their work on the Working Group.
(c) To the extent permitted by law and subject to the availability of funds therefore, the Department of the Treasury shall provide the Working Group with such administrative and support services as may be necessary for the performance of its functions.

twalker said:
Qaza,
I now know that you are just part of the conspiracy. They have people who trawl the Internet to spread misinformation to the populace and make sure anybody who speaks the truth will be discredited immediately.
You cannot hide, we are onto you. ;-)

RUMBLED !!

qaza said:

No it doesn't prove it but it will prove what I said - You simple won't be able to sell.

It is in really nobodies interest for the market to fall sharply (apart from the short sellers and 95% people don't care about them anyway). This is the reason why nobody with power (govt, sec etc) bothers to do anything about the lies and corruption on Wall St.

One day it will come back to haunt them because like in Rome when the mob turn against you they are a force that are unstopable.