Picture: Why did Dell's price get down but the index went up?

Persson121

Here is an picture who I've been interested in.
I wonder why the index Dow Jones and NASDAQ went up and Dell company went down, then they fitt eachother like a glove then.

What happend in the middle of the picture? Why did Dell's line fitt NASDAQ and Dow Jones from the middle of picture to the right, but not from left?
Isin't a index a "company" who tell the moving average about the stock market?

2ds33g8.jpg

I would try to help, but I can't see the picture at work. Is there away for you to embed it into the post itself?

Here is an picture who I've been interested in.
I wonder why the index Dow Jones and NASDAQ went up and Dell company went down, then they fitt eachother like a glove then.

What happend in the middle of the picture? Why did Dell's line fitt NASDAQ and Dow Jones from the middle of picture to the right, but not from left?
Isin't a index a "company" who tell the moving average about the stock market?

An index is a weighted composite of all stock prices that are included in the index.

Dell isn't a part of the Dow Jones index so it has no effect on that index,and it's only a very small part of the Nasdaq Composite index so it's price alone has very little effect on that index. On any given day you can find stocks that move opposite of any index.

Peter

I have to agree with what Peter said. Also, take into consideration the time frame. I didn't look it up, but I'm assuming a number of things such as "news" and volume may have affected the price action on the day in question.