Physical Oil Trading

Paulie_5

I'd be interested to hear from anybody on these boards who is in the shipping industry - particularly anyone who is a physical oil trader.

I used to work as a shipbroker a few years back. My two main accounts were Mercuria and Litasco ... and I made a bit of headway with some of the majors - in particular Total. I also had contact with Vitol, ST Shipping, Trafigura etc

I have quite a lot of experience in shipping (4 years as broker and a short time working for a Greek owner) but I only ever got to speak to the chartering guys and never had any contact with the traders themselves.

If you work as an oil trader (in the physical sense), then I'd be very interested to hear from you and get some advice on how to start out.

Many thanks

Paulie

people here dont even trade futures, let alone physical

:LOL:

I thought it might be a bit of a long shot ... the typical fixture I used to broke (Naptha, Gasoil, Jet etc) the trader had to make $1m-$2m just to cover the freight ....

And I'm now working with an owner where a full crude cargo for our vessels is 130kt or 1million barrels .... I did wonder whether that sort of trader would be on this site ... but you never know ...