Pension SIPP advice

Evening all

Hope its OK to ask on here, are there any decent pension investment advice forums you could recommend? Or anyone on here a resident expert? Ive combined a couple of old pension pots and now have a SIPP to invest
Thanks all

My SIPP is with AJ Bell, and want advice on what funds would be better, and how to choose them. (I have another 14 years before I retire)

My SIPP is with AJ Bell, and want advice on what funds would be better, and how to choose them. (I have another 14 years before I retire)
Thats a BIG question so dont take advice from a random dude on the internet.
The only advice I would offer is to look at US markets and see that they place the highest value on their indexes, its like a form of national pride. And they make sure they always go up no matter what disasters hit them. Look left on the charts to check that out. Then check the FTSE and see how much we dont give a toss what happens to that. Japan has only recently made a new high above the 1990's levels so thats a gamble too.
Index tracker ETF's have always outperformed over your sort of timescale, so unless you think you can outperform an index (82% of full time fund managers can't) then stick with index trackers with a low maintenance charge would be my personal recommendation). AJBell have videos and 'helpers' to evaluate their ETF's charges and risk.
Factor in currency fluctuations and the fact that the dollar has started to rise and you might find that boosts your gain as well.
Also dont put all your money in tomorrow! Dollar cost averaging is also proven to be the best way to invest. Maybe monthly over 2 years (but take some advice on that or do your own research).

Then you could come and join us gamblers on the FTSE thread and swing trade a small amount and use the profits to hold a long term speculative investment like Bitcoin or Tesla. Who knows you could retire earlier.

The options are endless. Oh options ... no no no.

I'm sure this will be the start of an interesting thread.

"Index Trackers vs Managed Funds

Whether index trackers are better than managed funds is the cause of a fair amount of controversy in the world of investment. The evidence is fairly clear cut however, and it shows that index trackers beat the vast majority of managed funds over the long term.
For instance, a study by research firm WM Company found that 82% of managed funds failed to beat the market over the course of twenty years."

7 Best ETF Trading Strategies for Beginners​

Evening all

Hope its OK to ask on here, are there any decent pension investment advice forums you could recommend? Or anyone on here a resident expert? Ive combined a couple of old pension pots and now have a SIPP to invest
Thanks all
There's a YouTube channel called PensionCraft run by a guy named Ramin that may be of interest. He will not give recommendations as he is not allowed to, but is easy to watch and he has an easy going style of explaining things in a non mind-boggling way. Worth your time to take a look. Not going to post a link as I don't know if it is allowed, but you will easily find it with a search on YouTube.

There's a YouTube channel called PensionCraft run by a guy named Ramin that may be of interest. He will not give recommendations as he is not allowed to, but is easy to watch and he has an easy going style of explaining things in a non mind-boggling way. Worth your time to take a look. Not going to post a link as I don't know if it is allowed, but you will easily find it with a search on YouTube.
Looks good, he talks about US pensions and investments and OP is UK based but most of the lessons carry over.

Where To Invest 2021​

Invest now or wait.

Thanks gents (sexist assumption I know).... realise there will be days/weeks/months of reading to do. I've traded a few ftse100/250 over the years and realise if i spend my hours researching this, my retirement could well come earlier than many. Plenty of reading and Youtubing to be starting with... no doubt I'll be back with more questions, but thank all already for pointing me in the right directions.

Sorry Postman - Last question tonight I promise, you said "Also dont put all your money in tomorrow! Dollar cost averaging is also proven to be the best way to invest. Maybe monthly over 2 years"

Once the transfers have completed, all of my money will be in the SIPP. Do you mean gradually invest that over a period of time, rather than putting it all into my chosen funds straight away?

Sorry Postman - Last question tonight I promise, you said "Also dont put all your money in tomorrow! Dollar cost averaging is also proven to be the best way to invest. Maybe monthly over 2 years"

Once the transfers have completed, all of my money will be in the SIPP. Do you mean gradually invest that over a period of time, rather than putting it all into my chosen funds straight away? --- YES.
I understand all of your money is in cash in a SIPP doing nothing but I personally dont think its a good idea to buy an s&p index tracker with all your money today. Work out how much you want to invest in the s&p and then buy it in chunks over a period of months. If the index falls by 10% in a month - BUY it. If it falls 20% Buy it, if it falls 30% ... you get the idea. Buy the dip.
The same with other funds you intend to buy.

This has been around for at least 7 years and its still true!

This is a good website that just provides dividend info on shares. Appreciate it's no info on Funds, but nothing to stop you adding shares to your SIPP.

You can make use of it as a stock picker to drill down into looking at divi paying stocks.

I understand all of your money is in cash in a SIPP doing nothing but I personally dont think its a good idea to buy an s&p index tracker with all your money today. Work out how much you want to invest in the s&p and then buy it in chunks over a period of months. If the index falls by 10% in a month - BUY it. If it falls 20% Buy it, if it falls 30% ... you get the idea. Buy the dip.
The same with other funds you intend to buy.

This has been around for at least 7 years and its still true!
I was wrong (kind of).
Mathematically lump sum investing is better by a small percentage. But there is a higher risk over a shorter investment timeframe.

I was wrong (kind of).
Mathematically lump sum investing is better by a small percentage. But there is a higher risk over a shorter investment timeframe.
[Edited]
Not as straightforward as it would seem then. Thanks for posting this, I hadn't seen it.

Last edited: